Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mysterious Valley: A Weird Western

Carnoferox

A wrote this awhile back, and have considered restarting from scratch. Feedback would be highly appreciated.

The Mysterious Valley:

A Weird Western

Prologue:

Ten thousand years ago, a tear in the fabric of space and time opened in a remote valley in the desert mountains of the American Southwest. This event created a passageway across time between the valley and the Mesozoic Era. The flora and fauna of millions of years past came through the passage and populated the valley. The valley remained isolated from the outside world, unseen by all. For centuries, neighboring Native American tribes passed down the myths of this cursed valley and its prehistoric inhabitants. In 1598, Spanish conquistador Fernando Arristé heard the stories and lead an expedition to the valley. He and his men encountered the primeval denizens of the valley, including dinosaurs. Arristé called the place “El Valle de los Lagartos”, the Valley of the Lizards. The Spanish dismissed Arristé’s tale as the delusion of a madman, and the Valley of the Lizards passed into legend.

As the years went by, more claimed to have visited the mysterious valley, but their accounts were mostly forgotten. It would not be until 1853 when explorer Hermann Easting revisited the old stories of the Valley of the Lizards. Easting launched an expedition and successfully located the valley. He was astounded by the sight dinosaurs alive and well, and reported his findings to academia across the country. When news of Easting’s discoveries reached the public, there was a migration of scientists and curiosity-seekers alike to the valley to witness its prehistoric wonders first-hand. This assorted group of settlers founded the town of Fossil Ridge near the newly-dubbed “Mysterious Valley”. The residents of Fossil Ridge learned to peacefully coexist with the creatures of the Mysterious Valley; humans and dinosaurs lived and worked side-by-side. However, national attention soon shifted to the deepening divide between the North and South, leaving the townspeople to their own devices.

In the years following the American Civil War, interest in the Mysterious Valley rose again. Railroad magnates, mining companies, banking guilds, and even notorious outlaws all focused on exploiting the valley’s vast natural resources. They fought for control of the valley, causing tensions to rise. Things reached a breaking point when the sheriff of Fossil Ridge was killed over a dispute with a railroad official. The mayor decided to bring in a reputable but mysterious lawman by the name of Vandiveer Siringo. Would he be able to bring order and justice to the Mysterious Valley? That is where the story begins...

Chapter 1: The Stranger Arrives

Vandiveer Siringo sat alone in his seat at the back of the train car, pondering his journey. His long, unkempt blonde hair and unshaven face were shadowed by a wide-brimmed hat. The rugged lawman removed his silver Colt Model 1860 revolver from its holster under his long overcoat, examining it as he contemplated his current situation. He had recently received a strange telegram from the mayor of a small desert town called Fossil Ridge. The telegram said only that his presence was requested and nothing more. Vandiveer was hesitant about travelling on such vague conditions, but he was looking for a job opportunity after his last stint as a gunslinger in Canon City had gone south. His now missing left eye was still bandaged as a result of this unfortunate incident. He felt it tenderly, reminded of the brawl gone wrong. His thoughts were interrupted when the train ground to a halt - he had arrived. He holstered his gun and and moved to the front of the train car.

“Hell’s teeth!”

Vandiveer uttered his customary curse at the first sight of Fossil Ridge. As he disembarked from the train, he gazed in amazement at the curiosities that lay before him. The station platform was crowded with with an assortment of people, per the usual. However, there was something markedly different about this particular station - it was also crowded with dinosaurs. These creatures of millions of years past were alive and well in the present! Dinosaurs of all shapes, sizes, and colors, bearing teeth, horns, claws, spines, and feathers, which were what surprised Vandiveer the most. Gone for him was the old notion of sluggish reptilian brutes; he saw agile, clever, avian creatures. He spotted a Triceratops being fed an entire bale of hay by a cowboy, a feathered Dromaeosaurus carried in the arms of an old woman, a hatchling Brachiosaurus chased by a group of children. He stood in a stupor as he marvelled at the mix of dinosaurs and humans, the past and present.

