Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tell me it ain't so

Frank Merton

4 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

At this point I'd say the interests of the U.S. and Turkey seem to align quite well. Except for the Kurds which their views differ, they both want to remove the Syrian regime, pretend to fight ISIS, and eventually install their own puppet regime in it's place.

Which is completely differenet of what Russia and Syria want, right? Russia and Syria both want to keep fighting the syrian civilians, pretend to fight ISIS and eventually keep the puppet regime in it's place.

I do not mean any disrespect TS but either way the innocent civilians are the effed side while WE root for our team, no matter the cost of lives. And then when those children hit us back we will have someone else to blame for our fups.

13 minutes ago, odas said:

Which is completely differenet of what Russia and Syria want, right? Russia and Syria both want to keep fighting the syrian civilians, pretend to fight ISIS and eventually keep the puppet regime in it's place.

I do not mean any disrespect TS but either way the innocent civilians are the effed side while WE root for our team, no matter the cost of lives. And then when those children hit us back we will have someone else to blame for our fups.

IMO, if the U.S. had legitimate national interests in Syria, we should have had them explained to us by the former president.  I don't recall him even attempting to do so.  The US has made it a policy to restrain Russian involvement in the M.E. since the early 70's and once Obama basically invited Putin in to deal with the issues there, there was no going back.  The US should not have troops in Syria except to attack groups that might be found to be planning attacks INSIDE the US.  Oby gave Russia the lead there, and now Putin has entrenched enough power there to require a chance of total war to remove him if he gets adventurous.  So he will remain there and hold sway over Syria and to a lesser extent, Iran.  No major decisions will be made in the direction of the ongoing conflict without his direct input.  I have no problem with that at this point.  Syria is his long-time ally and it would be similar to the US moving in to help Israel in '73.  OR, the US moving in to help Israel next month or next year if they are threatened by the powers building in that region.  I hope what remains of the Syrian people can be allowed to live in peace, on their own land, SOON.  If Russia and Iran can achieve that for them then so be it.  The problem is that in this region, with all its long hatreds, peace is not a long-lived commodity.  Iran wants to build a Shia crescent right up to Israel's border in the Golan and in southern Lebanon.  Russia, OTOH, will only do what is expedient for their national interests and I think that the major gas/oil discovery in the eastern Mediterranean may cause them to apply pressure in the Golan to force some accommodation by Israel in dividing this "spoil".  I don't think those children you speak of in Syria will have any lack of targets but I suspect they will mostly come after the US, even though it has been Russian aircraft, bombs, and pilots that have been making them orphans and cripples for life.   No matter who they decide to kill, the blood won't stop running in Syria, Egypt, Jordan - or Israel - anytime soon, I'm afraid.  I still think that the conflict there is going to expand to the entire region and that only when a conflagration burns it out, will quiet settle there for awhile.  

Just now, and then said:

IMO, if the U.S. had legitimate national interests in Syria, we should have had them explained to us by the former president.  I don't recall him even attempting to do so.  The US has made it a policy to restrain Russian involvement in the M.E. since the early 70's and once Obama basically invited Putin in to deal with the issues there, there was no going back.  

The US should not have troops in Syria except to attack groups that might be found to be planning attacks INSIDE the US.  Oby gave Russia the lead there, and now Putin has entrenched enough power there to require a chance of total war to remove him if he gets adventurous.  So he will remain there and hold sway over Syria and to a lesser extent, Iran.  No major decisions will be made in the direction of the ongoing conflict without his direct input.  I have no problem with that at this point.  Syria is his long-time ally and it would be similar to the US moving in to help Israel in '73.  OR, the US moving in to help Israel next month or next year if they are threatened by the powers building in that region.

I hope what remains of the Syrian people can be allowed to live in peace, on their own land, SOON.  If Russia and Iran can achieve that for them then so be it.  The problem is that in this region, with all its long hatreds, peace is not a long-lived commodity.  Iran wants to build a Shia crescent right up to Israel's border in the Golan and in southern Lebanon.  Russia, OTOH, will only do what is expedient for their national interests and I think that the major gas/oil discovery in the eastern Mediterranean may cause them to apply pressure in the Golan to force some accommodation by Israel in dividing this "spoil".

