Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Camilla will be Queen one day

Still Waters

On 09/04/2017 at 6:56 PM, glorybebe said:

I think the monarchy is outdated. 

I think republics are outdated. Rome was a republic. Constitutional monarchy is the best form of governance in the world today. And as for cost, you Canadians don't pay for your royal family. The British pay for it. And an awful republic would be much more expensive.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

On 09/04/2017 at 8:29 PM, Claire. said:

But seriously, who are these more German than English people? Why bow and scrape to a bunch of tourist attractions? Aside from the Queen, I don't see any of them making any real contribution. I read somewhere that Camilla is even claiming an unemployment benefit. And their horses keep trying to run away. I know, I nearly got run over by one.

More German than English? How many of them were born in Germany? The Queen was born in Mayfair to a mother and father who were born in England. I don't think the Queen ever visited Germany until she was around 39 years old.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 2

On 09/04/2017 at 9:21 PM, spud the mackem said:

I don't mind the Queen but I do mind the guy who talks to trees and his shabby looking Mrs who wears some crap headgear,but even he is preferable to someone like Bliar or Cor-bin.

You do realise that talking to plants is commong amongst gardeners? Gardeners believe that talking to their plants helps them to grow. Is a common thing amongst gardeners and not restricted to Prince Charles.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Black Monk said:

You do realise that talking to plants is commong amongst gardeners? Gardeners believe that talking to their plants helps them to grow. Is a common thing amongst gardeners and not restricted to Prince Charles.

Not just a common quirk of gardeners, it actually is beneficial for plants. 

Maybe spuds getting mixed up with George III :-P

• Like 1

On 09/04/2017 at 8:29 PM, Claire. said:

But seriously, who are these more German than English people? Why bow and scrape to a bunch of tourist attractions? Aside from the Queen, I don't see any of them making any real contribution. I read somewhere that Camilla is even claiming an unemployment benefit. And their horses keep trying to run away. I know, I nearly got run over by one.

You must be a fully paid up member of the BNP how long does someone have to be in the country to be classed as British, George 11 was the last Monarch not to have been born in Britain 1683, the line can be traced back to Alfred the great.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2017 at 0:59 PM, Black Monk said:

You'd also, arguably, get more intelligent conversation talking to a plant than many human beings these days :yes:

• Like 2

William is the way to go for me, and replacing one dinosaur with another isn't.

Maybe William could drag this archaic institution into the 21st century.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 5:08 PM, Soccergirl13 said:

Well since the Queens' mother lived to 101 let's hope she still has 10 years left and outlives Camilla. 

Here is one person who can't stand this woman at all along with her husband. But also because I really liked Princess Diana. 

How about jumping one generation and give the crown to William? 

I'm with you there. But, I think one thing is I'm sure of, Charles and Camilla are really devoted to each other. It makes me wonder, if they should have gotten married the first time. I know, I know, things were different then and there were other things to consider. 

On 4/9/2017 at 5:17 PM, glorybebe said:

There was actually some talk about that.  Elizabeth should have abdicated and given the crown to Charles years ago, according to some articles I read when Diana passed.  There was speculation that Elizabeth does not think Charles would make a good King.

From what I understand, ( if you guys don't mind my American thoughts. :unsure: ) That's not her character. Even when other monarchs are abdicating for their children. 

On 4/13/2017 at 7:24 AM, Why not said:

Please excuse my American ignorance, but why is it that everyone hates Camilla?  I know she is no beauty queen, but I never could figure out why she has always been trashed by you all over there.

I remember hearing  when Chucky and Diana first were married about how Camilla was his first love but the Queen didn't like her. Or something like that, but what has she done to be so despised?

Do you want an answer from another American? :w00t:  For me, she was not just the 'other woman' but I have felt, from what I have read and seen over the years, that she pretty much felt Diana would keep quiet and naive about the whole thing. 

