Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is North Korea really a problem?

imrunningthismonkeyfarm

1 hour ago, SNR said:

Exactly that. If ALL countries only used their weapons for defence then there wouldn't be any wars at all would there?

So how do you propose to make your utopia happen?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I was attempting to make a point by repeating myself.

Keep in mind the 9 nations that currently do have nuclear weapons do not have leaders with the mentality of Kim Jung Un. Nor have they threatened to use them to nuke the United States.

We have made this threat.  Donald Trump has made this threat himself.   Why do you give Donald Trump a hall pass?   Why is our narcissistic man child not worth some foreign power coming here sending armadas or God forbid killing millions for purposes of regime change?   Double standard?   Obviously it's not the behavior that matters, it's only when that behavior is directed towards us.

1 hour ago, SNR said:

Are we talking about N Korea still?

The Saudi's are barbaric and have a dreadful human rights record AND they have nuclear weapons.. What should America do about that then.. merc?

Its ok to behead women for adultery and sorcerers for what again? Magic. You do sound funny 

I have never seen anything that indicates a nuclear program in Saudi Arabia.  Most of their weapons are American and the US is thoroughly involved in that not happening so you need to start providing evidence for your claims or admit you are 100%  wrong and apologize.  

BTW, we are very close to Saudi Arabia and Israel allying against their mutual existential threat.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I have never seen anything that indicates a nuclear program in Saudi Arabia.  Most of their weapons are American and the US is thoroughly involved in that not happening so you need to start providing evidence for your claims or admit you are 100%  wrong and apologize.  

BTW, we are very close to Saudi Arabia and Israel allying against their mutual existential threat.  

The Saudis probably expect that they will be allowed to buy them once Iran gets their own, and they are probably right about that. 

A humiliating lead not many years ago revealed that the Gulf States are much more worried about Iran than they are about Israel, and for good reason. There have been several Persian Empires over the centuries that dominated Arabia by force of arms. Even in King David's day, Jerusalem's reach never extended more than a couple day's ride on horseback in any direction. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Merc14 said:

Totally off topic, but Saudi Arabia and Israel, two terrorist states we support with federal taxpayer dollars hand over fist thus can never win this ridiculous "war on terror", are close to an alliance!?   Finally you're waking up!   If we left them to deal with Saddam Hussein in 1991 they would have been a lot closer to an alliance 26 years ago than they are today.   Saud, Likud and Trump Inc.  Great team you got there.   "Mutual existential threat." though...what a load of rubble.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SNR said:

grrrr

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker

On 4/24/2017 at 7:35 PM, Merc14 said:

You know what,  I have spent my entire adult life listening to guys like you tell guys like me how our political philosophy will be the end of us all and I have been part of the end of the USSR, Hussein ejected from Kuwait and stopping the genocide in BH.  Every single time I was told that we would lose or suffer tremendous losses and therefore shouldn't challenge the thugs and every single time we won. 

i know you probably won't believe me, but I agree with you up to those Merc. Where it seems to have gone wrong is since the attention switched to "war on terror" (such a vague concept that it's virtually meaningless) and the concentration on the policy of "regime change". And while I'm sure you'd blame that lack of such a clear-cut success there on Obama, the two pioneering experiments in that policy - Afghanistan and Iraq - were both launched by Bush Jr, weren't they. It's neither Bush nor Obama that's to blame really, it's the lack of a clearly defined objective beyond overthrowing whichever the tyrant du jour may be, and the lack of any plan for what to do with the country after it's been "liberated". Does The Donald have any plan for N. Korea after its current tyrant has been overthrown, or will it just be left for China to sort out, much like Libya was? it's the policy of overthrowing leaders that the clique that controls American foreign policy doesn't like, and hoping that they'll somehow automatically become model out of sheer gratitude, that's failed time and time again.

4 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Yes, the plucky little Wahhabist Kingdom. The main reason why, when America is so closely aligned with such a fanatical, head chopping, totally and utterly undemocratic state, people tend to look askance at when American politicians and media work themselves up all emotional and indignant about that outrages that the current enemies are supposed to have perpetrated and of the US Government's claim that it wants to spread "democracy" and "freedom" around the world. Israel might be one matter, but are the ordinary people expected to get all emotional about the danger to the poor little Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the face of the looming menace from the fanatics in Tehran, with their so much more modern and more powerful armed forces?

14 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

and the lack of any plan for what to do with the country after it's been "liberated". Does The Donald have any plan for N. Korea after its current tyrant has been overthrown, or will it just be left for China to sort out

Frankly, I could care less what the Norks do in their country after they have lost the capacity to destroy millions of lives in MINE.  I suspect that China will take an active role in helping feed them for awhile to keep from having to gun them down as they try to cross the border.  The SK government will also happily work with them in such an effort.  Maybe it's time that countries who decide to threaten others realize that really bad outcomes are possible and that no one owes them anything when they cause the conflict.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, and then said:

Frankly, I could care less what the Norks do in their country after they have lost the capacity to destroy millions of lives in MINE.  I suspect that China will take an active role in helping feed them for awhile to keep from having to gun them down as they try to cross the border.  The SK government will also happily work with them in such an effort.  Maybe it's time that countries who decide to threaten others realize that really bad outcomes are possible and that no one owes them anything when they cause the conflict.

