Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Microsoft bids farewell to Windows Vista

Still Waters

Microsoft is bidding farewell to Windows Vista, more than 10 years after it first debuted. Support for Windows Vista ends today, meaning users will have to move to a more recent version of Windows to remain secure. It’s the end of an era for an operating system that arrived late to the market with widespread criticisms.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/11/15241580/microsoft-windows-vista-end-of-support

• Like 3

Vista had its quirks but was not the worst OS Microsoft created.  I think Windows ME was the worst one.

But it was nice to play Solitaire without being forced to watch a commerical, like with WIndows 10 Solitaire Collection. 

• Like 2

Microsoft is bidding "farewell" to many of its platforms so it can focus on trying to force everyone to Windows 10.

I still use my "atavistic"  Windows XP, it works well enough for now and if I decide to get a new computer I will put some flavor of Linus or some other operating system on it.

• Like 3

On 4/12/2017 at 10:43 PM, Still Waters said:

Microsoft is bidding farewell to Windows Vista, more than 10 years after it first debuted. Support for Windows Vista ends today, meaning users will have to move to a more recent version of Windows to remain secure. It’s the end of an era for an operating system that arrived late to the market with widespread criticisms.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/11/15241580/microsoft-windows-vista-end-of-support

Don't worry l am pretty sure Windows 10, will have more widespread criticism?

:huh:

On 4/21/2017 at 0:32 PM, South Alabam said:

That's one OS I never used. Windows 7 pro is the most stable and best for me, I have ever used.

Yep, me too. I bought a laptop with w10, and after trying out system restore and undoing the restore, it went into an endless loop. And this was a 2 day old, brand new laptop.

Never had an OS, stuff up that fast.

So l have 7 Pro installed instead, and recently tried out system restore on that, purred like a proverbial.

The only real issue with 7 Pro is the system backup won't work. But creating a mirror using third party software is no issue.

From what l have seen Vista, is better than 10, at least visually. 10 has the ugly stick issue, and Vista, has some nice transparent affects.

W7 Pro, is visually beautiful.

B)

• Like 4

Windows Vista was a flop. It didn't generate much traction. XP was lighter, more stable. Windows 7 came out as an improved and overall better version. I don't know a lot of people who are mourning the end of Vista as a supported Microsoft OS. They either avoided it or moved on.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

I have an XP computer at work while everyone else at the office has Windows 10 and I'm always expected to solve problems on the Windows 10 machines. How the F am I supposed to know if I don't have it myself to try sorting out problems????

I think I had a brief fling with Vista. :P My laptop at home has Windows 7 and I love it. I want a new notebook size computer, but I'm afraid I  will be stuck with W10. Not happy, but I don't see a way around it since I don't know anything about building my own. At my age, I don't think I can learn.

I'm glad for this. Vista needs to die. I don't mind windows 10, though; it's far better than 8, and turning off all the ads is relatively simple.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would say that Microsoft needs to bring this ad back? ^_^

It would sure beat, children looking starry eyed into a future with a 1984, Ugly stick OS.

:whistle:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It might be worth keeping an old Windows laptop around to play old Windows PC games and other programs, but never go online to avoid viruses.