Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Camilla will be Queen one day

Still Waters

As Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall mark their 12th wedding anniversary, a constitutional expert has told Sky News that Camilla will be Queen one day - even if the public doesn't like the idea.

There has been growing interest in what will happen at the time of succession when Prince Charles becomes King, including what title Camilla will be given.

But Lord Norton of Louth, a peer in the House of Lords and professor at the University of Hull, says the constitutional position is very clear.

http://news.sky.com/story/camilla-will-be-queen-one-day-constitutional-expert-says-10831244

• Like 3

12 years married! wow...time doesn't half fly.

• Like 5

It's obvious she'll be the Queen one day. She'll be the wife of the King. The rules aren't going to change.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 4

I think the monarchy is outdated.  Why have a queen or king?   Get rid of them.  It would save us a lot of money we could use elsewhere.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I think the monarchy is outdated.  Why have a queen or king?   Get rid of them.  It would save us a lot of money we could use elsewhere.

Wow, hang on a minute, you cant go around saying things like that. sacrilege. 

At £0.62p a year im happy to fund the continuation of the long held tradition.

Crown estates generated profits of £305million. of which the Royal family gets 15%.

considering the duty performed by members of the Royal Family its more than worth the money, Bargain. with the added bonus it winds-up people who hate the monarchy = Priceless.

Glorybee you've over stepped the mark and as such any British U'mers "you must consider every 'poster' your enemy who speaks ill of your Queen/king; and you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil." okay the first bit is optional.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

I don't think it's as simple as that, though possibly my perspective as a Brit is a little more biased than yours as part of a Commonwealth nation, even though I'm not particularly a royalist.

The royals generate a huge amount of money in tourism, both at home and abroad, and there can't be any argument about their charitable work. For example, Princess Diana and, more recently, Prince Harry with the attention they brought to the International Campaign to Ban Landmines. Or The Prince's Trust, and the enormous amount of good work they do with young people.

I'd also say they work far better as heads of state. It's hard to find the Queen offensive, whereas most of our politicians you wouldn't spit on if they were on fire with the contempt they show for they people they are supposed to represent.

Then of course there's the history. It's hard to stand in the middle of a location such as the Tower of London, that's stood for almost a thousand years, without feeling a connection with names such as William the Conqueror, Richard the Lionheart or Henry VIII.

Last time I was there, it was also good to see tourists from other Commonwealth nations, such as Australia, enjoying the history. It's as much a part of their past as it is ours.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Glorybee you've over stepped the mark and as such any British U'mers "you must consider every 'poster' your enemy who speaks ill of your Queen/king; and you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil." okay the first bit is optional.

I'm thinking maybe a few years in the Tower for attitude readjustment :yes:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I'm thinking maybe a few years in the Tower for attitude readjustment :yes:

I like what you did there, :lol:

• Like 6

But seriously, who are these more German than English people? Why bow and scrape to a bunch of tourist attractions? Aside from the Queen, I don't see any of them making any real contribution. I read somewhere that Camilla is even claiming an unemployment benefit. And their horses keep trying to run away. I know, I nearly got run over by one.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Claire. said:

But seriously, who are these more German than English people? Why bow and scrape to a bunch of tourist attractions? Aside from the Queen, I don't see any of them making any real contribution. I read somewhere that Camilla is even claiming an unemployment benefit. And their horses keep trying to run away. I know, I nearly got run over by one.

are you sure its wasn't Camilla out for her morning run?

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Hey... are you looking for a few nights in the Tower too? :lol:

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Claire. said:

Well, take Harry for example:

Profile: Prince Harry

I'd say he comes across better than any single politician I can think of, both in human terms and as a spokesman for Britain...

"During his 10 years in the Armed Forces, Captain Wales, as he became known, saw action in Afghanistan twice, most recently in 2012 to 2013 as an Apache helicopter co-pilot and gunner."

"And, like his mother before him, his work in Africa has also focused on humanitarian causes, via the charity he set up, Sentebale, to help children affected by HIV and Aids.

Last autumn, Harry continued his support of the charity Walking With the Wounded by joining five wounded service personnel for part of their 1,000-mile (1,600km) trek around Britain.

This follows a previous trek with the charity in which he walked 200 miles to the South Pole as patron of the South Pole Allied Challenge 2013.

Harry has publicly supported a number of other military charities too, including Help for Heroes and ABF the Soldiers' Charity.

In March 2014, he launched the Invictus Games for injured members of the armed forces and in May 2016 the second incarnation of the event was held in Orlando."

Plus, he's a human being...

"An early upset involved Harry smoking cannabis.

St James's Palace confirmed in January 2002 that the then 17-year-old had "experimented with the drug on several occasions" but said the use was not "regular"."

Ohh, and he has great taste in American women ;)

"The prince and the American actress - best know for starring in the legal drama Suits - have, Kensington Palace said, been dating for "a few months"."

If you think about some of the people that the world hold up as representatives of their countries, Harry gets a thumbs up from me :tu:

• Like 7

I don't mind the Queen but I do mind the guy who talks to trees and his shabby looking Mrs who wears some crap headgear,but even he is preferable to someone like Bliar or Cor-bin.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

If you think about some of the people that the world hold up as representatives of their countries, Harry gets a thumbs up from me :tu:

Still, he's not done more than millions of other people have. But I agree, he's better than most of the royals.

