Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

DNA of Ancestry

docyabut2

Anyone do the Ancestry DNA testing ? We did, on my Mom's  history.   My Mom`s  family`s story passed  down,  said  we were of the native Americans. The story was  my grandmother was a native American  princess, that was indenture into a white family, and  ran  away with my British  grandfather in his wagon, and had seven sons. All my uncles  who are now all passed on. My poor Mom 95 years old  has always  had her room decorated in Indian artifacts. Well now in  the testing says she is 0 native American and mostly  British  and  of western Europe.  All I can say is everyone should check out their families stories of Ancestry :huh:

• Like 3

I would love to do it!  On my Ukrainian grandmother's side there is some kind of Asian.  I would love to know for sure our complete ancestry.   We know both our grandfathers came from Denmark and Sweden.  

They are always a Princess or something   :) 

My ancestry gets lost in the   peasantry of  Galicia and Ireland,   some place  and some time back  .  

Great Grandma was supposed to be a Spanish Contessa   ......         sure she was ! 

Related image

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, back to earth said:

My ancestry gets lost in the   peasantry of  Galicia and Ireland,   some place  and some time back  .  

Great Grandma was supposed to be a Spanish Contessa   ......         sure she was ! 

Related image

My mom claims her great grandmother was an Indian princess as well. Funny how many princesses they had without being a monarchy. 

Did trace my family history back one time. Found out my family name comes from a battle between the Celts and the Saxons, if I remember right. 

Do remember that it means Dirty Water. 

Which is both a bit dissapointing, and... actually kind of appropriate.

• Like 3

My Nanna on my Dad's side has always claimed her side goes back to the Stuart's of Scotland. And my Grandfather on my Mum's side has physically traced his family tree back to a spiritual advisor for the English royal family in the 1700's.

But mostly we were coal miners in Coat bridge Scotland and mill workers in England. But I do prefer the exotic stories. 

I would love to do the DNA test and find out why the family looks Italian and middle eastern.

• Like 2

I am a pagan and my Danish grandpa came from a long line of Lutheran (if I remember correctly) ministers.  He told my mom his family had owned a castle at one time.  Wouldn't that be cool if it was true

• Like 3

I did the test with FamilyTreeDNA.

We didn't have any grandiose story passed down in the family, just that we were farmers and our ancestors were probably farmers all the way to Neolithic...
French Canadians and before that French, end of the story.

I did a basic tree, to see whether there was something a bit more spicy, and yes, there was! B)

One was a Swiss mercenary who worked for the Cardinal de Richelieu. You know, in these Three Musketeers stories, the bad guys in red? That's my ancestor! ^_^
I'm also related to the man who inspired Aramis from another branch, Henri d'Aramitz, musketeer. He's the brother of one of my ancestor.

On my women line, I have Catholic refugees from the Isle of Barra in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland.

I also have a jackpot couple from Acadia, he's a baron descendant of Charlemagne and she is the daughter of the Penobscot chief, head of the Abenaki federation. She's not a princess, she's a Dame, the French archives refer to her as Dame Mathilde. His wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Vincent_d'Abbadie_de_Saint-Castin

I have two other nobles who descend from Charlemagne and two other women from First Nations, namely Ojibwe and Algonquin/Abenaki. All my First Nation ancestors are over ten generations ago, but there's still traces of their DNA in mine, which show in these tests. It's about 1.7%, really, just traces.

• Like 4

My wife's sister's husband... my brother-in-law... was adopted when a baby, and he was always a darker tan, so his adopted parents told him he was part Spanish, or North African. And he had the Ancestry DNA done, and it turns out he was almost entirely British/French, with some Jewish thrown in. 

The interesting part is that he ended up being a 99.9% match with another guy here in Oregon, who had also taken the DNA test, and Ancestry suggested he might be a relative. Turns out the guy was his biological Dad, and they got together and turns out they have ten times as much in common then he did with his adopted parents.

Happy Ending....

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

My wife's sister's husband... my brother-in-law... was adopted when a baby, and he was always a darker tan, so his adopted parents told him he was part Spanish, or North African. And he had the Ancestry DNA done, and it turns out he was almost entirely British/French, with some Jewish thrown in. 

The interesting part is that he ended up being a 99.9% match with another guy here in Oregon, who had also taken the DNA test, and Ancestry suggested he might be a relative. Turns out the guy was his biological Dad, and they got together and turns out they have ten times as much in common then he did with his adopted parents.

Happy Ending....

That is a very cool story.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, back to earth said:

Related image

Sadly that seems to be an attempt by those of European descent to make it more palatable to be related to the "savages" of the Americas.

I didn't have mine done through Ancestry.com but I did have it done through FamilyTreeDNA. While there appears to be an indirect Native American element or two in my ancestry the majority of my ancestors are of Western and Northern European extraction. The majority of my American ancestors have been here since the 1600s, one even having owned land that is now part of Harvard University.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Adams

cormac

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Happy Ending....

Bloody hell, that's amazing. I've always been pretty sceptical of these places, but that seems to be a pretty good endorsement of that one at least, nice story too, thanks for posting.

• Like 3

Well yeah. Our family history was that we were direct relations of a signer of the Declaration of Independence. We did check and found that yes we were but our direct ancestor had been an uncle of said man and this uncle had been a Tory and sold supplies to the British during the Revolution. This explained why we left the United States and went to New Orleans and when that was sold to the US my ancestors went to what is now Oklahoma where our Choctaw Indian blood was acquired. That is all document based have not yet done a DNA test. Must do one.

• Like 4

I'm curious as to how much these tests cost and can it be confidentially done or do they require that they can inform any known matches in their database that you've taken a matching test.

• Like 1

You can chose whether you want to be in the matches pool or not. If you opt out, you don't see them and they don't see you.

There's four reliable companies for ethnicity testing, 23andme, Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA and Genographic Project.

($149.00, sometimes lower when they have a sale)
23andme is oriented towards medical conditions, if you don't have the stomach to read about your health risks, don't test with them. If you are worried that these info could mess with you health insurance, chose another vendor. They will also sell your information to medical research company, so if you don't like Big Pharma... Although you can answer "I don't know" to every question I guess, making your DNA worthless. That being said, the ethnicity report seems to be the most accurate, plus you can see where everything falls with the chromosome browser.

($99.00, I know it's going on sale from time to time, I don't know how much it lowers)
Ancestry is oriented toward genealogy, it has a huge database of documents from a lot of countries, but you need to subscribe with a monthly fee to access it.The DNA part is independant though so no need for a monthly fee, but some features are only available to subscribers. They also sell you DNA info, although they are not as well organized as 23andme. Their ethnicity report is getting better. They don't have chromosome browser, so you will have to use gedmatch for it.

($79.00, it usually lower to $59.00 on special)
FamilyTreeDNA or specialized into genetic genealogy. They have their own labs in Texas, form where your DNA never leave and they don't sell your info. Also, they dodge the critical area where most of the medical condition genes are. So no problem with insurance company. Their ethnicity calculator is a bit behind peers, but it does indicate my parents' and my traces of North American DNA. Continent-wise, these tests are rather reliable, so Native American vs European is easy to pick, but French vs German is another story.

($149.00 for the moment, usually $199.00)
Genographic is a creation of National Geographic, their goal is retrace the movement of human population from origin to today. They give you an ethnicity result, with no match, no question, no information selling and nothing which could give you trouble with you insurance company. Although some consumers are a bit disappointed they don't have much to do with their result once they get them.

You may be wondering, why are 23andme and Genographic about 50% more expensive? On top of the 22 non-sexual chromosomes which reshuffle every generation, they also test the Y chromosome and organelle outside of the cell core named mitochondria. Y is given from father to sons unshuffled with the mother DNA, the rare mutations gives us a clear path were one's male ancestors came from and where they moved between about 200,000 years ago and now. Mitochondria are passed from mother to all her children, only her daughters will pass them on. Same as Y, it gives us a clear path where the line of ancestresses moved these last 150,000 years. If on the all male or all female line you expect a Native American, these Y and mito test can gives you straight answers as Native American Y and mito DNA signature is quite different from European and even Asian.

Ancestry don't do these tests, but FamilyTreeDNA propose them à la carte. 23andme and Genographic test are basic, FTDNA propose a wide range of much more complete test, but they can get quite pricey. Also FTDNA is the only one which gives matches for Y and mito DNA.

But here's a blog entry about this from someone more educated than me on the subject:
https://dna-explained.com/2016/01/22/genealogy-and-ethnicity-dna-testing-3-legitimate-companies/

If you don't want to pay full price, wait between Black Friday and Christmas, everyone is on sales.

I took FTDNA because my all female line is one of my shortest. I know a professional genealogist who went back in Barra to find more records, there simply is none. I needed her full mito signature and I needed matches to confirm her signature and to hint where to search next. I also took the admixture test, hoping to validate some lines in my tree.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, skliss said:

I'm curious as to how much these tests cost and can it be confidentially done or do they require that they can inform any known matches in their database that you've taken a matching test.

Well we paid over two hundred dollars for the test on my Mom and Daughter, but it is worth it to find out where  our ancestors  really came from and,where in the hell our family really came from:o  all I can say is DNA testing  does not really  lie.:)  

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

Well in my case of  my Mom`s ancestry, I believe what I found out  that my grandfather made up this story, of being related to the American  Indians ,because he had a  ancestor  that was Jewish. Mom`s DNA  was 2%  Jewish. And in those days when the Jews  in eastern Europe were so persecuted.  He then in America  tired to cover it up. I did the census and his grand father was called Solomon .   

• Like 2

I wanna get this done I'm Italian and german, and irish, most of my friends who had it done are Italian were like 5 percent jewish which is cool,

I've apparently got a little Denisovian in me (not too uncommon in SE Asia).  Wow!  I actually share some genes with a tooth found in a cave in Russia.

• Like 3

Caucasus
3%

In my daughter  DNA testing from her father  side is 3%Caucasus, gee wish we could learn we are of all nations and we  can get along :)

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

I've apparently got a little Denisovian in me (not too uncommon in SE Asia).  Wow!  I actually share some genes with a tooth found in a cave in Russia.

Frank get your DNA check out and then you will  really  know  :)

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

Oh they tested everyone in the town for free; it is not uncommon here I hear.  I don't think it means much to us as people -- it has to do with research on early human migration, but it was interesting.  I don't think they tested for anything else though.

21 hours ago, glorybebe said:

I am a pagan and my Danish grandpa came from a long line of Lutheran (if I remember correctly) ministers.  He told my mom his family had owned a castle at one time.  Wouldn't that be cool if it was true

I dont see why ..... unless you get to inherit the  castle .

1 hour ago, Frank Merton said:

Frank Denis Merton     :)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, back to earth said:

I dont see why ..... unless you get to inherit the  castle .

Because family history to me is interesting.  And if I ever got to Denmark it would be amazing to walk the same places my ancestors did.  Being that we are on a thread about ancestry and where we come from I would think it would be obvious.