Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can the Ouija Board become a religion ?

LostSouls7

Well a lot of young people now play the OUija Board.

It is a spiritual thing. Do you think that since it's spiritual and a lot of people play it,

that the Ouija Board might become it's own religion ?

• Like 1

It's already apart of the Spiritualist religion, which is more like a philosophy tbh. Link to their site: 

http://nsac.org/

• Like 2

An ouija board is a tool or a game. Not a religion.

• Like 2

The Ouija board was created for one reason.  It was designed to fool grieving or foolish people out of their money.  The planchette was manipulated by the medium hosting the ouija session. The Fox sisters being a prime example.  The ouija board was named by Helen Peters a sister-in-law of the man who patented it and commercially sold it.  Before it was called the Talking Board.  It is not named for the French word Oui and the German word Ja.  It was simply a name Peters blurted out during a seance.  It has been speculated that she was actually saying Ouida (a woman's rights activist she admired) and it was mistakenly written down as Ouija.  

The only thing magical about the Ouija word is its ability to fool people for over a century.   Whatever evil or spiritual experience you have with this piece of cardboard and plastic is what you bring with you before you mess with it.   

Edited by Totah Dine
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Totah Dine said:

The Ouija board was created for one reason.  It was designed to fool grieving or foolish people out of their money.  The planchette was manipulated by the medium hosting the ouija session. The Fox sisters being a prime example.  The ouija board was named by Helen Peters a sister-in-law of the man who patented it and commercially sold it.  Before it was called the Talking Board.  It is not named for the French word Oui and the German word Ja.  It was simply a name Peters blurted out during a seance.  It has been speculated that she was actually saying Ouida (a woman's rights activist she admired) and it was mistakenly written down as Ouija.  

The only thing magical about the Ouija word is its ability to fool people for over a century.   Whatever evil or spiritual experience you have with this piece of cardboard and plastic is what you bring with you before you mess with it.   

The only thing you said so far that I fully agree with.

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Your ringing endorsement is heartwarming....  

• Like 3

Fortune telling games have been popular in the US since at least the late 19th Century. As to "young people," romance is an aspect of "fortune" that is especially urgent at that time of life. Ouija offers the opportunity to explore romantic possibilities actively while seeking "a glimpse of the future." Basically, two people working the planchette together can, if so inclined, experience the "mind meld" aspects of two becoming one flesh, as the Good Book sometimes calls it.

I don't see how that would become a religion in its own right, but then I was the guy who told Jesus that people would never go for crackers and grape juice. Who knew?

• Like 3

On 4/4/2017 at 1:31 PM, LostSouls7 said:

Well a lot of young people now play the OUija Board.

It is a spiritual thing. Do you think that since it's spiritual and a lot of people play it,

that the Ouija Board might become it's own religion ?

It was used by healers, unsure if part of other practices such as granny magic or hoodoo (not voodoo as they talk directly to Spirit and unsure if deceased is part bu I would presume they are honored), and maybe it was just ouija board here let us try it out of the blue, but as I was saying it was used after Civil War as many lost sons, so it helped heal.

Spiritism then made it a part of their religion as their whole angle is talking to the dead.

But yes it can be it's own religion but preferably many should adopt it. I use it for healing. And maybe the spirits are healing us instead. After my sis succumbed to the disease of suicide we brought it out, she called her son a name only he knew, he no longer felt guilty, or less so at least as they had argued right before ;-(

But it helped hey, and maybe she needed that last for herself eh?

But it should be expanded, maybe use it to talk to your inner self, or to God personally and get a minion angel ;-) Or those that sing and praise, an archangel like Mike the Guardian.

Maybe use it instead of a cell phone, can you hear me now. Or to hack into something for the purpose of disrupting the harm some systems cause, or to add your own overlay of healing and spread it further. To get winning lotto numbers but don't be greedy, just small amounts and mostly to give to others in need, for some are and this could be a way.

I once wanted to to do energy work at a corner and saw a financial institution, I asked for money to appear for someone in need, 100, and they be given it now and it just disappears from there, maybe tossed as damaged and boom reborn.

I would rather it just go crazy and say wait, you are forgetting your phone, or the door bell will ring in four minutes. Anything to help those with memory issues, or mind scattered for a moment, and ideally others would have to charge them up as a good will duty, do a prayer over them, say move here but send it for another in need. Talk to another person using one in the 1800s when it was not ouija at all.

tl;dr version yes yes ouija means yes yes and it can become it's own religion, if people bond over it, then chat for a bit, or each share something, and it is part of their service, anything efficient.

Ouijas could also be made into some board game for fun times when bored if into that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, April 04, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Border Collie said:

An ouija board is a tool or a game. Not a religion.

Not a religion?

Telling others what is or what is not a religion, is a religion or part of one. Is this part of your religion or your religon?

Also a love of money for some is a religion and they might not know they are even practicing that religion.

But finally religion itself is a tool or game. By your definition then is a religion not a religion?

On Tuesday, April 04, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Totah Dine said:

The Ouija board was created for one reason.  It was designed to fool grieving or foolish people out of their money.  

What year was it designed? Who designed it?  Did the one who created it for one reason, to make money by exploiting the grieving or foolish, have a name you can tell us?

Or did someone use wood for a purpose and later another added letters while another used a weighted cord and swung it before anothet made the planchette?

If so were they all in cahoots over generations and countries to do as you claimed? Exploit the vulnerable to make money?

One of the first mentions of the automatic writing method used in the Ouija board is found in China around 1100 AD, in historical documents of the Song Dynasty. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija

Chess also has long history. You can use all this information to better solidify your position.