On 4/16/2017 at 9:47 AM, hetrodoxly said:
On 4/9/2017 at 3:29 PM, Claire. said:

You must be a fully paid up member of the BNP how long does someone have to be in the country to be classed as British, George 11 was the last Monarch not to have been born in Britain 1683, the line can be traced back to Alfred the great.

I know Queen Victoria was born in England, but her husband was born in Germany. Plus, her mother is from Germany, so I could understand why they saw more German than English in the royal family then. Frankly, by the time William takes the crown, then I would think it's more English than German. 

• Like 1

As an American I find listening to the locals' perspectives on this whole royalty thing fascinating. 

On 4/9/2017 at 10:47 AM, Still Waters said:

As Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall mark their 12th wedding anniversary, a constitutional expert has told Sky News that Camilla will be Queen one day - even if the public doesn't like the idea.

There has been growing interest in what will happen at the time of succession when Prince Charles becomes King, including what title Camilla will be given.

But Lord Norton of Louth, a peer in the House of Lords and professor at the University of Hull, says the constitutional position is very clear.

http://news.sky.com/story/camilla-will-be-queen-one-day-constitutional-expert-says-10831244

I'm a bit confused by this... I fail to see how Camilla would be queen merely due to marriage right?

To my understanding, and this may be my mistake but... there is a difference between queen and queen consort. A queen has ruling rights in her own right, and a queen consort is wed to the ruler, and does not have ruling rights in their own right. Camilla would become Queen Consort, not Queen.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I know Queen Victoria was born in England, but her husband was born in Germany. Plus, her mother is from Germany, so I could understand why they saw more German than English in the royal family then. Frankly, by the time William takes the crown, then I would think it's more English than German. 

Let's see in more details...

Generation 1
Elizabeth II: born in 1926, London, UK

Generation 2
George VI: 1895, Sandringham, UK
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon: 1900, London, UK

Generation 3
George V: 1865, London, UK
Mary of Teck: 1867, London, UK
Claude Bowes-Lyon: 1855, London, UK
Cecilia Cavendish-Bentinck: 1862, London, UK

Generation 4
Edward VII: 1841, London, UK
Alexandra of Danmark: 1844, Copenhaguen, Danmark
Francis of Wurtemberg: 1837, Osijek, Slavonia (today Croatia)
Mary Adelaide of Cambridge: 1833, Hanover, Germany
Claude Bowes-Lyon: 1824, Redbourn, UK
Frances Smith: 1832, Marylebone, UK
Charles Cavendish-Bentinck: 1817, Kensington, UK
Caroline Louisa Burnaby: 1832?, Leicester, UK

Generation 5
Albert of Saxe-Cobourg-Gotha: 1819, Coburg, Germany
Victoria : 1819, London, UK
Christian IX of Danemark: 1818, Schleswig, in today's Germany
Louise of Hesse-Kassel: 1817, Kassel Germany
Alexander of Wurtenberg: 1804, St.Petersburg, Russia (although both parents were born in Germany)
Klaudina Rhédey von Kis-Rhéde: 1812, Erdőszentgyörgy, Transylvania (today Hungary)
Prince Adolphus: 1774, London, UK
Augusta of Hesse-Kassel: 1797, Offenbach am Main, today's Germany
Thomas Lyon-Bowes: 1801, probably somewhere in UK
Charlotte Grimstead: 1797, probably somewhere in UK
Oswald Smith: 1794, Marylebone, UK
Henrietta Mildred Hodgson: 1805, Carlisle, UK
Charles Cavendish-Bentinck: 1780, probably somewhere in UK
Anne Wellesley: 1788, probably somewhere in UK
Edwyn Burnaby: 1798, probably somewhere in UK
Anne Caroline Salisbury: 1805, Fordington, UK

The ones I wrote as born "probably somewhere in UK" were lesser nobility with parents who already owned titles in Britain, so unless their mother was on a trip or something, thye have to be born in UK. Her mother really save her credibility, with 8 on 8 great-grand-parents born in UK. Her father was half German, a quarter British, a eighth Russian-German and a eighth Transylvanian.

