Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this the Beast of Quantock Hills?

Black Monk

I was going to say that the thing was a bear, but then I saw the tail in the back and the way its front paws were bent. Are there any explanations as to why this is? Or are we looking at some sort of cat-bear?

• Like 1

Hmmmmmm  'catbear'   .......      if a koala can be a bear  then this is a catbear;

8259412-3x2-940x627.jpg

Cute little fellah isn't he ..... don't touch now  ! 

6429140e78c6018024cf732918474c49.jpg

• Like 3

Where giant cats lurk, giant rats hide. Be on guard folks, watch your step.

8 hours ago, Hi-NRG Eurobeat Man said:

I was going to say that the thing was a bear, but then I saw the tail in the back and the way its front paws were bent. Are there any explanations as to why this is? Or are we looking at some sort of cat-bear?

There are no bears in the UK except in zoos.

I keep thinking it's a dog and not a cat at all, in fact I think it's two dogs not one. The tail could belong to the 2nd dog and possibly the reason why the front paws look bent. Two dogs running alongside each other but one of them is slightly ahead of the other.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Still Waters said:

There are no bears in the UK except in zoos.

I keep thinking it's a dog and not a cat at all, in fact I think it's two dogs not one. The tail could belong to the 2nd dog and possibly the reason why the front paws look bent. Two dogs running alongside each other but one of them is slightly ahead of the other.

I saw a bear at first glance.  But the other day I was driving and my heart leapt. In the distance I saw a pterodactyl flying across across a paddock.  

It couldn't be... so I slowed right down, it wasn't.  It was a normal bird at an odd angle to my line of sight which meant one wing looked like a long neck and the other wing looked like a long tail.

If only... over active imaginings and will power help your mind see all sorts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hi-NRG Eurobeat Man said:

I don't know, but it looks like a bear to me. The "tail" looks like it could just be light reflecting off of the grass it's walking through,  and it seems to have a tuft of longer hair on the shoulders like a bear does. It doesn't seem as sleek as a big cat, but bulky like a bear. Also, I think bears move their front legs in a similar fashion to a big cat, just a bit more cumbersome. The snout looks too long for a cats nose, and more pointed like a bear. It just seems too big and cumbersome to be a cat of some sort. But since everyone says there are no bears there, then I'm stumped, unless one escaped from somewhere. I saw a lot of black bears in Alaska, and that's what it looks like to me. I just wish the picture was better, which always seems to be the case.

Edited by Future ghost
Adding

On 18/04/2017 at 0:38 AM, Captain Risky said:

How long is a piece of string? The thing is that the UK is highly urbanised and has a higher density of people than South America. 

There is a difference between being highly urbanised and overcrowded. Really, only London and the South East are hugely densely populated in the UK. The rest of the country is largely sparsely populated. 80% of Britons live in towns and cities, but only 7% of the UK's landmass is urban. This means that 80% of Britons live on just 7% of the land. 93% of the United Kingdom has just a fifth of Britons living on it. Far from being densely populated, the UK is overhwlmingly rural and sparsely populated.

• Like 2

Fears are growing that a killer big cat is on the loose in Britain after a butchered deer was found brutally stripped to the bone by a horrified dog-walker.

The mutilated body was found by the woman - appearing to confirm rumours that a deadly creature such as a puma or panther is stalking the St Albans area in Hertfordshire after a string of sightings over the years.

The 44-year-old found the deer stripped to its spine and missing a bottom half in Sheepcote Lane, Wheathampstead, a village about five miles north of St Albans.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4432748/Killer-big-cat-fears-brutally-butchered-deer-found.html#ixzz4eyCIjhMW

12 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

There is a difference between being highly urbanised and overcrowded. Really, only London and the South East are hugely densely populated in the UK. The rest of the country is largely sparsely populated. 80% of Britons live in towns and cities, but only 7% of the UK's landmass is urban. This means that 80% of Britons live on just 7% of the land. 93% of the United Kingdom has just a fifth of Britons living on it. Far from being densely populated, the UK is overhwlmingly rural and sparsely populated.