“Mr. Siringo!”, a voice called from behind him.

Vandiveer spun around. Facing him was a well-dressed, middle-aged man who sported a grey handlebar mustache and a bowler hat. He had a round, pleasant face, eyes filled with curiosity and enthusiasm, and he smiled warmly at the newcomer. On his shoulder perched a dusky brown Archaeopteryx, a small birdlike creature with clawed wings and a toothed beak.

“Are you Mr. Siringo?”, questioned the man.

“Indeed I am.” Vandiveer replied.

“Welcome to Fossil Ridge, Mr. Siringo!”

The man shook his hand vigorously.

“And who would you be?”, Vandiveer asked.

“I am Horace B. Samson, your esteemed deputy! And this is my companion, Ambrose.”

He motioned to the Archaeopteryx, which screeched in reply.

“Deputy?”

Horace gave Vandiveer a confused look.

“Didn’t the mayor tell you in his telegram?”

“Tell me what?”

“Mr, Siringo, you are Fossil Ridge’s new sheriff.”

Under normal circumstances, this would have surprised Vandiveer, but he was more concerned with the dinosaurs surrounding him.

“Please, call me Van. I would like to arrange a meeting with your mayor; we have much to discuss. He neglected to inform me of this, er, situation.”

“Certainly! He’s expecting you, in fact”, Horace replied, “Our transportation should be here any moment.”

Soon, a stagecoach pulled by two duck-billed hadrosaurs appeared at the train station.

“Not much need for horses around here, eh?”, Van quipped.

“Finding your new surroundings a bit different, I see”, Horace chuckled.

Both men boarded the stagecoach and took their seats. The stagecoach pulled away from the station and made its way down the main street of Fossil Ridge. Van peered out the window and observed the town and its inhabitants. He could see even more prehistoric creatures than when he first arrived. The elongated necks of massive sauropods rose above the buildings while pterosaurs soared through the air. Below the towering behemoths, the townspeople and all kinds of other dinosaurs mingled together, going about their daily businesses.

“Where the hell did all these dinosaurs come from?”, he mused.

Horace pointed out the window to range of steep, cragged peaks looming in the west.

“Beyond those mountains is where they came from.”

“What’s beyond the mountains?”

“The Mysterious Valley is. Hundreds of squares miles of isolated prehistoric jungle inhabited by dinosaurs and other extinct animals of all sorts and surrounded by impassable mountains. Here in Fossil Ridge, we have learned to coexist with the dinosaurs, as you can see. We find it advantageous to live and work side-by-side. It has become a local custom to visit the Mysterious Valley and choose a companion from its creatures. That is how I became acquainted with Ambrose here. ”

The Archaeopteryx, still perched on Horace’s shoulder, cooed softly.

“Just how did a valley from millions of years ago end up in the desert?”, Van inquired.

“No one knows for sure. All we know is the that it came through the Passageway.”

“And what, pray tell, is the Passageway?”

“Once again, we don’t know for sure. Our best guess is that it is some sort of hole in the universe that connects our time with the far past. No one has ever traveled through it and seen the other side.”

“Interesting.”

This whole thing, weird town, prehistoric valley, humans and dinosaurs together, seemed very bizarre to Van, but he went along with it. What choice did he have? The stagecoach came to a stop in front of a brick building with four stone columns and a clock tower.

“Here we are!” exclaimed Horace, “This is town hall; now you shall meet the mayor.”

Van and Horace exited the stagecoach and entered the town hall. The inside was quiet compared to the rest of the town, with not a soul in sight. They made their way up a flight of stairs to the mayor’s office. When they opened the doors of the office, they found the mayor sitting stoically behind his desk, waiting patiently for them. He was a burly man with a ruddy face and trimmed sideburns. He calmly puffed on a cigar, while petting a mottled grey Herrerasaurus that stood by his side.

“Mayor Callaghan, I would like to introduce you to Vandiveer Siringo.”

