Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mothman Sighting in Chicago

rashore

No video or photo's even? There's not much to go on at all.

This bit at the bottom from that site leads me to not trust it as any kind of serious source.

Make a small donation to Phantoms & Monsters, and be eligible to receive signed copies of 'Phantoms & Monsters: Mysterious Encounters' and 'Phantoms & Monsters: Unexplained Encounters.' 2 sets are available.

Has anyone tried setting up a motion detector, a bright light and a white dust sheet? 

On 6/1/2017 at 10:49 AM, ChaosRose said:

Just in time for documentary.

How convenient.

Drone?

Sighting update, this time Kenwood Lake Shore: http://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/2017/09/chicago-phantom-viewed-circling-over.html

Hey folks...I'm going to hold off on the 'Daily 2 Cents' post today. There has been an interesting development related to the 'Chicago Phantom.' Here's what I've received so far today (Monday September 11, 2017):

I received a telephone call today (Monday September 11, 2017) at 11:39 AM ET from a witness 'PM' who states that she observed a 'huge winged object' at 10:25 AM CT (15 minutes prior to the telephone call). This was the second time she has seen this winged object (previously seen in May). The witness lives on the 25th floor of a high-rise building at E. 47th St. & S. Lake Park Ave. in the Kenwood community in the south side of Chicago.

17 minutes ago, rashore said:

11:39 AM ET from a witness 'PM' who states that she observed a 'huge winged object' at 10:25 AM CT

More commonly referred to as a 747.

The witness told me that she saw a huge bat-like being circling above and along the tall buildings located on S. Lake Park Ave. and then out toward the lake. She states that she frequently observes airplanes from her home, but that this object was definitely not a fixed winged aircraft.

So, a micro-lite, wing suit or other personal flying device not ruled out.  Maybe a giant bat or a bat-**** crazy women? 

Then the witness commented on some other odd occurrences that she witnessed on the lake. She stated that she and her husband frequently jog the trails along the lake front together. On at least two occasions, they have observed an unknown creature or being emerging from the water...once near the lake shore along the rocks and at another time out a bit further from the shore. She described it as 'reptile-like,' but was not able to give much detail since most of the body stayed submerged. I asked if it was possible that it may have been the same winged being emerging from the water. Her response was that she wasn't sure.

So not one but two types of Cryptid right on her doorstep! Lizard men dragging themselves out of the water and hairy bat people flying above her building, it's a wonder she hasn't become hysterical...

Group manifestation.

The more people want to see Mothman, the more he is seen. Some Chicagoan must have meditated on the being and actualized it.

Since he's a omen for something bad to happen. I wonder what will happen to Chicago if he being sighted there. O.o

18 minutes ago, Princess Serenity said:

Since he's a omen for something bad to happen. I wonder what will happen to Chicago if he being sighted there. O.o

That aspect of the Mothman mythos is actually not found within Keel's book. The 'harbinger of doom' folklore is something that was added during the writing of the Mothman Prophecies film. 

There's a great couple episodes with the screenwriter of Mothman Prophecies [Richard Hatem] on the Astonishing Legends podcast.

http://www.astonishinglegends.com/al-podcasts/2017/5/25/richard-hatem-on-the-mothman-prophecies

It's worth a listen, lots of fun material.

I really liked the bit from the movie about just having a better vantage point. 

Alexander Leek: If there was a car crash ten blocks away, that window washer up there could probably see it. Now, that doesn't mean he's God, or even smarter than we are. But from where he's sitting, he can see a little further down the road.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I really liked the bit from the movie about just having a better vantage point. 

Alexander Leek: If there was a car crash ten blocks away, that window washer up there could probably see it. Now, that doesn't mean he's God, or even smarter than we are. But from where he's sitting, he can see a little further down the road.

Now that's a choice quote. I think Mothman Prophecies is easily one of my favorite films of all time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I think this is a case of mass hysteria and such its more than likely a vulture swan or,crane.A vulture seen during the day would look like it and at night a swan or crane could easily be mistaken as one.There is probably another cause of this however and that is when one is questioned there memory can actually be altered to make a different scenario happen therefore i believe it is not physically possible also if he truly is spotted as much as we think we should have already have a close up shot and see what he really is therefore it is a mix of mass hysteria and many other types of mind confusion/control as we are gullible to rumors

8 hours ago, skrubby said:

mind confusion/control as we are gullible to rumors

Mind control? Really? I don't think Mothman is real, either, but mind control?

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

People still talking about the Mothman? I thought it was a type of owl or bird, since the sightings were in the vicinity of a bird sanctuary.

37 minutes ago, AlaskanSkeptic said:

People still talking about the Mothman? I thought it was a type of owl or bird, since the sightings were in the vicinity of a bird sanctuary.

Some of the sightings were in the vicinity of bird sanctuary, but a bunch of them are from other areas of Chicagoland.

1 minute ago, rashore said:

Some of the sightings were in the vicinity of bird sanctuary, but a bunch of them are from other areas of Chicagoland.

I still think it's highly improbable of a human/moth hybrid.

1 minute ago, AlaskanSkeptic said:

I still think it's highly improbable of a human/moth hybrid.

I think it's highly improbable as well. Don't change the fact that folks in the area are reporting sightings. I find it interesting this spate of sightings is going on as long and in the varieties of areas that it has.

Another article update on this...

Chicagoans and University Psychologist Speculate on 'Mothman'

In 2017, 55 Chicago residents claimed to have witnessed a humanoid creature flying over the skyline of our city. It reportedly resembled a “gothic gargoyle” and had glowing red eyes. What they spotted, or think they spotted, is a phenomenon of folklore 50 years in the making: the Mothman.

https://www.chicagomaroon.com/article/2018/1/30/chicagoans-university-psychologist-speculate-mothm/