Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man dragged from United Airlines plane

Still Waters

Footage has emerged of the moment a passenger was forcibly removed from an overbooked United Airline flight after he refused to voluntarily give up his seat. 

Flight 3411 from Chicago to Louisville was preparing for take-off at O'Hare International Airport when cabin crew informed the passengers that the flight was overbooked.

The crew asked four passengers to free up space for staff who needed to be at work the following day.

As no-one offered to give up their seat, the airline choose four passengers at random.

http://news.sky.com/story/man-dragged-from-united-airlines-plane-in-overbooked-flight-row-10832911

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I watched this video. It is absolutely disgusting how they treated that man.

Edit to add: Oh my goodness the former CEO's statement is awful

United passenger was 'immature,' former Continental CEO Gordon Bethune says

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/10/united-is-being-immature-former-continental-ceo-gordon-bethune-says.html

The shareholders are going to have him fired for that I'll wager.

Why didn't they just get their employees booked on some other airlines flight if it was such a damned emergency?

• Like 9

I'll remember this next flight I book. Being a Doctor, I'm sure he has lawyer friends who will ensure he is well compensated. They offered $800, and benefits that might end up costing tens of thousands, or more. Not a profitable way to run an airline. You board a plane legally, having payed for your airfare etc, then are drug off like a common criminal.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, South Alabam said:

I'll remember this next flight I book. Being a Doctor, I'm sure he has lawyer friends who will ensure he is well compensated. They offered $800, and benefits that might end up costing tens of thousands, or more. Not a profitable way to run an airline. You board a plane legally, having payed for your airfare etc, then are drug off like a common criminal.

The only way I'd fly United again would be to evacuate from a danger zone.  I'd gladly pay MORE to fly with another carrier.  My guess is they'll be seeing a drop in their numbers, at least for awhile.  I still don't understand why passengers who are made to sit on a hot runway for HOURS, don't have legal recourse.

• Like 8

I'm not surprised in the least. Just look at how the TSA treats people, they even abuse young children and the elderly. It's as if the traveling public literally has no civil rights at all.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

IMO they should not be able to oversell seats.  To me, that is fraud when someone pays for a seat and is not given what they paid for.  They already got the money for the seat, they are not out money.  They are just greedy.

That might become the focus of the lawsuit.  They may pay the guy big time to keep it from being adjudicated and setting a precedent against the airlines.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I'm not surprised in the least. Just look at how the TSA treats people, they even abuse young children and the elderly. It's as if the traveling public literally has no civil rights at all.

Yes.  We think we are free but just look at the restrictions placed upon us and the treatment we are expected to possibly put up with if we wish to travel.  This is just another clear signal that we live under an authoritarian regime.  How much longer should we put up with it?  Vote Libertarian people.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, and then said:

That might become the focus of the lawsuit.  They may pay the guy big time to keep it from being adjudicated and setting a precedent against the airlines.

Good.  Maybe something good will come out of this.

• Like 2

That is the most expensive seat United Airlines will ever fill.  Not so much a legal settlement for the guy, but the business they're going to lose over this.  I'm not flying United anymore.  Customer, lost.

United TV ad:  ""I'm mature enough to fly United!"

The TSA is a horror but why and when was the TSA created?   When we refuse to address what caused the desire for it in the first place, It's only going to get worse.   Rapiscan 2.0 coming soon.  Wasting immense amounts of money "keeping us safe" from terrorists (the TSA has never caught a single terrorist) and we've wound up only terrorizing ourselves.

• Like 9

There just doesn't seem to be ANY level of stupidity that is too low for people to achieve these days. I wonder sometimes if as the galaxy rotates if we periodically pass through parts of space that in some way inhibit our synaptic speeds and makes us dumber. History does at times seem to make it apear that we have "silly seasons" during which we do a lot of awfully stupid things. 

At one point a state actually passed a bill taxing fortification in marriage. At another time I've read that congress debated changing pi to an even 3. France built a wall that just ended and never imagined that the Germans would EVER consider just going around it. All to often these silly or stupid seasons ends up with wars when people just get to stupid to be free. I can see the stupidity levels rising faster all over the world. 

What do ya think. Are we getting dumber or what. You have to admit there are a lot of very dumb things going on right now. 

• Like 5

Do you know the movie idiocrazy? Very funny comedy back when it came out. Seems more like a documentary now...

• Like 3

Overbooking is an understandable if less than honorable business practice.  However, when the airline gets too greedy and has to start kicking people off airplanes, the law needs to step in and make the penalties horrific.  It is pretty obvious the incentives to get people to take a later flight were insufficient, but actually removing someone should be seriously against the law -- and a tort for when people are really inconvenienced (I would think it already is -- breach of contract and all that).  The airline is just simply going to have to bid up and up until they get enough takers -- either that or not overbook.

• Like 4

Just playing devils advocate here.

Is there video of this altercation before it escalated.   Did the guy get belligerent before they had to call in security?    Was he making a scene?   

I just ask because this seems so unnecessary that I think there must be more to the story.  

• Like 1

What are the rules on airline compensation? Here's everything you need to know

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/rules-airline-compensation-heres-everything-need-know-103850936.html

But now I've just found this -

United Airlines boss defiant over dragged passenger in leaked letter

http://news.sky.com/story/man-dragged-from-united-airlines-plane-in-overbooked-flight-row-10832911

• Like 1

Good thing there wasn't the classic "Is anybody here a doctor?!" scenario mid flight.

• Like 7