See, this is exactly the attitude that's led to disaster over and over again (not necessarily disaster for America, since even ISIS has only had a very negligible effect there, but this complete disregard for the consequences of the actions once the current "danger" to America has been disposed of). "it's ok, China and S. Korea will probably help them, why should I give a rat's ass, they're all mad and complicit in the evil of their leader, since if they weren't they'd have overthrown him years ago, wouldn't they. We did in 1776 after all." Well, like Ravenhawk, at least you're honest enough to say this and not try to dress it up in "humanitarian" concerns or whatever or that you deeply, deeply care about the oppressed people of ----------- and just want to bring them Freedom. 

That's the mistake they didn't make after WWII, and that's one of the crucial differences. They didn't take the attitude "Frankly, I could care less what the Germans or Japanese do in their country after they have lost the capacity to destroy millions of lives in MINE", they realized that they needed a plan to make all the effort and sacrifice worthwhile and make every effort to make sure that the circumstances wouldn't arise again. And Japan was seen in quite a similar way to how N. Korea is; a nation of fanatics with a cult of worshipping the Leader.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

See, this is exactly the attitude that's led to disaster over and over again (not necessarily disaster for America, since even ISIS has only had a very negligible effect there, but this complete disregard for the consequences of the actions once the current "danger" to America has been disposed of). "it's ok, China and S. Korea will probably help them, why should I give a rat's ass, they're all mad and complicit in the evil of their leader, since if they weren't they'd have overthrown him years ago, wouldn't they. We did in 1776 after all." Well, like Ravenhawk, at least you're honest enough to say this and not try to dress it up in "humanitarian" concerns or whatever or that you deeply, deeply care about the oppressed people of ----------- and just want to bring them Freedom. 

You really need to grow up.  The idea that when a nation threatens destruction on others and is verifiably on track to make that a reality, that they should either be endlessly ignored or if they have to be interdicted forcibly, they are then OWED compensation or even a total rebuilding of their infrastructure is a uniquely American invention, isn't it?  Put another way, if you walk up to me in a pub and take a poke at my head and I then beat your ass into a bloody pulp and deposit you outside in a gutter, I don't OWE you ANYTHING.  It probably would occur to most at that point that they'd made a poor choice and oughtn't DO that again, what?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, and then said:

I totally get where you are coming from...and just like you, I would like to see pudgy Kim gone for good, and I don't care how it's done.

But I would also like to see the people of NK eventually become a more vibrant and free nation. Because they could start thinking for themselves. I have read some horrific things of what the people there go through because of this regime. Families, and others are simply trapped there and live in constant fear of that crazy lunatic. It's time that he and this backward regime was ousted once and for all.

Oh just to add...seems Kim's young wife has gone missing. She hasn't been seen tagging along behind him for quite some time. Who knows - maybe the little madman has got her chained up in some dungeon somewhere. Or maybe he just got sick of her altogether...and bumped her off.

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Yamato said:

We have made this threat.  Donald Trump has made this threat himself. 

President Trump is not threatening to destroy N Korea via nuclear weapons. What Trump actually said is that he won't take nuclear weapons off the table. In other words, if Kim Jung Un decides to up and nuke others (S Korea, Japan, US) then the US won't sit back and do nothing. This is the primary component of détente...if you destroy others in such a manner you too will be destroyed. Sane people understand this concept, it remain to be seen if Kim Jung Un has a sufficient grasp on reality to understand this.

• Like 2

Just now, Lilly said:

President Trump is not threatening to destroy N Korea via nuclear weapons. What Trump actually said is that he won't take nuclear weapons off the table. In other words, if Kim Jung Un decides to up and nuke others (S Korea, Japan, US) then the US won't sit back and do nothing. This is the primary component of détente...if you destroy others in such a manner you too will be destroyed. Sane people understand this concept, it remain to be seen if Kim Jung Un has a sufficient grasp on reality to understand this.

:lol: OMG thats freaking hilarious.

You do realize thats what Kim has been saying as well right?  That kim not only has a grasp on that reality but thats literally exactly what he's been saying for the last month or so? 

Yet him saying it means we should go to war , while the trumpster saying means hes a good president? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

:lol: OMG thats freaking hilarious.

You do realize thats what Kim has been saying as well right?  That kim not only has a grasp on that reality but thats literally exactly what he's been saying for the last month or so? 

Yet him saying it means we should go to war , while the trumpster saying means hes a good president? 

North Korea is a horrific evil dictatorship that is in pursuit of intercontinental ballistic nuclear weapons. Kim Jung Un is an utter madman threatening his neighbors with utter destruction and you equate that situation with Trump pointing out the US has the ability of retribution?

No, it's not the same thing, not even close to being the same thing.

