Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theresa May calls General Election for June 8

Still Waters

Summary

Theresa May calls general election for 8 June.

PM says new poll is in the national interest.

Election is only way to guarantee certainty and stability in the wake of Brexit, May says.

May says she came "reluctantly" to the conclusion that a poll was necessary

Downing Street has always denied a vote would be held before the next scheduled poll in 2020

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39628713

• Like 4

This could backfire but obviously the Government feels the need to get a larger majority in parliament and with Labour in total disarray and way behind in the polls,this could be the ideal time. - plus it gives the people of Scotland a chance to give the SNP a good kicking and kill off any independence call. 

I think this also highlights Brexit is going to be hard brexit as people call it. - its likely to result in more Brexit MP's being elected, and then if at the end of the two year negotiations with the EU the UK Parliament has to vote on 'the deal' then with that new larger majority the Government should pass the bill with ease.

Its a gamble but worth it. alot of people who voted Brexit but dont vote Tory might just have to hold their nose as they put an X in the Tory box. 

Its politics 101 by Theresa May.

• Like 7

Well the silly woman hasn't left everyone much time for that has she. They've got send out all those little cards to everyone before then. Have some consideration for the minions at the Councils who'll have to sort all those out. Anyway, what's she hoping to do? Take advantage of the current wave of popularity she's currently riding? Hoping that she'll distract attention from something stupid that her pal Donald's planning? Still, if only ever election campaign was this short. What a wonderful world it would be, 

• Like 1

Is there a chance that the result of the June 8th election could mean the cancellation of Brexit? :o

Just an election...thank Gawd for that....When a newsflash was announced on the box I thought Fatboy in N. Korea had done something daft.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Is there a chance that the result of the June 8th election could mean the cancellation of Brexit? :o

Well, it'll be a choice between strong and stabel leadership, with me as your prime Minister, or weak and unstable coalition government. That I do know, because she just said it.

• Like 1

Anyway, the one I feel sorry for is poor old Vlad Putin. It hasn't given him much time to get his Meddling organised has it. So who would he be rigging it in favour of? Well, he's pro-brexit, as we know, since, as, oh what was his name, the feller who used to - Dave Cameron, that's it - as Dave Cameron explained, he's just waiting for the moment of Brexit to unleash his panzer divisions across eastern Europe. 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 3

Poot'n, that is, not Cameron. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

If the SNP get a majority in Westminster, yes :D   

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Poot'n, that is, not Cameron. 

Are you entirely sure ;)   I wouldn't be surprised if Bliar and Cameron the Craven are not even now breeding hordes of orcs and uruk hai in their dungeons beneath whatever dark European mansion they are currently hiding in, ready to unleash them on Middle England and claim back what should rightly have been theirs, had only the hobbits had done as they were told .....

• Like 5

More -

Jeremy Corbyn refuses to say he will step down if Labour loses snap election as MP quits the party in protest at his leadership

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/jeremy-corbyn-refuses-step-down-120810561.html

Just now, Still Waters said:

Jeremy Corbyn refuses to say he will step down if Labour loses snap election  

so he will of course on June 9th. 

• Like 1

I believe that the Prime Minister has done the right thing. Too many obdurate "remoaners" of all shades trying to deny the will of the people as expressed in the EU Referendum. I hope she has gauged this right though.

Once again Wee Jimmy is claiming it is all a ploy to increase the tory majority at Westminster - Wee Jimmy, that is the ONLY reason to call an early election by any party.

As Steve has said, lets hope now that the Scots people will embrace the change and positive dynamics of a clean break with the EU and vote on their principles for the good of the whole United Kingdom 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

the Lib dems are supposed to be against it though, aren't they, so they might be able to get lots more seats because of that in places like London. Is there any way they might be able to encroach enough on Teresa may's majority to force her to accept a collation or something? 

I'm confused. Maybe someone can explain your crazy ways to this American lol

Someone an just schedule a general election whenever they want?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Theresa May wasn't voted in by the public, she was chosen by her party to take over when Cameron resigned mid term.

5 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Theresa May wasn't voted in by the public, she was chosen by her party to take over when Cameron resigned mid term.

With the general election is it not a set time each year?

Because the article leads me to belive she picked the date

39 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

With the general election is it not a set time each year?

Because the article leads me to belive she picked the date

It usually seems to be June, I believe. 

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

There was one in, was it 2015, I think it was, and according to the polite fiction it's the party that people vote for not the Prime Minister, so (according to this polite fiction) the party can change its leader however often it wants, and they don't have to bother about another election each time. Back in the 70s they had elections like every year, sometimes two or three a year, until presumably, the people got it right.

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

The election has to be approved by parliament by two thirds.

The only other way she could call a snap general election is by essentially declaring a vote of "no confidence" in her own government.

Under these circumstances, there's no statute on date as far as I know.

Under normal circumstances, since 2011 general elections are scheduled to be held on the first Thursday in May, every five years.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Summary

Theresa May calls general election for 8 June.

PM says new poll is in the national interest.

Election is only way to guarantee certainty and stability in the wake of Brexit, May says.

May says she came "reluctantly" to the conclusion that a poll was necessary

Downing Street has always denied a vote would be held before the next scheduled poll in 2020

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39628713

Its been well timed and she will win a landslide majority.

Labour are in disarray and UKIP seem to have disappeared. I suspect that the PM has just out smarted the SNP too preventing another Scottish Independence referendum. The reason being is Labour will make a play for their seats and the Scots will love Corbyn even if most of England dont.

Edited by RabidMongoose

With the significant number of individuals motivated to vote in the EU referendum this could be interesting given I presume many are still on the electoral role. Presumably this is why May et al has made this about brexit rather than government in the media. Dangerous game.

Whilst useful tools polls aren't always as accurate as they like to suggest. This is pretty dangerous politics 2 months into the serving of article 50 esp. It does make me think attention should probably really be going elsewhere. Also it does mean that if May decides to shaft the UK in negotiations (in favour or against britnat tendencies) the tories are in for the next 5 years.

Edited by Chortle
Cant spell for petnus

She's done the right thing but forced into it with the EU knowing Labour and the SNP will vote against any deal she's done getting a good deal would have been impossible if all conservative voters who voted to remain (because they now know about the lies we were told) vote Tory and all the Labour (who vote leave) who know the only way to get their wish is to vote conservative do so 'the Labour party' could disappear off the political map and deservedly so for going against the will of the people.

• Like 2

Do you think there's any chance of a hung parliament?