Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Peter Kay's Car Share.

stevewinn

Just want to know peoples thoughts on Peter Kay's Car Share on BBC/iplayer. have you been watching it? liking it?

I think the series is brilliant, i watched series one (six episodes) last year and it had some genuine laugh out loud moments, I thought it couldnt get any better but the full series 2 (4 episodes) is available on the BBC's iplayer. i watched all four and think series two is even better, i absolutely love it, really buying into the characters.  - i just hope they do a Christmas special(s) or even a third series.

Storyline;

When a supermarket issues a new car share scheme. Assistant Manager John Redmond (Peter Kay) and Promotions Rep Kayleigh Kitson (Sian Gibson) are forced to commute together every day. But will they get along? We watch the pair fill awkward silences with laugh out loud comedy as they drive to and from work.

trailer for series 1

• Like 2

It is very popular, i.e. on a forum (that has TV programmes, the Car Share thread is full of enthusiastic viewers).

I saw the first series which was fairly interesting (but not that amusing to me).  I was interested primarily on whether their relationship would develop.  Having seen the first episode of the new series, I found it predominantly very banal.  Yes, the conversations are realistic, e.g. lots of misunderstandings but deadly dull to me....very bland!  I realise it depicts what constitutes real life to a lot of people, hence it's popularity.  I recall thinking at one point "why am I watching this?"   I was pretty disappointed but realise it was of the same quality as the past series (many say it is better). 

Peter Kay doesn't really do it for me.  In interviews he comes across as overbearing and arrogant and this has coloured my viewing.  I won't be watching it anymore.  I realise my opinion is not representative of most viewers so it's of no consequence.  Just curious if anyone else might feel the same...

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

Keep meaning to watch it but being an airhead, I keep missing it. I'm going to try and get it on catch up. I do like the idea, and I'm not put off that it's very similar in a way to 'Marion and Geoff'.

There's a lot to be said for Peter Kay, although the taxi conversation is the greatest universal truth I've ever seen in comedy (I spend a lot of time in taxis), his best line I think is 'Clare from work'.  

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 1

I love this show, both are brilliant charicatures of anyone, everyone, someone you know.  The conversations are brilliantly choreographed and ever so slightly exaggerated.

this is easy watching at its finest, with something for everyone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sees said:

It is very popular, i.e. on a forum (that has TV programmes, the Car Share thread is full of enthusiastic viewers).

I saw the first series which was fairly interesting (but not that amusing to me).  I was interested primarily on whether their relationship would develop.  Having seen the first episode of the new series, I found it predominantly very banal.  Yes, the conversations are realistic, e.g. lots of misunderstandings but deadly dull to me....very bland!  I realise it depicts what constitutes real life to a lot of people, hence it's popularity.  I recall thinking at one point "why am I watching this?"   I was pretty disappointed but realise it was of the same quality as the past series (many say it is better). 

Peter Kay doesn't really do it for me.  In interviews he comes across as overbearing and arrogant and this has coloured my viewing.  I won't be watching it anymore.  I realise my opinion is not representative of most viewers so it's of no consequence.  Just curious if anyone else might feel the same...

Do you have a link to that forum? thanks.

16 hours ago, oldrover said:

Keep meaning to watch it but being an airhead, I keep missing it. I'm going to try and get it on catch up. I do like the idea, and I'm not put off that it's very similar in a way to 'Marion and Geoff'.

There's a lot to be said for Peter Kay, although the taxi conversation is the greatest universal truth I've ever seen in comedy (I spend a lot of time in taxis), his best line I think is 'Clare from work'.  

Give it a watch when nothing else is on and you have a spare 30 minutes or so.

14 hours ago, Grey Area said:

I love this show, both are brilliant charicatures of anyone, everyone, someone you know.  The conversations are brilliantly choreographed and ever so slightly exaggerated.

this is easy watching at its finest, with something for everyone.

That's the words i was looking for, - its easy watching. :tu:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Do you have a link to that forum? thanks.

Give it a watch when nothing else is on and you have a spare 30 minutes or so.

That's the words i was looking for, - its easy watching. :tu:

Well...I don't mind easy watching but I require to be engaged in the characters somewhat....borderline on that!

I wasn't sure if we are allowed to plug other forums.  However, since it is not a rival, i.e. nothing to do with the topics on this forum I guess it is OK.

I will give you the direct link to that thread.  There is also another thread made on the same programme but with spoilers (for those who have seen future episodes on iplayer).

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2213802/peter-kays-car-share-tv-pace-no-spoilers#latest

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sees said:

Well...I don't mind easy watching but I require to be engaged in the characters somewhat....borderline on that!

I wasn't sure if we are allowed to plug other forums.  However, since it is not a rival, i.e. nothing to do with the topics on this forum I guess it is OK.

I will give you the direct link to that thread.  There is also another thread made on the same programme but with spoilers (for those who have seen future episodes on iplayer).

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2213802/peter-kays-car-share-tv-pace-no-spoilers#latest

cheers for that 'sees,

I understand where your coming from not everyone is going to like car share, Straight from the off i connected with the characters to the point im not even noticing peter kay - but his character John Redmond and that's very rare for me, - i think it might have to do with the character Kayleigh kitson played by sian Gibson i've never seen her in any other TV roles before so its much easier to accept the character and she's the star of the show for me. - apparently after reading a post on the forum link you kindly provided, Sian Gibson was working in a call centre when she was asked by peter kay to do role / show.

The show and its dialogue appeals to a level i like, The episode where they give a lift to a colleague (stinky Ray) off the fish counter waiting at the bus stop that whole sketch or segment is pure class.  The scene in the latest series (below) i loved.

Spoiler

The signs he passes like"The Shaun Ryder re-habit clinic","The Polish pound shop" the bloke is a genius I saw him live on his "My mum needs a new bungalow tour"

• Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 4:39 PM, Matt221 said:

The signs he passes like"The Shaun Ryder re-habit clinic","The Polish pound shop" the bloke is a genius I saw him live on his "My mum needs a new bungalow tour"

oh yes, you have to watch the series at least twice to pick up on them little gems, i liked one on a bill board which said Channel four " Miner Celebrities".  and underneath a tag line with "finally hit rock bottom" ...

You might like to watch,

Unseen footage and outtakes.

• Like 1

No more car share ever he's stopped while he was ahead,a bit like the Craig Cash Phil Mealy creation Early Doors I found that quite good if you haven't seen it give it a look