Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Remains of five 'lost' Archbishops found

Still Waters

The remains of five Archbishops of Canterbury have been found beneath a medieval parish church next to Lambeth Palace, the Archbishop of Canterbury's official London residence.

Builders renovating the Garden Museum, housed at the deconsecrated church of St Mary-at-Lambeth, found a hidden crypt containing 30 lead coffins.

Site manager Karl Patten said: "We discovered numerous coffins - and one of them had a gold crown on top of it".

The remains date back to the 1660s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39613462

• Like 3

I've misplaced at least two archbishops.  They're slippery little suckers.  :/

• Like 1

There are some very familiar names in that list. I was surprised to learn they were 'missing' to begin with.

On 17/04/2017 at 6:30 PM, Calibeliever said:

There are some very familiar names in that list. I was surprised to learn they were 'missing' to begin with.

Nobody knew where Richard III was buried until they found him under a Leicester car park in 2012.

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

Nobody knew where Richard III was buried until they found him under a Leicester car park in 2012.

True, but Richard III was deliberately dumped in an unmarked grave after the battle of Bosworth Field. These were Archbishops of Canterbury who, presumably, were buried with a bit more ceremony and record keeping.