Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eating dogs banned in Taiwan—A first in Asia

Claire.

Eating Dogs Banned in Taiwan—A First in Asia

In a landmark step for animal welfare, Taiwan has outlawed the consumption of dog and cat meat—the first country in Asia to do so.

Anyone who buys or eats the meat can be fined up to $8,200. Back in 1998 Taiwan made it illegal to slaughter dogs and cats and sell their meat, but an underground commercial market persisted. And now Taiwan has now doubled down on punishment: Those who cause deliberate harm to a cat or dog can be fined up to $65,000, and serve two years of jail time—up from a maximum of one year previously.

Read more: National Geographic

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Breeding dogs for food is fine. I eat dog on occasion. I eat other animals as well, and I do not discriminate between them. 

• Like 3

It's about time.

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with eating dog, just as long as it isn't killed cruel. That is the only stipulation for any animal death for food, as long as the death of the animal is humain and as quick as possible there is no reason not to eat the meat. 

• Like 6

There are some regions where conventional farm animals are not a viable option ... everything from the fowl to the bovine ... just canines and some instances felines are the only viable source of food stock ~ if there viable options I'm sure many would choose fried chicken over boiled dog, though there are some herbal and medicinal recipes that do specifically calls for the canine in the mix, mostly prevalent in the bitter dry and cold regions ...

~

• Like 3

Alright, I'll throw this out there...so what exactly does dog, or cat taste like for those of you who have actually tried it? Like chicken?

1 hour ago, WoIverine said:

Alright, I'll throw this out there...so what exactly does dog, or cat taste like for those of you who have actually tried it? Like chicken?

I would guess more like rabbit or squirrel. 

As personal preference I just could never see eating a dog. For me Fido is a pet. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I would guess more like rabbit or squirrel. 

Dog is something in-between beef and pork. Cat is kinda like rabbit, indeed. 

Edited by FLOMBIE

Don't quite remember the taste but I practically owe my life to a pot of herbal concoction stewed in dog meat, too far from a hospital and half frozen to death from a bad 48hours stretch at sea, got the chills and fever, almost malaria like but not ... that pot of concoction put me back on my feet in three days or so ...

~

• Like 3

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:56 AM, Thanato said:

There is nothing wrong with eating dog, just as long as it isn't killed cruel. That is the only stipulation for any animal death for food, as long as the death of the animal is humain and as quick as possible there is no reason not to eat the meat. 

People are too picky (and sniffy) about which meats they eat.

We had a 'horse-meat scandal' a few years back, when horse was found in frozen lasagne, and it was withdrawn from sale.  Why?!?
I say..... slap a 'Contains Horse-Meat' label on it.

Saying that, though, I wouldn't eat dog or elephant, because (rightly or wrongly) I think of them as self-aware.

• Like 1

Sainsbury's, the supermarket chain, used to sell shark steaks.  The only reason I didn't buy any was the price!

• Like 1

I would never eat dog like I would never eat iguana or pigeon if I had a choice.  As long as they aren't tortured then how is eating a dog worse than eating a cow, chicken, turkey, fish, or anything else?

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Don't quite remember the taste but I practically owe my life to a pot of herbal concoction stewed in dog meat, too far from a hospital and half frozen to death from a bad 48hours stretch at sea, got the chills and fever, almost malaria like but not ... that pot of concoction put me back on my feet in three days or so ...

~

Dog is popular among martial arts fighter in Korea. It's supposed to give you lots of power!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, acute said:

People are too picky (and sniffy) about which meats they eat.

We had a 'horse-meat scandal' a few years back, when horse was found in frozen lasagne, and it was withdrawn from sale.  Why?!?
I say..... slap a 'Contains Horse-Meat' label on it.

Saying that, though, I wouldn't eat dog or elephant, because (rightly or wrongly) I think of them as self-aware.

That is different, though. If I buy something labeled as beef, I want it to be beef and not anything else. As for horse meat, it tastes good as well. Though it's more uncommon now, horse is a traditional food animal in Germany. Horse sausages, horse steaks and roast horse are the most common dishes you can find these days. I love the sausages. 

Dogs are not even close to being self aware. Pigs are more intelligent than dogs. 

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 1

No one for cannibalism then?

37 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

No one for cannibalism then?

I haven't had the chance so far. Are you free for dinner? ;)

• Like 2

Anyone else here eat shellfish?

• Like 1