Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Super Earth 'best chance for finding life'

UM-Bot

Considering how "close" this planet is, if there was a advanced civilization, they would have sent signals back to usu nless they think the signals we send out are static.  Can we call it Krypton or Daxam?

38 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

Considering how "close" this planet is, if there was a advanced civilization, they would have sent signals back to us unless they think the signals we send out are static. 

Well, hypothetically speaking of course. If they are far more advanced than us, and have already observed us from afar. Then maybe they'd rather avoid our species all together. Lets face it, from their point of view, I doubt we come over as a very friendly bunch.

Or maybe, they aren't as advanced as we are...therefore don't have the same technology as we do to send out / receive signals yet.

I guess it's also possible, that the planet might also be teaming with different types of teeny organisms.

Either way, there are many exciting times ahead for space exploration with the new discoveries that await us.

It's likely covered in forests of amphibious seaweed. Good luck communicating with that ;)

• Like 1

Can't put it better or more pithily than taniwha did.    

2 hours ago, taniwha said:

It's likely covered in forests of amphibious seaweed. Good luck communicating with that ;)

Seaweed might even be too advanced.  

@Astra - That did cross my mind about another civilization not want to bothered by us humans.  That's my typical response to this type of srticle.  I was just trying to be a bit more positive than usual.

• Like 1

It's always this talk about finding alien life. We should be more concerned with finding places to escape to, when **** hits the fan and this rock becomes inhabitable.

If there is any alien life forms out there, chances are we'd better steer clear of them anyway. The notion that "highly advanced equals benevolent" is questionable. If we met some other species, it would probably boil down to "us or them".

Edited by Uber Doubter

5 hours ago, Codenwarra said:

Can't put it better or more pithily than taniwha did.    

Seaweed might even be too advanced.  

There's some pretty dumb seaweed out there is true.  

20 minutes ago, Uber Doubter said:

It's always this talk about finding alien life. We should be more concerned with finding places to escape to, when **** hits the fan and this rock becomes inhabitable.

If there is any alien life forms out there, chances are we'd better steer clear of them anyway. The notion that "highly advanced equals benevolent" is questionable. If we met some other species, it would probably boil down to "us or them". 

.......  Taniwha said :

This discovery should have the unbelievers reeling in their sleep.

Their maths don't add up but the equation goes like this..

Red dwarf = uninhabitable / lifeless planet.

Edited by taniwha

This star, LHS 1140, is over 400 million years older than the Sun. That's quite a lot of time for life more advanced than ourselves to develop.

Being so nearby, an advanced species living on a planet of that star would probably have long known of our existence. If they wished us harm, why has Earth remained intact and unconquered?  

I must be different, as I don't even remotely assume that our human manner of existence is somehow the standard of quality or advancement of existences.

Not even on our own biosphere would I place us in the top 10,000 species for advanced and quality existence. 

But then, I don't believe everything I think, so...

wait, what were we talking about?...