Okay. But compared to Australia and Canada the UK is more populated. Point is that its always going to be easier to see an invasive species such as a big cat in the UK than geographically larger country's. Just because people don't live there doesn't mean they don't interact there. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Okay. But compared to Australia and Canada the UK is more populated. Point is that its always going to be easier to see an invasive species such as a big cat in the UK than geographically larger country's. Just because people don't live there doesn't mean they don't interact there. 

You can go for months, maybe even years, without seeing a fox in the UK despite the fact that, thanks to the unnecessary ban on foxhunting, there are now 150,000 of those pests in urban areas alone.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Black Monk said:

You can go for months, maybe even years, without seeing a fox in the UK

Seriously can you? I see them all the time. 

On 4/17/2017 at 6:23 AM, Black Monk said:

How many big cat attacks are there each year in, say South America, with its big black cats?

Excellent point we have Cougar and Jaguar where i live yet not a single attack in the 8 years or so ive been there. 

19 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Seriously can you? I see them all the time. 

I'm out in the sticks and hardly ever see foxes,in fact we see badgers more often one killed all my bantams 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

I'm out in the sticks and hardly ever see foxes,in fact we see badgers more often one killed all my bantams 

Now, in all my years of looking I've seen one live badger. I live in a semi rural location and foxes are all over the place. Funny isn't it.

This amount of foxes is a fairly new phenomena, probably last 25 years or so. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

Now, in all my years of looking I've seen one live badger. I live in a semi rural location and foxes are all over the place. Funny isn't it.

This amount of foxes is a fairly new phenomena, probably last 25 years or so. 

It is odd. A friend who lives in a heavily populated area of the local city, where I used to live, often see's a large fox rooting through his bin on a night. Yet where I live, 10-15  miles away with lots of open fields around and I've not seen a single one in the four years I've been here. Nor any other wild creatures come to think of it. Except a rat once. But they're everywhere anyway and we live near a river. Lots of cats around though (not 'big' ones)

• Like 1

My question for the 2 dogs theorists is, how is 2 dogs? I can't see it. Can someone make a quick-edit in photoshop or something because I can't really see that. That would be in my opinion the most plausible explanation but can't see it in that picture.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stiff said:

It is odd. A friend who lives in a heavily populated area of the local city, where I used to live, often see's a large fox rooting through his bin on a night. Yet where I live, 10-15  miles away with lots of open fields around and I've not seen a single one in the four years I've been here. Nor any other wild creatures come to think of it. Except a rat once. But they're everywhere anyway and we live near a river. Lots of cats around though (not 'big' ones)

I'm really surprised they're not as common everywhere as they are here. I assumed they must be. Especially as you say you live in a place with lots of fields etc, like here. 

11 hours ago, back to earth said:

Ah ... fox going urban  now ?  .... like the  Ibis  here  ...they are replacing seagulls ; by the sea shore, on rubbish dumps, in parks. 

You've got quite a fox population too. I'd like to see the ibis though. Round here we've got egrets, they've made the estuary their home, they're really lovely. 

2 hours ago, MrBene said:

My question for the 2 dogs theorists is, how is 2 dogs? I can't see it. Can someone make a quick-edit in photoshop or something because I can't really see that. That would be in my opinion the most plausible explanation but can't see it in that picture.

Neither can I. 

On 4/16/2017 at 4:44 PM, Captain Risky said:

All these big cat sightings and no one attacked? Hmmm...

Depends. Big cat's just don't attack for the sake of. They kill for food and otherwise would steer clear from humans less you were near a den or something like that perhaps. If the cat is nocturnal which most are nocturnal hunters, then encountering humans becomes even less likely. Crepuscular cats are most active at dusk and dawn but I think it depends on how readily food is available. They steer clear of loud noises and humans tend to be very noisy creatures.

Remember cats are like ninja's. You can have a tabby cat in your house and not see it half the time. In my area around Indiana, we had a lot of reports of a wild bobcat, only seen a select few times then nothing ever since. I suspect it has died in the wild since the last sighting. I also happen to know the guy who released a young alligator years ago that grew to be huge and was found in our local river just a couple years back. He got rid of it cause it was getting too big for him to handle.

Edited by NightScreams
  • Like 1

I know mountain lions tend to avoid humans. Wouldn't surprise me if this cat (if that's what it is) were similarly shy.