Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Colossal Squid

Saru

Here's an article I found this morning, but I didn't post it on the news board because it sounds like it could very easily be an April Fool.

In particular this quote :

"This squid is a really nasty aggressive sort of squid . . . a gelatinous blob with seriously evil arms on it. If you fall in the water, you're history."

blink.gif

Anyways, click HERE to see the article for yourself, and see what you think.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kismit

• LisaMHD

• Saru

• Halo_Jones

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres another article here

Grrrrr. I came on last night trying to find a link to this story so I could post it but I couldn't .

I mean geez and double sheeesh the specimen is less than an hour from my house. If I poke my head out the window I could probably smell it *sniff sniff * Yep smells like dead squid blink.gif

Thanx for the link Saruman. smile.gif

This does indeed seem to be genuine - PS I think I'll post that BBC News article on the news board, this looks like a very interesting new discovery.

rolleyes.gif

The Scandinavians have a creature like this in their folk lore, they call it the Kraken. It is so large they say, that it can drag a ship down with it should it so desire.

Just off the top of my head, there is a story out of Newfoundland in the late 1800's that details a small fishing ship being attacked. The story goes that they hacked off a couple of tentacles and brought them back to shore. One of them was carried off by dogs and they were only partials, but they were reported to be huge.

Of people who do this sort of thing for a living, the thought has been that the Kraken is what we now know as the giant squid. If the colossal squid is proven further to exist, I suppose this theory would only need a slight alteration to include it as well.

It is very true Saruman. The guy responsible for classifying the type of Squid it is , has had alot of trouble getting people to belive it isn't an April fools day joke .

Accoring to this evenings paper this is the first place Dr O'shea first announced the discovery Tonmo

Here's a link to yet another article as well as a picture of the Squid :

Click Here

That is one truly enormous beast.

blink.gif

Cryptozoology.com also has an article on this Giant Squid.

Even though I am facinated with the deep oceans and whats down there, Ill pass on meeting this thing in person thank you. Hmmmmm, maybe the reason we never see one of these things alive is because Megolodon is having them for dinner?? biggrin.gif

Thanks Kismit biggrin.gif

Would it have been better if I said "MMMMMMM Kalimari!!"? Sorry again, Im in a rare mood tonight, Im tired and facing a major haul of laundry tomorrow. YUCKY!! dry.gif

A chainsaw maybe?? wacko.gif Or maybe a mider saw?? Awwwww heck, just drop the darn thing in a large hot tub for a couple hours, itll stop squirmin after a while. huh.gif

Heres a Diagram of how big this sqid can get: wacko.gif

user posted image

It's amazing really, to think that such huge creatures exist in the depths.

It wasn't all that long ago when reports of giant 'sea monsters' with huge tentacles that could grab whole ships would have been laughed at as nonsense.

The Colossal Squid is truely a creature of 'Jules Verne Proportion', as a washed up corpse of one was famously described early last century.

Hmmmmm, youre right Kismit, Id recomend a natural hot spring, but how the hell would we get it there??

Would a rocket launcher do the trick? biggrin.gif