“Mr. Siringo, it is an honor to have you here”, the mayor said solemnly.

“Yes, well, apparently I am the new sheriff,” Van replied.

The mayor pulled a silver object out of his pocket and tossed it to Van. Van inspected it - it was a sheriff’s badge.

“Indeed you are, Mr. Siringo. I understand that my telegram was vague and that this might be a peculiar situation for you, with the dinosaurs and all, but I sincerely hope that you can accept this offer.”

“What exactly happened to your last sheriff?”, Van inquired.

The mayor shifted nervously, and his Herrerasaurus growled.

“He was shot and killed in an unfortunate dispute. You see, recently the Mysterious Valley and its vast natural resources and prehistoric inhabitants have attracted the attention of many outside parties. The railroads, banks, mining companies, and outlaws are all trying to exploit the valley. We here in Fossil Ridge have tried to keep them at bay, but we’ve had some setbacks. We’d like you to serve as the protector of the town and the valley.”

“So you want me to put a stop to all the corrupt companies and criminals?”

“Precisely. First, I want you to travel to the valley and find yourself a companion. One will be useful for your job. Then you can begin to eliminate our adversaries and bring order and justice to this town and peace to the valley. I have faith in you, Mr. Siringo. I know that you are a more than capable lawman.”

Van pinned the sheriff’s badge to his coat.

“I’ll do it. I’ll be the sheriff.”

“Excellent! Rest assured that you will be paid for your efforts, and that your needs will be accommodated for. Good luck, Mr. Siringo. We’re counting on you.”

“Please, call me Van.”

And with that, Van and Horace left the mayor’s office. As they walked through the still empty town hall, Horace piped up again.

“Since we will be needing to make a visit to the valley, I think we should enlist the help of those who know it best. The valley can be an extremely dangerous and unpredictable place. There are two persons who visit the Mysterious Valley most often and are well acquainted with it.”

“Who do you have in mind, Horace?”

“You’ll see, Van, you’ll see.”

The sign hanging above the door read: “Dr. Theodore Abbott, Veterinarian and Surgeon”.

“Doc Theo knows the valley and its wildlife better than just about anyone else. He’ll be a great help to us, especially since you need a companion”, Horace remarked.

Van opened the door and was immediately greeted by the two-horned face of a Nasutoceratops. The ceratopsian dinosaur, about the size of a small horse, was a tawny color with a bristled tail. It grunted and snorted at the appearance of the visitors.
“That would be Rucon, one of the Doc’s companions”, explained Horace, “Hello, Doc!”

When Rucon shuffled out of the way, Van got a better look at the inside of the room. The walls were well stocked with medical and surgical equipment of all sorts, all neatly arranged. In the corner of the room sat a wiry man with a tousle of brown hair wearing a tweed suit and a pair of spectacles. On his shoulder rested a fuzzy, chestnut-colored Sordes pterosaur.

“Van, this is Doc Theo and his other companion, Phineas. Doc, this is our new sheriff, Vandiveer Siringo.”

Theo stood up and shook hands with Van.

“Pleased to meet you”, Van said.

Theo made a series of motions with his hands.

“Oh sorry. I forgot to mention that the Doc is a mute”, Horace interjected, “I’ll translate the sign language for you. He says that he is pleased to meet you, too.”

Theo signed again.

“He is wondering what we are here for”, Horace translated.

“We need to travel to the Mysterious Valley”, answered Van, “and we need a guide.”

“We thought you would be able to help, since you know the valley and its dinosaurs so well. And you would be able to provide medical attention if anything should go wrong…”, Horace added.

Horace turned to Van while Theo paced and thought it over.

“The Doc is a real medical maverick - an excellent surgeon. He also has a deeply personal connection with the dinosaurs, it seems. He rescued both of his companions; Rucon was abandoned by his herd and Phineas was shot through the wing by a hunter. Anyway, his knowledge and skills will be useful.”

“He should be able to assist me in finding a companion.”

