Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Super Earth has an atmosphere

seeder

Researchers reveal super Earth Gliese 1132b just 39 light-years away has an ATMOSPHERE and could be a steamy 'water world'

Gliese 1132b lies in the southern constellation Vela, and orbits a red dwarf star
    Recent observations revealed it planet appears larger in one wavelength
    Researchers say an atmosphere rich in water and methane could be to blame

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4387496/Researchers-discover-nearby-exoplanet-ATMOSPHERE.html#ixzz4dUdMfaJJ

• Like 5

Old hat, I've mentioned it here or in other forums hinting to ignore that other tidal locked special 5 crap recently, however , I'm glad they have it in their peepers !   Cripes it could have been another Gliese , not sure if I'd mentioned the exact same Gliese but certainly when I mention things in this world it falls on deaf ears. Recap: just glad they're checking it out. YEY !

Thanks for the post, best info on this rock right here and Unsolved? no oh Unexplained Mysteries, think I'll stick with UM !!!!!!!:rofl:

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

Do these people consider Venus earth like as well I wonder?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

Do these people consider Venus earth like as well I wonder?

To a geologist or planetary scientist Venus is practically Earth's twin.

• Like 6

If this is the first time an atmosphere has been directly detected around an earth-like planet, then surely that is big news. The fact that the planet isn't in the habitable zone is a pity, but is the most likely situation. To think that in just thirty years we have gone from having no evidence of exoplanets to now having discovered over 3,000, is amazing. And now an earth-like exoplanet with an atmosphere - the Drake Equation is getting better all the time!

Edited by Derek Willis
  • Like 4

At 1.6 times the earth's mass I'd weigh over 25 stone! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

To a geologist or planetary scientist Venus is practically Earth's twin.

To a human if you can't walk around naked without dying it's not, and for the layman calling all of these planets that there is no chance of us living on earth-like seems deceitful or maybe desperate.

Edited by OverSword

6 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

At 1.6 times the earth's mass I'd weigh over 25 stone! 

We'll just have to send thin/light people if we can find a way to protect ourselves from the temperature.  We can test the suits on Venus first.

• Like 1

WHAT THEY FOUND ...

GJ 1132b passes in front of its star every 1.6 days, from the perspective of viewers on Earth.

Does this sound impossible to anyone else? :blink:

21 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Does this sound impossible to anyone else? :blink:

Only those that are totally clueless about the way planets orbit stars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Only those that are totally clueless about the way planets orbit stars.

So you don't know either?

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

To a human if you can't walk around naked without dying it's not, and for the layman calling all of these planets that there is no chance of us living on earth-like seems deceitful or maybe desperate.

Accusing others of deceit because you don't understand why these planets are called "Earth-like" really does seems desperate.

It's really not that complicated:

Earth is a rocky planet.

Jupiter is a gas giant... unlike Earth

Pluto is an ice dwarf,,, unlike Earth

Venus is a rocky world... like Earth.

Gliese 1132b is a rocky world... like Earth.

Physically they are very Earth like. Surface temperature is NOT what they are determining "Earth like" on,

No one said that these planets are habitable. No one said that a planet had to be habitable to be classed as Earth-like. There are incorrect conclusions you have jumped to.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, taniwha said:

So you don't know either?

I do know, but I'm not the one making a foolish claim that something which is perfectly reasonable seems impossible.

I could attempt to explain Kepler's Laws and Newtonian physics to you but past experience of your staggering lack of even the most basic scientific knowledge tells me I would be wasting my time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Accusing others of deceit because you don't understand why these planets are called "Earth-like" really does seems desperate.

Earth is a rocky planet.

Physically they are very Earth like. Surface temperature is NOT what they are determining "Earth like" on,

No one said that these planets are habitable. No one said that a planet had to be habitable to be classed as Earth-like. There are incorrect conclusions you have jumped to.

Why don't they just call a spade a spade and leave it at that.  I think it does mislead people how they have labelled these worlds, intentionally or not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I do know, but I'm not the one making a foolish claim that something which is perfectly reasonable seems impossible.

I could attempt to explain Kepler's Laws and Newtonian physics to you but past experience of your staggering lack of even the most basic scientific knowledge tells me I would be wasting my time.

No, I genuinely would like to understand.

I'm more visual than mathematical so could you engineer your answer with that in mind, cheers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Earth is a rocky planet.

It's not I that jump to conclusions, it's the morons that come to me thinking this is someplace habitable every time they announce another "earth like" planet because they think to rub it in my face since I've told them so often that there are few if any other planets in the universe where humans could actually live as we do here.  The term is misleading and it would make more sense to instead refer to them as what they are, rocky worlds. 

• Like 1

Good job guys! (Toward the astronomers)

WHAT? Can't tell if it is methane or water vapor? Mr Sulu... Compensate...

• Like 1

I agree.I think this is fantastic.Detecting an exoplanets atmosphere is a great achievement.

Here is an image of Galileo's telescope   circa  1609

we have come a long long ways !

98557.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, khol said:

I agree.I think this is fantastic.Detecting an exoplanets atmosphere is a great achievement.

Here is an image of Galileo's telescope   circa  1609

we have come a long long ways !

98557.jpg

In the developed world most people are now living into their eighties. It is just over 400 years since Galileo first looked through his telescope. That is only five lifetimes ago (he was 78 when he died, so would appreciate this fact). The progress in the next five lifetimes will be so remarkable we cant yet imagine what it will be. Indeed, the progress in only the next half a lifetime will be spectacular.

• Like 2

If it haves an atmosphere and is rocky.....like earth, then its fair to say Earth like.  It just depends on what you think 'earth-like' should mean

• Like 2

It's been suggested that a close-in, tidally locked planet like this could have had any atmosphere it once possessed eroded away by stellar wind and radiation. The fact that this planet appears to still have an atmosphere may be explained by its relatively fast rotation, ~ 38 hours. That could generate a strong enough magnetic field to protect the atmosphere.

This planet was found only 39 light years away. So it appears that such potentially hospitable planets may be common. This would raise the prospects for life in space, since red dwarf stars, and planets orbiting them are plentiful.   

• Like 2

there is Titan right in our vecinity and it has an rich liike atmosphere

• Like 1

16 hours ago, seanjo said:

So a Planet orbiting a Sun in around about 38 hours is Earth-like? it's moving at a fair rate of knots and is very close to that Sun it seems, I don't care what you think Earth-like should mean, this planet is not earth-like.

Some people seem to want "Earth-like" to mean "identical to Earth". A long time ago, our planet was not as it is today with a breathable and relatively stable atmosphere. And nor was it located in its current orbit. Yet it was still the Earth! The definition of "Earth-like" can only be general. For instance, Jupiter is a gas planet and so is not Earth-like. Being rocky and having an atmosphere are the criteria for being Earth-like. The planet we are discussing meets those criteria.