• Like 4

Just now, Lilly said:

North Korea is a horrific evil dictatorship that is in pursuit of intercontinental ballistic nuclear weapons. Kim Jung Un is an utter madman threatening his neighbors with utter destruction and you equate that situation with Trump pointing out the US has the ability of retribution?

No, it's not the same thing, not even close to being the same thing.

Im in no way saying NK is anything other than an evil dictatorship.

Just that they always have been and their recent rhetoric has been about their ability to defend themselves against a madman (which most folks do view trump as) makes the US's position here appear to be much more about trump trying to gain percentage points in approval polls than anything else. 

When CNN is supporting trump you know the fix is in. ;)

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

US to launch Minuteman III ICBM to show ‘nuclear capabilities’ amid N. Korea tensions

So basically trump has to prove his "hands" are bigger than kim's. Just epic facepalm 

• Like 2

Here's an analogy, there's a group of people and some nutty guy is holding a gun screaming he's going to kill this and that person if they don't give him money or do as he says. Suppose there's some other guy in the crowd who then points out that he, too, has a gun and won't hesitate to take out the guy if he starting shooting these people. So, the second guy is therefore as equally crazy and evil as the first guy? I don't think so.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

US to launch Minuteman III ICBM to show ‘nuclear capabilities’ amid N. Korea tensions

So basically trump has to prove his "hands" are bigger than kim's. Just epic facepalm 

Not exactly, Trump's trying to make Lil' Kim backoff by highlighting the concept of mutually assured destruction.

In my analogy it's like showing the nutty guy that you have a gun too...and a bigger gun no less.

• Like 3

Also, these tactics are far more likely to be coming from someone like 'Mad Dog Mattis' vs just being Trump's ideas.

• Like 2

Just now, Lilly said:

Here's an analogy, there's a group of people and some nutty guy is holding a gun screaming he's going to kill this and that person if they don't give him money or do as he says. Suppose there's some other guy in the crowd who then points out that he, too, has a gun and won't hesitate to take out the guy if he starting shooting these people. So, the second guy is therefore as equally crazy and evil as the first guy? I don't think so.

A better analogy would be that theres a mentally handicapped guy who has stood in the store parking lot for 10 years ranting and raving without ever actually doing anyone harm besides himself.

Then the new recruit cop fresh out of the academy decides he's gonna make a name for himself by getting rid of the annoying mentally handicapped guy whos been around for years. 

The problem with my analogy and yours is  its not the cop or the bystander with a gun whos gonna have to sacrifice their lives to clean up the mess its my children. 

Just now, Lilly said:

Not exactly, Trump's trying to make Lil' Kim backoff by highlighting the concept of mutually assured destruction.

In my analogy it's like showing the nutty guy that you have a gun too...and a bigger gun no less.

Its just so immature and unnecessary. We have to show that we have nukes? Really? 

Further its simply a progression of the neocon mission laid out over a decade ago. Drain the swamp my rear end. 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

A better analogy would be that theres a mentally handicapped guy who has stood in the store parking lot for 10 years ranting and raving without ever actually doing anyone harm besides himself.

Then the new recruit cop fresh out of the academy decides he's gonna make a name for himself by getting rid of the annoying mentally handicapped guy whos been around for years. 

The problem with my analogy and yours is  its not the cop or the bystander with a gun whos gonna have to sacrifice their lives to clean up the mess its my children. 

Its just so immature and unnecessary. We have to show that we have nukes? Really? 

Further its simply a progression of the neocon mission laid out over a decade ago. 

If you're going start bringing in that conspiracy theory crap again, you need to take it to the other forum.

• Like 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

If you're going start bringing in that conspiracy theory crap again, you need to take it to the other forum.

Seriously? They said they were going to take out a list of nations and that list of nations has been whittled down to two. Which nations have all of a sudden become this huge "threat" YEP those very two. 

What has happened since its become apparent that A. Trumps domestic agenda is a giant loser and B. the American people dont like him ? He's pivoted to the neocon agenda and look whats happened, his approval ratings have gone up, the corporate owned media has become friendly, hell even the democrats have been applauding him since his token attack on Syria. Why? Because he's following the agenda 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Seriously? They said they were going to take out a list of nations and that list of nations has been whittled down to two. Which nations have all of a sudden become this huge "threat" YEP those very two. 

What has happened since its become apparent that A. Trumps domestic agenda is a giant loser and B. the American people dont like him ? He's pivoted to the neocon agenda and look whats happened, his approval ratings have gone up, the corporate owned media has become friendly, hell even the democrats have been applauding him since his token attack on Syria. 

First you believe everything you read and then weave your fanciful  interpretations as though they were facts. You then adjust your fiction to fit whatever situation happens to arise. There's no substance to it at all. It's all in your head and you and those like you babble on, hysterically, sparring with ghosts and shadows. 

• Like 3

Just now, Farmer77 said:

strictly speaking, without the nuclear warhead, this just shows the ICBM capability - but I won't get into all that again :) 

aaaanyway - with or without a war head I'm sure the demo will engender multiple  wargasms** across the globe -

**   new word - - :innocent: - - 

• Like 3