I don't think those children you speak of in Syria will have any lack of targets but I suspect they will mostly come after the US, even though it has been Russian aircraft, bombs, and pilots that have been making them orphans and cripples for life.   No matter who they decide to kill, the blood won't stop running in Syria, Egypt, Jordan - or Israel - anytime soon, I'm afraid.  I still think that the conflict there is going to expand to the entire region and that only when a conflagration burns it out, will quiet settle there for awhile.  

Paragraphs bro, paragraphs 

Just now, and then said:

those children you speak of in Syria will have any lack of targets but I suspect they will mostly come after the US, even though it has been Russian aircraft, bombs, and pilots that have been making them orphans

Dude that just sounds like straight up denial on your part. 

US-led coalition killed more Syrian civilians than Isis or Russia in March, figures show

US airstrikes are killing a lot more civilians. And no one is sure why. 

8 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I'll try to be more aware of the "wall of text".  

You pick a single month and compare it to what Russia and Assad have been doing for a couple of years?  I stand by my statement.  Russia indiscriminately bombs towns and kills without worldwide uproar.  We do something similar because there really isn't any other way to get at ISIS fighters and WE are the bad guys?  Our other choice would be lots and lots of US boots going door to door.  You'd be okay with that?  Of course not.  So what is your plan?  If ISIS is allowed to continue consolidating forces and territory, eventually Russia WILL go after them and I can assure you that far more civilians will be slaughtered then.  S.A. will continue to breathe life into ISIS until Assad falls or ISIS is totally wiped out in Syria.  Frankly, I'm all for letting Putin decide what happens to ISIS.  The only exception would be when we have intel that they are actively planning a specific strike inside the US.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, and then said:

I'll try to be more aware of the "wall of text".  

You pick a single month and compare it to what Russia and Assad have been doing for a couple of years?  I stand by my statement.  Russia indiscriminately bombs towns and kills without worldwide uproar.  We do something similar because there really isn't any other way to get at ISIS fighters and WE are the bad guys?  Our other choice would be lots and lots of US boots going door to door.  You'd be okay with that?  Of course not.  So what is your plan?  If ISIS is allowed to continue consolidating forces and territory, eventually Russia WILL go after them and I can assure you that far more civilians will be slaughtered then.  S.A. will continue to breathe life into ISIS until Assad falls or ISIS is totally wiped out in Syria.  Frankly, I'm all for letting Putin decide what happens to ISIS.  The only exception would be when we have intel that they are actively planning a specific strike inside the US.

My plan would be that we stop arming ISIS , stop arming people who could arm ISIS (LIKE SAUDI ARABIA)  and we stop supporting those who are destabilizing Assad and we let him deal with his own nation. 

Do you really not see the inconsistency in your positions here? ISIS is bad but we're cool working with Saudi Arabia who supports them and we're fighting against Assad who doesn't. 

11 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

My plan would be that we stop arming ISIS , stop arming people who could arm ISIS (LIKE SAUDI ARABIA)  and we stop supporting those who are destabilizing Assad and we let him deal with his own nation. 

Do you really not see the inconsistency in your positions here? ISIS is bad but we're cool working with Saudi Arabia who supports them and we're fighting against Assad who doesn't. 

Agree almost. Assad is "fighting"ISIS only because he has no other choice right now plus it covers up all he does to innocent people in his country.

But yes, all other you say I agree.

• Like 1

ISIS was armed by the cowardice of the Sunni Iraqi army when they fled like children and threw down their arms.  If that is what you call America "arming ISIS" then there isn't much more to discuss.  

Odas, Assad is of a branch of Shia Islam, yes?  Since ISIS is hardcore militant Sunni, why wouldn't he be interested in fighting them?  When all is said and done in Syria, those people are dying because of a proxy war between  Iran and S.A.  Until a deal is brokered or one side is defeated utterly, the killing will continue.  Remember the term, Realpolitik?  No nation on the planet today can just push S.A. to the curb and not suffer consequences.  If not immediate pain for the country in question, then a shared pain when allies are possibly choked for an economic lifeline only S.A. can insure.  Stop pretending the Saudis don't have real power in the world.  it's dishonest, farmer 77.