“Yes, but part of it will be your decision.”

“How’d he ever end up here?”

“Well, his mother and father…”

Theo held up his hand, and Horace abruptly stopped.

“The past is an unpleasant subject for Doc. Maybe another time…”

Theo began to sign again and Horace looked pleased.

“Excellent! He said he’ll accompany us as our guide. We best be on the move, then. We still have one more person to bring along.”

The trio moved swiftly through the afternoon heat of the desert. Van and Horace rode two saddled Struthiomimus, while Theo sat astride Rucon, who was laden with the group’s supplies. Heading north, they traveled through the dusty foothills of the mountains. Soon, they came upon a ranch nestled in a small canyon. A flock of beak-faced Leptoceratops circled around in a corral, stirring up a cloud of dust. They were being herded by a juvenile Tyrannosaurus with reddish-orange plumage - an odd sight for sure. Sitting on the back of the Tyrannosaurus was a girl wearing a handwoven shawl and a blue bandana. She had tawny skin, wavy black hair, and fierce blue eyes, and looked to be around 16 years old. The three riders stopped and dismounted their dinosaurs. The girl and her Tyrannosaurus turned their attention to the newcomers.

Horace and Theo waved at the girl.

“Hello Beth! We have brought a new arrival with us,” said Horace.

Beth pointed at Van.

“I know who you are. You’re the one-eyed stranger everyone’s been talking about.”

“It seems I am,” Van replied. Word of his arrival must have spread quickly.

“I am Vandiveer Siringo, the new sheriff of Fossil Ridge.”

“Well, I am Elizabeth Golan, dinosaur rancher, tracker extraordinaire, and Apache brave all in one, Mr. Siringo.” Beth retorted.

“You’re only half Apache,” Horace responded, “Besides, you should be a bit nicer to the man who has a gun…”

Beth pulled off a Henry repeating rifle that was slung to her back and pointed it at Van.

“I have a gun too, Mr. Siringo.”

Van just laughed.

“Isn’t the first time I’ve had a gun pointed at my face. And I prefer to be called Van. ”

“I bet you’ve never faced a dinosaur before, Van. Lightning here could tear your arm clean off.”

She stroked her Tyrannosaurus, which bellowed threateningly.

“Easy, you two,” Horace interrupted, “Beth, we want you to come along with us to the valley.”

“What for?”

“Van here needs to find himself a companion. I figured you could assist us, with your tracking skills and experience with the terrain.”

“Why doesn’t he find one himself?”

“Beth, you know how dangerous the valley can be. Even the Doc wouldn’t go there alone.”

Theo signed, He’s right.

Beth gave a stern look and crossed her arms.

“You have your mother’s stubbornness, that’s for sure. Pity you aren’t as courageous as she was.”

Beth’s face reddened.

“Horace Samson, there is one thing you should never do, and that’s insult an Apache’s bravery! I will go with you, if only to prove myself!”

She circled around on Lightning, and then he leapt over the corral fence to join the others.

“Now that that’s settled, let’s be going, shall we?”, Horace suggested.

The now four riders continued northeast on their way to the Mysterious Valley. The sun was slowly setting in the west, while dark clouds gathered to the north.

“There’s a storm coming,” observed Horace.

“We’re only a mile from Easting’s Pass. It’s the only way to get to the valley without crossing the mountains,” explained Beth, “We should reach it before the storm hits us.”

While Horace and Beth rode in front, Theo hung back with Van. He was teaching him various words in sign language.

“What’s the sign for ‘water’?”, asked Van.

Theo was in the middle of showing him the sign when Rucon suddenly snorted and bucked. He attempted to calm the Nasutoceratops, but to no avail. The other creatures began to get restless as well - the Struthiomimus squawked nervously, Lightning growled anxiously, and Phineas and Ambrose screeched and flapped their wings. The group came to a halt.

Something has them spooked, signed Theo.

“He’s right,” replied Beth, drawing her rifle, “Trouble’s heading this way.”

