Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An entire River in Canada vanishes in 4 days

Still Waters

For the first time in modern history, scientists have observed an entire river disappear in the space of days.

The phenomenon – called river piracy – is where one river's flow is captured by another. Historical evidence suggests it usually takes thousands of years for the process to occur, but in this case the Slims River fed by Canada's Kaskawulsh Glacier was co-opted in only four days – a timeframe researchers describe as"geologically instantaneous and… likely to be permanent".

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-say-an-entire-river-in-canada-vanished-in-the-space-of-just-4-days

• Like 6

It wasn't co-opted by "River Nestle", I hope. Very interesting phenomenon

• Like 4

Yeah the local and national news networks are having a field day with this story. It's deeply troubling.

• Like 3

O'm more concerned about how the well known phenomemon of river capture (lots of great examples in the Scottish Highlands btw) has suddenly been dumbed down and renamed "river piracy".  Does this mean scary flags and the waving of cutlasses are now involved? 

dynamite and fix the flow it it really matters.

Seriously, people, the article isn't even one freaking page long.

If you are going to comment on it, at least read the one page and give it a minute of thought before doing so.  This is the Science forum, for crying out loud.

I saw this yesterday.  Quite odd.  You'd think something would have investigated this prior to August 2016 if it had been going on for 4 years.

I didn't read the article but I'm gonna say "aliens"