I do see you care about the griveing and foolish. It is likley one of your gifts is to help them, hands on, even if the hands are used only to collect or pass something along to those who need help in the grieving process and the foolish who need you to look out for them.

Maybe spend time with them only, help with meals for grieving, or uplift the foolish by interacting so through that they will learn from you and you might learn from them, they have more heart and you more inellect.

Don't forget the widow and oprhans as they are the product of grief.

The foreigner and impoverished can seem foolish as one does not know the language even if a doctor back home while the other might not have a degree and nice job but on their own time saved two lives, was always there for those in need, and even had a great grandfather who saved your own grandfather 

The planchette was manipulated by the medium hosting the ouija session. The Fox Sisters being the prime example.

True but that is one case. Can you count  the rest. Then count all who use them on their own for free? Or help others with them for free?  And count all those whp use them via ideomotor effect which is scientific theory of how a ouija actually work?

Are you also aware of the proof of example is a logical fallacy?

I know that X is such.
Therefore, anything related to X is also such.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_example

Or I know that Fox sisters faked the ouija and are prime example

Therefore, anything related to the ouija is fake?

Or even a one can say "I know my grandfather and father were cruel, so all men are cruel. They were prime examples. I won't marry or if so I know he will be cruel.

Then without knowing she will treat any man as if he was cruel and never open up, laugh, kiss fondly, hold hands, togethet care for sick child or enjoy life with them, and never have heart to hearts. My way or highway!

The good things, small things, that matter will be not for us. For generations. If we could only quash logical fallacies in ourselves we will be one step closer to helping, truly helping generations. We can travel togethet on a highway.

An ancient proverb tells if you want to get somewhere fast, go alone. If you want to get somewhere far, go together.

The ouija board was named by Helen Peters a sister-in-law of the man who patented it and commercially sold it.  Before it was called the Talking Board.  It is not named for the French word Oui and the German word Ja.  It was simply a name Peters blurted out during a seance.  It has been speculated that she was actually saying Ouida (a woman's rights activist she admired) and it was mistakenly written down as Ouija.  

Have never heard this before. Will look into it. YES-YES from French and German seems likely. 

If true or even believed falesly that it is from a German and French word I see the magic in that alone. Uniting thr French and Germans has been a dream for a long time and their division caused great suffering to many generations.

On Tuesday, April 04, 2017 at 3:22 PM, XenoFish said:

Bet there are many things that could be discussed where you can also fully agree with others.

Maybe listen more to hear more of what others have said?

5 minutes ago, I hide behind words said:

Only if it isn't filled with mystical b.s. then maybe. Too much nonsense accepted as fact because it makes people feel good. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, I hide behind words said:

What year was it designed? Who designed it?  Did the one who created it for one reason, to make money by exploiting the grieving or foolish, have a name you can tell us?  I explained this in my post. Did you not read it?

Or did someone use wood for a purpose and later another added letters while another used a weighted cord and swung it before anothet made the planchette?   What does this have to do with the Ouija Board?  

If so were they all in cahoots over generations and countries to do as you claimed? Exploit the vulnerable to make money? Once again, Ouija Board.. remember that?  The topic at hand?

Chess also has long history. You can use all this information to better solidify your position.  Good for chess.

I do see you care about the griveing and foolish. It is likley one of your gifts is to help them, hands on, even if the hands are used only to collect or pass something along to those who need help in the grieving process and the foolish who need you to look out for them.

Maybe spend time with them only, help with meals for grieving, or uplift the foolish by interacting so through that they will learn from you and you might learn from them, they have more heart and you more inellect.

Don't forget the widow and oprhans as they are the product of grief.

The foreigner and impoverished can seem foolish as one does not know the language even if a doctor back home while the other might not have a degree and nice job but on their own time saved two lives, was always there for those in need, and even had a great grandfather who saved your own grandfather 

WTF?  

44 minutes ago, I hide behind words said:

True but that is one case. Can you count  the rest. Then count all who use them on their own for free? Or help others with them for free?  And count all those whp use them via ideomotor effect which is scientific theory of how a ouija actually work?

Are you also aware of the proof of example is a logical fallacy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_example

Or I know that Fox sisters faked the ouija and are prime example

Therefore, anything related to the ouija is fake?

Or even a one can say "I know my grandfather and father were cruel, so all men are cruel. They were prime examples. I won't marry or if so I know he will be cruel.

Then without knowing she will treat any man as if he was cruel and never open up, laugh, kiss fondly, hold hands, togethet care for sick child or enjoy life with them, and never have heart to hearts. My way or highway!

The good things, small things, that matter will be not for us. For generations. If we could only quash logical fallacies in ourselves we will be one step closer to helping, truly helping generations. We can travel togethet on a highway.

An ancient proverb tells if you want to get somewhere fast, go alone. If you want to get somewhere far, go together.

Once again, WTF?

Have never heard this before. Will look into it. YES-YES from French and German seems likely. 

You do that....  

If true or even believed falesly that it is from a German and French word I see the magic in that alone. Uniting thr French and Germans has been a dream for a long time and their division caused great suffering to many generations.

That explains a lot.

Bet there are many things that could be discussed where you can also fully agree with others.

Thanks, dad.

And on a final note,  wtf?  O.o

I read smithsonian article that concurs with you. Ouida is likely inspiration. 

Still magical if so but she wrote not do woman's activism who were disliked by all back then.

Her novel has an interesting plot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Two_Flags_(novel)