So Elizabeth II would be 10/16th British, 5/16th German and 1/16th Transylvanian.

Edit: Charles's father really is mostly German, so Charles would seems less credible than his mother, although Diana has 8 on 8 British great-grand-parent, so William's ancestry looks better. And even better for George with Kate's 16 on 16 British great-great-grand-parents.

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rashore said:

I'm a bit confused by this... I fail to see how Camilla would be queen merely due to marriage right?

To my understanding, and this may be my mistake but... there is a difference between queen and queen consort. A queen has ruling rights in her own right, and a queen consort is wed to the ruler, and does not have ruling rights in their own right. Camilla would become Queen Consort, not Queen.

Well yes there is Queen regnants ( Mary the first and second, Anne, Mary the second's sister, Elizabeth the first and second, Victoria) and the consorts, the wives of  kings. Yes, there is a difference.  Also, despite being known as the Duchess of Cornwell, through marriage, she is also the current Princess of Wales. I'm assuming she could prefer to be known as this but chooses not to for sensitive reasons. I think, legally she has that right, correct? 

1 hour ago, Gingitsune said:

Let's see in more details...

Generation 1
Elizabeth II: born in 1926, London, UK

Generation 2
George VI: 1895, Sandringham, UK
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon: 1900, London, UK

Generation 3
George V: 1865, London, UK
Mary of Teck: 1867, London, UK
Claude Bowes-Lyon: 1855, London, UK
Cecilia Cavendish-Bentinck: 1862, London, UK

Generation 4
Edward VII: 1841, London, UK
Alexandra of Danmark: 1844, Copenhaguen, Danmark
Francis of Wurtemberg: 1837, Osijek, Slavonia (today Croatia)
Mary Adelaide of Cambridge: 1833, Hanover, Germany
Claude Bowes-Lyon: 1824, Redbourn, UK
Frances Smith: 1832, Marylebone, UK
Charles Cavendish-Bentinck: 1817, Kensington, UK
Caroline Louisa Burnaby: 1832?, Leicester, UK

Generation 5
Albert of Saxe-Cobourg-Gotha: 1819, Coburg, Germany
Victoria : 1819, London, UK
Christian IX of Danemark: 1818, Schleswig, in today's Germany
Louise of Hesse-Kassel: 1817, Kassel Germany
Alexander of Wurtenberg: 1804, St.Petersburg, Russia (although both parents were born in Germany)
Klaudina Rhédey von Kis-Rhéde: 1812, Erdőszentgyörgy, Transylvania (today Hungary)
Prince Adolphus: 1774, London, UK
Augusta of Hesse-Kassel: 1797, Offenbach am Main, today's Germany
Thomas Lyon-Bowes: 1801, probably somewhere in UK
Charlotte Grimstead: 1797, probably somewhere in UK
Oswald Smith: 1794, Marylebone, UK
Henrietta Mildred Hodgson: 1805, Carlisle, UK
Charles Cavendish-Bentinck: 1780, probably somewhere in UK
Anne Wellesley: 1788, probably somewhere in UK
Edwyn Burnaby: 1798, probably somewhere in UK
Anne Caroline Salisbury: 1805, Fordington, UK

The ones I wrote as born "probably somewhere in UK" were lesser nobility with parents who already owned titles in Britain, so unless their mother was on a trip or something, thye have to be born in UK. Her mother really save her credibility, with 8 on 8 great-grand-parents born in UK. Her father was half German, a quarter British, a eighth Russian-German and a eighth Transylvanian.

So Elizabeth II would be 10/16th British, 5/16th German and 1/16th Transylvanian.

Edit: Charles's father really is mostly German, so Charles would seems less credible than his mother, although Diana has 8 on 8 British great-grand-parent, so William's ancestry looks better. And even better for George with Kate's 16 on 16 British great-great-grand-parents.

Thank you, that was well done.  And I was forgetting Phillip's history.

on a side note,  isn't there some American history on Diana's side?? 