The pic you posted is not his American girlfriend. I don't know who she is, but this is Meghan Markle:

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Now that I think about it... :lol:

• Like 2

Well since the Queens' mother lived to 101 let's hope she still has 10 years left and outlives Camilla. 

Here is one person who can't stand this woman at all along with her husband. But also because I really liked Princess Diana. 

How about jumping one generation and give the crown to William? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Soccergirl13 said:

Well since the Queens' mother lived to 101 let's hope she still has 10 years left and outlives Camilla. 

Here is one person who can't stand this woman at all along with her husband. But also because I really liked Princess Diana. 

How about jumping one generation and give the crown to William? 

There was actually some talk about that.  Elizabeth should have abdicated and given the crown to Charles years ago, according to some articles I read when Diana passed.  There was speculation that Elizabeth does not think Charles would make a good King.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Claire. said:

The pic you posted is not his American girlfriend. I don't know who she is, but this is Meghan Markle:

Yeah, sorry, that was Cressida Bonas, an English actress - he sure seems to appreciate the thespians... :lol:

I won't post a pic in case the forums explode - I understand the reasons for the censorship, but man it is my pet hate on these forums.

The internet was never intended to have people living in fear of being sued over images :angry:

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 10:47 AM, Still Waters said:

As Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall mark their 12th wedding anniversary, a constitutional expert has told Sky News that Camilla will be Queen one day - even if the public doesn't like the idea.

Charles and her have to live that long. Sure they are well taken care of, but every one will be gone one day. And the parents don't always go first.

Charles is 65, Camilla is 69, they may not make it. And even if she made it, if Charles doesn't, she won't be queen, she's just a consort after all.

It's way too soon to say whether she will be queen one day or not.

Please excuse my American ignorance, but why is it that everyone hates Camilla?  I know she is no beauty queen, but I never could figure out why she has always been trashed by you all over there.

I remember hearing  when Chucky and Diana first were married about how Camilla was his first love but the Queen didn't like her. Or something like that, but what has she done to be so despised?

3 hours ago, Why not said:

Please excuse my American ignorance, but why is it that everyone hates Camilla?  I know she is no beauty queen, but I never could figure out why she has always been trashed by you all over there.

I remember hearing  when Chucky and Diana first were married about how Camilla was his first love but the Queen didn't like her. Or something like that, but what has she done to be so despised?

The short story is she lives and breathes in the shadow of Diana and is generally seen as a bit of a free loader, oh and Diana was hot, Camila not so much.

the longer story is that Charles' relationship with Camilla goes way back and raises questions over his commitment to Diana, and she is generally seen as the one who destroyed Diana's relationship not just with Charles, but with the Royal family as a whole.

• Like 2

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, Black Monk said:

It's obvious she'll be the Queen one day. She'll be the wife of the King. The rules aren't going to change.

And yet there's poor old Philip still being 'just' a prince.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:29 PM, Claire. said:

Sorry Clair but if you don't see the contribution they make, you haven't really looked. Leaving aside the tourism industry, there are several charities and causes that owe a great deal to members of the royal family.

I could also go into the importance of tradition and heritage in maintaining a stable identity in a population but that's too much like being at work!

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, Why not said:

It's usually the ones who are convinced, for some reason I can't fathom, that Diana was somehow perfect in every way and therefore Camilla must be a monster for marrying Charles.  I know a few people who met her in person and describe her as arrogant and conceited. She just put on a different face for the cameras and that's apparently good enough for most. Go figure.

• Like 4

On 13/04/2017 at 0:24 PM, Why not said:

I wouldn't say she is to be honest. I'm not big on royal gossip, and I try and steer clear of the tabloid press, but I wouldn't say she gets a hard time these days.

Historically, it's all to do with marrying into the "right" family and all that nonsense. Charles would arguably have married Camilla before Diana came onto the scene if it hadn't been for family politics. Diana was of course the darling of the media too, with her youth, looks and chartiable ventures.

These days I think people have a more realistic grasp of events; they were thrown into a union not of their making. Diana was a young and fairly naive woman when they married. Above all else, they were human beings with human flaws.

• Like 4

As much as I liked Diana, I don't see the point of directing so much hostility towards Camilla. It's not as if it will change anything and her and Charles seem to be happy together and work well as a team which I think is what matters now. I'm not a particular fan of Charles either but it doesn't stop me from wishing them both well.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LV-426 said:

I wouldn't say she is to be honest. I'm not big on royal gossip, and I try and steer clear of the tabloid press, but I wouldn't say she gets a hard time these days.

Historically, it's all to do with marrying into the "right" family and all that nonsense. Charles would arguably have married Camilla before Diana came onto the scene if it hadn't been for family politics. Diana was of course the darling of the media too, with her youth, looks and chartiable ventures.

These days I think people have a more realistic grasp of events; they were thrown into a union not of their making. Diana was a young and fairly naive woman when they married. Above all else, they were human beings with human flaws.

The way I kinda took it way back then was that Charles was in love with Camilla but the marriage  to Diana was like a family "setup" for the reasons you described. You almost knew it was going to end up with Charles and Camilla togather again. I never got into any of the tabloid stories and really could care less about the whole Royal Family thing, but it always sounded like an arranged marriage back then.

Plus, it always seemed to me that Diana was to much of a kind and caring person to be in the Royal Family. She was a Beautiful woman.

• Like 1