A savage roar filled the air. A jet-black bull Carnotaurus appeared from behind a hill and charged full-force at them. It lunged headfirst and snapped its toothy maw at its intended victims. Van unholstered his revolver and fired at it, but the bullets barely damaged its tough scaly hide. It did however briefly faze the Carnotaurus, which backed off and circled the group. It hissed violently, and then charged again. This time Lightning sprung at the attacker, catching the Carnotaurus by the throat. Beth held on for dear life as Lightning sunk his fangs deeper into the neck of the Carnotaurus. The Carnotaurus roared and attempted to shake the tyrannosaur off, thrashing about wildly. Lightning gripped the Carnotaurus’ snout with his short but powerful arms and clawed at its face. The two theropods remain locked in combat until Beth blasted a .44 bullet into the Carnotaurus’ shoulder. It howled and tore itself away from Lightning, bounding off across the desert back to where it came from.

“Should we follow it?”, asked Beth.

“No,” replied Horace, “we have to reach the valley before the storm hits.”

“What was a big bullhead like that doing this far outside of the valley?”, she asked.

“Maybe someone sent it,” answered Van, “ Maybe they were trying to kill us.”

“Maybe they were trying to kill you, Van.”, said Horace, “A new sheriff is a threat to a lot of people around here.”

“That’s fantastic.”

“No matter, we must be on our way. It takes determination and perseverance to survive out here.”

The four riders hurried along, eager to beat the oncoming storm. The twin peaks of Easting’s Pass loomed in the distance, and a flash of lightning split the sky.

To Be Continued...

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 10:27 AM, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I have seen that too much online and offline. Those who question mine, or any way a way of living not pertaining to their religion's tenets and that show provable truths, seem to be rendered speechless and then resume lecturing without proof, (offline) or don't answer and/or move the point of view to something else. (online) I could use the example, how so many seem to refuse or ignore answeingr my question of how they see my non-religious heteorsexual marriage as being valid in their eyes. (this pertaining how so many refuse to see secular homosexual marriages as legal, because of their religious belief against it. 

belief offers no direct proof to non-belief who fall outside the system of belief itself. why would the adherents of both parties even entertain that?

On 4/21/2017 at 0:33 AM, Hammerclaw said:

There's nothing more injurious to one's Faith as other religious people.

conversely there is nothing more beneficial to ones religion as the faith of others. if that fidelity is for all. for all to ascend together now  but waiting for all to catch up. any other fidelity is partial and also a weak faith. some faiths do have fidelity to all.

your simple post was beautiful hammerclaw, danke.

23 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

This is true, and it is part of learning to be non-judgmental.  Because the members of a group (religion, sex, race, what-have-you are not good people and even evil cannot be used to judge all members of that group nor the group itself.

That said, we must still have the wisdom to understand that some groups do produce more than their statistical share of evil -- be aware but not with judgment, only wisdom.

we could reorient our view towards the advance all take part in. if others still harm we keep them in our extended blessings, extra portion for them as well, but to solve the above post, police our own places for detriment to self or others. take care of your own. the best of groups would do it well and good but the more harmful to self and others would also do it tremendou allsly as more help is needed even from outsiders.

both sides would rise well regardless with one side cleaning house, the other will follow as part of same equation, no need to drag it out as the above paragraph does.

judgmental natures also judge themselves regardless of their innocent verdict that is not what judging truly does, it looks for negativity or error to reject others when instead it should help heal and raise those in negativity that harms or error that harms self. but error of one within their system does not affect another system,. truly said if rejection of others is based on differing belief systems, but to reject required viewing difference as wrong. and many in other social groups outside of faiths have that problem too. clean one side the other will be done too sooner.