3 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Thank you, that was well done.  And I was forgetting Phillip's history.

on a side note,  isn't there some American history on Diana's side?? 

That would be Frances Ellen Work, Diana's great-grand-mother, but I would guess she is mostly British anyway, both her parents have English names, so I didn't investigated further.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Well yes there is Queen regnants ( Mary the first and second, Anne, Mary the second's sister, Elizabeth the first and second, Victoria) and the consorts, the wives of  kings. Yes, there is a difference.  Also, despite being known as the Duchess of Cornwell, through marriage, she is also the current Princess of Wales. I'm assuming she could prefer to be known as this but chooses not to for sensitive reasons. I think, legally she has that right, correct? 

I'm not sure Camilla would qualify for Queen Regnant. The line of succession is already secured through William. So there wouldn't be cause to raise Camilla as Regnant. But I suppose if for some reason Charles, William, and Kate were knocked out, Camilla might become regent over Williams kids? I'm not sure if that works or not.. She would become Dowager, but at this point my knowledge of how succession happens is fuzzy. Maybe Harry would become regent? Someone would be regent till Williams kid was old enough to be regnant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gingitsune said:

That would be Frances Ellen Work, Diana's great-grand-mother, but I would guess she is mostly British anyway, both her parents have English names, so I didn't investigated further.

I thought that Frances's parents were also native Americans (native: born and raised in America) as Frances was.This site talks about that.

2 hours ago, rashore said:

I'm not sure Camilla would qualify for Queen Regnant.

From what I understand, ( I should have mentioned this the earlier post. ) Regnant is the Queen who is the ruler or reigning. The other, Queen consort, is the wife of a monarch. In which, Camilla would be when Charles ascends the throne. I think it's debated, whether she is to be known as Queen consort or Princess consort, in which I got from the article. 

48 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I thought that Frances's parents were also native Americans (native: born and raised in America) as Frances was.This site talks about that.

From what I understand, ( I should have mentioned this the earlier post. ) Regnant is the Queen who is the ruler or reigning. The other, Queen consort, is the wife of a monarch. In which, Camilla would be when Charles ascends the throne. I think it's debated, whether she is to be known as Queen consort or Princess consort, in which I got from the article. 

Ah, and Camilla is not regnant, nor are there plans to raise her as such to be regnant with Charles? That's why she would be Queen Consort. Wife of the regnant rather than regnant raised in her own right. The Queen or Princess part aside. She wouldn't be regnant, that line of succession is pretty well locked up.

Keep in mind I'm from the U.S..... But I'm pretty sure Camilla wouldn't be Queen Regnant. Queen Consort or Dowager forms, or if that strange twist happened, a Regent- and I think she might be a King Regent rather than a Queen Regent... it is really a mixed up thing, lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rashore said:

Ah, and Camilla is not regnant, nor are there plans to raise her as such to be regnant with Charles? That's why she would be Queen Consort. Wife of the regnant rather than regnant raised in her own right. The Queen or Princess part aside. She wouldn't be regnant, that line of succession is pretty well locked up.

Keep in mind I'm from the U.S..... But I'm pretty sure Camilla wouldn't be Queen Regnant. Queen Consort or Dowager forms, or if that strange twist happened, a Regent- and I think she might be a King Regent rather than a Queen Regent... it is really a mixed up thing, lol.

Uh,.............. :D        Me too. I'm also from and living here in the states. :lol: I'm just a fan of royalty, past and present. Apparently, I'm even was a go to for one past co-worker when a customer asked about Henry the 8th's six wives. The co-worker, being told by the customer, that there were seven wives. I'm like, 'uh...........no.'

A good example of a Queen regnant, is the present British Queen, Elizabeth the second. Denmark's Queen Margrethe is another one. I don't think Camilla will be regent of anything, considering she's not related to the future king, and he's been of age to rule for some time now. A Dowager, well, that might be the case in the future.