Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oceans Beyond Earth

Waspie_Dwarf

I know statisticly there should be life through out the universe, but I often wonder if we looked for hundreds of year and never found any other signs of life what we would make of it.

• Like 3

its truly a numbers game, we could indeed look for ten thousand years and never find a sign, or poof there it is right next door

• Like 1

ultimately there has to be life out there somewhere, the numbers dont lie, its just a matter of time

• Like 1

After doing a bit of digging on some of the more reputable sites I found a story which I now can't find again (which may mean that it was accidentally published before the embargo was lifted or that I am just rubbish at googling).

It seems that what NASA is going to announce tomorrow is that they had discovered that hydrothermal activity on Enceladus is converting carbon dioxide into methane.This implies that there are possible habitable zones in the ocean of Enceladus.

• Like 4

On 4/11/2017 at 7:52 AM, Why not said:

I know statisticly there should be life through out the universe, but I often wonder if we looked for hundreds of year and never found any other signs of life what we would make of it.

I would think that with technologies help,  we should continue looking ever so carefully.

13 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

After doing a bit of digging on some of the more reputable sites I found a story which I now can't find again (which may mean that it was accidentally published before the embargo was lifted or that I am just rubbish at googling).

It seems that what NASA is going to announce tomorrow is that they had discovered that hydrothermal activity on Enceladus is converting carbon dioxide into methane.This implies that there are possible habitable zones in the ocean of Enceladus.

It looks like you're on the money, this has just popped up in the last two hours: http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/200-billion-reasons-why-were-not-alone-and-one-is-coming-tonight/news-story/a474bbd89e9165e0ab4284057a3d0137
'NASA is due to announce within hours conditions for life exist on one of Saturn’s 62 moons. That, it turns out, is just the beginning.'

Edit: And another quick little quote from the article says; ' Extrapolating that out to the whole universe, this means that there are up to 40 billion trillion potentially habitable planets out there. '
I don't care what anyone says, 40 billion trillion is a good number to work with. 40,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 :lol:

Edited by Timonthy
Edit.
  • Like 1

Nasa announce one of Saturn's moons could support alien life in our solar system

There might be alien life in our own solar system, Nasa has announced.

All of the necessary things to support life have been found on another icy world inside our own neighbourhood.

Enceladus — one of the moons that orbits Saturn — has chemicals that when found on Earth tend to indicate life, suggesting that there might be living things might be under its icy shell.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasa-announcement-today-alien-life-exist-saturn-enceladus-cassini-hydrogen-plume-hydrothermal-a7681821.html

• Like 2

On April 11, 2017 at 7:08 PM, seanjo said:

It means little, the Universe is huge, our little corner of it may only contain us as an intelligent and space fairing species, but that doesn't mean the Universe isn't teaming with intelligent life.

I was thinking in regards of finding other worlds with everything needed right there for life as we know it, and not finding any. Just kinda a thought I have about how we would interpret it. I'll go with the statistics, but just a curiosity. 

Waspie_Dwarf i think i saw same link as you yesterday too, i think it may have been at ScienceDaily?

Some more details on the Cassini dive through the plume.  http://www.space.com/36455-saturn-moon-enceladus-energy-source-life.html?utm_source=sp-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170414-sdc

This plunge was special in several ways. For one thing, it was Cassini's deepest-ever dive through the plume; the probe got within a mere 30 miles (49 km) of Enceladus' surface. In addition, Cassini's Ion and Neutral Mass Spectrometer (INMS) instrument alternated between "open-source" and "closed-source" modes during the encounter, rather than sticking to closed source (the usual routine).

Great stuff folks and the science team is pulling out all the stops to make an incredibly successful mission even greater.  Imagine teh math and knowledge to get that probe so close to a 300 mile wide moon at such an incredible distance 

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

I would not be surprised at the finding of life around thermal vents all over the place.  This may even be where life on earth originated, or survived the ice-earth that happened a couple of times.  

I'm sure this will be great for the biochemists.  

• Like 1