7 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

belief offers no direct proof to non-belief who fall outside the system of belief itself. why would the adherents of both parties even entertain that?

conversely there is nothing more beneficial to ones religion as the faith of others. if that fidelity is for all. for all to ascend together now  but waiting for all to catch up. any other fidelity is partial and also a weak faith. some faiths do have fidelity to all.

your simple post was beautiful hammerclaw, danke.

we could reorient our view towards the advance all take part in. if others still harm we keep them in our extended blessings, extra portion for them as well, but to solve the above post, police our own places for detriment to self or others. take care of your own. the best of groups would do it well and good but the more harmful to self and others would also do it tremendou allsly as more help is needed even from outsiders.

both sides would rise well regardless with one side cleaning house, the other will follow as part of same equation, no need to drag it out as the above paragraph does.

judgmental natures also judge themselves regardless of their innocent verdict that is not what judging truly does, it looks for negativity or error to reject others when instead it should help heal and raise those in negativity that harms or error that harms self. but error of one within their system does not affect another system,. truly said if rejection of others is based on differing belief systems, but to reject required viewing difference as wrong. and many in other social groups outside of faiths have that problem too. clean one side the other will be done too sooner.

I think you accidentally posted this on the wrong thread.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Carnivorfox said:

Thank you.   I was wondering why I was being quoted in a writing forum. Especially, when my answer I remember posting it somewhere else.  

Nothing wrong with westerns, but my response would definitely make it a mystery. ;)  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Carnivorfox said:

Oh no! 

Reading still this is great so far, Carnivorfox.

The 1860 Colt is an impessive model able to be fitted with a stock.

While not the "peacemaker" that tamed the West, it is a good choice, hard to load and forget reloading during a fight. 

It would allow a slower pace narrative of any fight perhapas, with more drawn out scenes?

Those bullet set up seem so much better, unique each one, than ammo used soon after.

The ghost of Col. Sam Colt and all of New York City, engraved on the barrel, might not be enough to save Mr. Siringo in Fossil Ridge....

Still reading ^_^

Edited by I hide behind words
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've read up to Doc Abbot's introduction.

While reading a strange effect of energy could be sensed. Lot's of potential energy that when attempting to wield or harness becomes frustrating.

Once when practicing energy balls they would grow so immensely I could no longer manipulate them and it felt frustrating. Especially when trying to "juggle" them from hand to hand.

I felt the same here.

Also the story could do, besides whatever you had in mind to tweak it with, an energy shift of, at least in most instances, being pushed or pulled forward.

Here are possible changes for you to consider.

For intance tweak removing the gun to pulling it out: His long, unkempt blonde hair and unshaven face were shadowed by a wide-brimmed hat. The rugged lawman removed his silver Colt Model 1860 revolver from its holster under his long overcoat...

Into: ...long, unkempt blonded hair and unshaven face were reshadowed by the wide-brimmed hat. He then reached under his long overcoat to unholster. The rugged lawman returned his silver Colt Model 1860 revolver to its favored hand.

For instance tweak the spinning scene for Van not just to spin toward Horace but to flow toward and be drawn toward his voice: "Mr. Siringo!", a voice from behind called to him.

Vandiveer waist up, shoulders, then face began to spin toward the voice. Followed by hip shifting then feet steady shuffling towards the friendly if not enthusiastic voice.

And for instance tweak the initial stagecoach scence from not just pulling away but either being pushed into or being pulled into the city, from: The stagecoach pulled away from the station and made its way down the main street of Fossil Ridge.

Into: The stagecoach was pulled down into Fossil Ridge by the gravity of history's living specimens not just on display but their coexistance with humanity all along the main street.

These are just examples better serviced by the author if desiring to internalize the direction. Of course a back and forth play of energy could be done as well by allowing the story elements and/or characters decide the internal pace and flow.

Cannot wait to read the rest and already peeked to when the four riders are whisking along towards a "to be continued" and hope it will be. Grateful I still have only read half but will now read on.

• Like 2

I really like your ideas for a story. It is quite interesting, but so it is fun!

• Like 2

@I hide behind words

I would have never even thought of making those changes to give the words more energy. Thank you for your comments and unique perspective!

Edited by Carnivorfox
  • Like 1