Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Folklore shared across cultures.

Vurtman

14 hours ago, Yuggoth-Bug-Off said:

I've noticed a lot of taunting sort of creatures in folklore; ones who will lure in their victim. A good example is mermaids (Inuit to be specific.) but I do know of an old story (Mayan?) of a water demon who had the hand of a woman on it's tail. It would taunt men into the water in order to drag them back to their cave to be eaten. However I would guess a lot of these types of stories are just fables told to scare people away from a certain area.

Sounds very much like the Central American/Caribbean/both(?) malevolent water spirit Mama Lu or something. As I recall it's very similar to the West African Mami Wata, and you can see how such tradition would have been carried over from there. 

14 hours ago, Yuggoth-Bug-Off said:

The Qalupalik is what i'm referring to. I'm pretty confident it's Inuit, I may be wrong though.

Oh, those things. Yeah okay I know of them, I just would never have called them mermaids. But yeah, they're totally Inuit and lure children.

11 hours ago, oldrover said:

Sounds very much like the Central American/Caribbean/both(?) malevolent water spirit Mama Lu or something. As I recall it's very similar to the West African Mami Wata, and you can see how such tradition would have been carried over from there. 

I did a little bit of research and I found out what I was referring to was the Azhuitol. It's an Aztec legend but sadly I can't find much about it.

• Like 1

There's also the Japanese Kappa, a water spirit that lures people to their death

• Like 2

Also in NZ the Taniwha was known to lure children to their deaths. Not all Taniwha were bad though.

Another myth/legend that seems universal is the claim of ancestry directly from God's and demi gods

• Like 1

In Mexico as well as in Ireland there is the legend of the Llorona (The Crying woman). Mexico because she killed her children and Ireland because this crying woman is foretelling the death of someone. there are other countries too but don't remember which ones.