Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How will God prove himself?

kartikg

I was just thinking, if God does come down to earth, how would he prove that he is god. Without breaking any laws of nature.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If god comes to earth. Does that m. ean god is an alien? And if god is an alien, who or what created god? Then the question goes on ad infinitum.

Or if I frame the question properly if God appears in front of us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kartikg said:

How would know it was God? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kartikg said:

I was just thinking, if God does come down to earth, how would he prove that he is god. Without breaking any laws of nature.

reminds me of my dads manner of thinking. he is convinced (if)  when god comes back with all his angels and the dead going back and forth we will experience mass communication loss. Why? because they obviously will knock the satellites down from bumping them....angels and the recently departed are bad flyers it seems.

where do folks come up with this s...? as far as laws of nature, god would have invented them or at least abide by them. just as our public officials supposedly abide by the rules they have made to keep us in line. many folks believe god sends storms, catastrophes and such as punishment on mankind. IMO any "God" worth his weight in spit would at least play by his own rules and not break them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, kartikg said:

Breaking natural laws would be the only way to establish oneself as somehow "divine," I would think.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Podo said:

Breaking na? tural laws would be the only way to establish oneself as somehow "divine," I would think.

what if he gives cure for some disease? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kartikg said:

what if he gives cure for some disease? 

That could be done by an advanced alien species, though. It wouldn't prove divinity. 

• Like 5

Well when you face melts off you'll know.  Worked for Indiana Jones. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Totah Dine said:

Well when you face melts off you'll know.  Worked for Indiana Jones. 

That could just be from the intense radiation coming off an alien battery that was mistake for the Ark of the Covenant.

• Like 3

On 05/04/2017 at 8:03 PM, XenoFish said:

If god comes to earth. Does that mean god is an alien? And if god is an alien, who or what created god? Then the question goes on ad infinitum.

Well clearly god is not human so by definition it is alien :)  In my experience god is an evolved product of the universe like us. Just older wiser and more evolved. 

To answer the OP it depends on ones definition of, or expectation about, the nature of a god

If a being fulfils ones definition of, or expectations of, a god then for that person it IS a god.

For me a human god must be;

So much more advanced than us, that it's abilities appear magical.  

Able and willing to communicate with human beings. 

Interested in,  and responsive to,   the needs of human beings. 

If it is not all of these things, then it cannot successfully fulfil the role/requirements of a god of/for, humans.

HOWEVER there are other god constructs of the mind which cannot physically exist but serve the emotional or intellectual needs of human beings, simply as thought constructs.

An omnipotent, omniscient, creator god, who preceded all else, and created all else, is such a mental construct. Such a god does indeed require magical thinking to get around the question you pose. 

• Like 2

God is a metaphysical concept, therefore god would be totally separate of this physical reality. There would be no god coming to earth to show himself, if that was the case, god would not be metaphysical concept but rather a physical reality of this physical reality and discoverable by scientific means, which is our method to understand the physical reality we reside in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Khanivore said:

God is a metaphysical concept, therefore god would be totally separate of this physical reality. There would be no god coming to earth to show himself, if that was the case, god would not be metaphysical concept but rather a physical reality of this physical reality and discoverable by scientific means, which is our method to understand the physical reality we reside in.

God is a psychological construct. Something we've created. Ourselves as god. 

• Like 7

As the creator of humanity, God may not want to show himself.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, XenoFish said:

God is a psychological construct. Something we've created. Ourselves as god. 

You can dress it as you want, God is a metaphysical concept, you can a militant atheist all you want and think god is a creation of the mind. Even thinking of yourself as god is quite redundant when it comes to the concept. The concept itself philosophically speaking and scientifically speaking is metaphysical concept, and thus beyond the scientific method as well. Get over it!

Edited by Khanivore
  • Like 1

Just now, Khanivore said:

You can dress it as you want, God is a metaphysical concept, you can a militant atheist all you want and think god is a creation of the mind. The concept itself philosophically speaking and scientifically speaking is metaphysical concept, and thus beyond the scientific method as well. Get over it!

Metaphysic's is a load of pre-psychology b.s. Been there done that. God like all the angels, demons, and other mythical beings are just figments of the imagination. 

• Like 2

Some gods definitely are metaphysical and psychological constructs.  Some are even nothing more than that.

However this does not preclude some gods from being real/physical, powerful, independently existing entities, which make a connection with human beings.

Interestingly, It  also does not preclude a human being nominating a real entity, like a cat for example, as a god.

EVERYTHING in the human mind exists there only as a mental construct. Take a dog for instance.  Whether it is a real dog or a fictional/imagined one , within  a human mind its existence is ONLY as a perception we construct. ie a mental, psychological, or metaphysical construct of the mind.

Only humans have this abilty to see reality separately from its actual existence, and to shape and construct their own individual reality within their minds.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, kartikg said:

Where does it indicate in the scripture that God is a physical being? It says God is a mind.

• Like 2

On 07/04/2017 at 1:32 AM, Khanivore said:

That is the only kind of independently existing, ie real, god that it is possible for a human to know If "you" believe all gods are ONLY metaphysical then you believe that gods do not actually exist as independent beings

• Like 1

On Wednesday, April 05, 2017 at 0:30 PM, kartikg said:

In front of who? All of us at the same time or just a select few? Not even the sun can appear in front of all of us at the same time, so would there be a pecking order?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RabidMongoose said:

Where does it indicate in the scripture that God is a physical being? It says God is a mind.

Mind is physical . How else can mind exist ?  The bible however actually presents god as a 3 dimensional being, consisting of body, spirit, and mind (self aware and directed intelligence) As with humans, the different aspects  are used for different tasks. 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2017 at 10:48 AM, kartikg said:

Strike the unbelievers down with thunderbolts?  Stop the Earth for a day?  Turn us into swans?   Or just turn water into wine?

I guess to answer the question the first thing we need is a definition of what you mean by "god"?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

In front of who? All of us at the same time or just a select few? Not even the sun can appear in front of all of us at the same time, so would there be a pecking order?

This presupposes a certain nature for  a god. Theoretically a god could manifest simultaneously, in multiple  bodies, even one for every individual on the planet, each one addressing and conversing with one human being   and, for example, talking to them about themselves. 

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Essan said:

I guess to answer the question the first thing we need is a definition of what you mean by "god"?

If you can define god. Is it still a god?

To the people of 10,000 years ago we are "gods". All because of our technology.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked