Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
UM-Bot

'Doomsday' library joins Norway seed vault

5 posts in this topic

Hey, perhaps this is where Rod Taylor went in his time machine. Exotic plants, loads of books, makes sense. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

A new facility for archiving some of the world's most important literature has opened in the Arctic.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/306336/doomsday-library-joins-norway-seed-vault

It's sad that these kind of vaults exist around the world. I only hope it is because of natural disasters rather than wars when they are used.

Edited by White Unicorn
2 people like this

12 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

It's sad that these kind of vaults exist around the world. I only hope it is because of natural disasters rather than wars when they are used.

I agree, but I'm glad that they are considering the fact that we could destroy our civilization (such as it is) someday.

2 people like this

500 years? That's pretty sad, actually. We're such an "advanced" culture yet 500 years is all we can guarantee storage of materials? The Gutenberg Bible was printed on movable type and is the oldest known mechanically produced book. There are still 48 of these in existence and many still look fairly new- they are estimated to be 559 years old. There are other books that are twice this old that are still usable. This is what scares me about the Internet, one really big magnetic event and all of this "knowledge" is wiped out and without electricity it is not accessible even if undamaged.