Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mothman Sighting in Chicago

rashore

If Mothman has a publicist, Bigfoot, Nessie and other cryptids should look into hiring him or her because Mothman’s appearances are rare enough to keep believers wanting more and non-believers off-guard. They’re also perfectly timed to take advantage of other Mothman-related events like festivals and films. That seems to be the case this week in Chicago, where a witness gave a detailed report on a Mothman encounter which keeps this city near the top of Mothman hotbeds and stimulates interest in an upcoming Mothman documentary.

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/04/mothman-sighting-in-chicago-just-in-time-for-documentary/

• Like 7

You wouldn't of wanted to bump into him when he was a caterpillar 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Is mothmans female counterpart a myth? ..... see what I done there

• Like 4

I'm kind of torn on this one... There's been a bunch of sightings now. I think perhaps someone might have actually seen something, but I have to wonder how much of it might be killer clown syndrome.

• Like 4

Just in time for documentary.

How convenient.

• Like 4

He hasn't been seen down in Cornwall for years then I think he may of been called Owl man all very bizzare 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Matt221 said:

Is mothmans female counterpart a myth? ..... see what I done there

Say     Mythis Mothman  3 times fast . 

hence the abbreviation Mys. Mothman . 

• Like 1

Mothman sighting  in Chicago ;  

(crouching down, centre left ) 

Spoiler

Image result for Chicago band

• Like 3

On 6/1/2017 at 10:38 AM, rashore said:

I'm kind of torn on this one... There's been a bunch of sightings now. I think perhaps someone might have actually seen something, but I have to wonder how much of it might be killer clown syndrome.

Ya, I feel the same way. It's far too easy for mass hysteria (is that the right word?) to exaggerate sightings like this. Someone sees the Mothman, word spreads, and soon Mothmen are seen everywhere. I'm no expert on Illinois biota, is there any large bird species that could account for at least some sightings? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

Ya, I feel the same way. It's far too easy for mass hysteria (is that the right word?) to exaggerate sightings like this. Someone sees the Mothman, word spreads, and soon Mothmen are seen everywhere. I'm no expert on Illinois biota, is there any large bird species that could account for at least some sightings? 

Yes. Chicagoland has large predator birds, owls, turkey vultures, swans, geese, herons, and cranes. I also wouldn't rule out some media hype of someone making a few mothman appearances for the sake of the documentary.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

Yes. Chicagoland has large predator birds, owls, turkey vultures, swans, geese, herons, and cranes. I also wouldn't rule out some media hype of someone making a few mothman appearances for the sake of the documentary.

Thanks for the info, I could see how someone not familiar with those birds, and with Mothman on the brain from all this Mothman talk, could mistake the bird for Mothman. 

As a sort of "augmented reality" for the upcoming documentary? Ya, that's a solid possibility. :)

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the film, at the very least.

• Like 1

My guess would most likely be a great blue heron, they are rather large and tuck their necks in when in flight. All of these sightings were by bodies of water, and they can be startling to see if you're not expecting them. 

• Like 3

This reminds me of the video showing geese flying in front of the Moon which was used to claim it was an ancient alien satellite that has been in orbit around the Earth watching us for millennia. The flapping was claimed to show a spinning satellite.

Now we have other night time sightings which do not have to be large birds. They could be smaller birds which someone thinks are far away. There might be nothing there at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stereologist said:

They could be smaller birds which someone thinks are far away.

(Father Ted, Channel 4)

Edited by acute
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, acute said:

(Father Ted, Channel 4)

Lol gotta love a bit of ted

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update. I've always found the stories to be interesting. You can't always know if it's accurate or not. However there's been many sightings over the years. I've watched something not to long ago and many people thought it could be just a big giant owl or something. I'll try to find it and put it on here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update article- this one has a couple of accounts, and a nice map of sightings.

There’s something strange and creepy happening in the streets of Chicago. Over the last few months, there’s been over a dozen reported sightings of what many claim to be a winged-humanoid type of “thing” flying throughout the city of Chicago. It has been reported all over the web, with dozens of sightings from a multitude of witnesses who all described seeing a flying man-bat.

The incidents are eerily identical of the mayhem and chaos that surrounded Point Pleasant, West Virginia in the late to mid 1960s. When the legendary Mothman made its first appearance. However the description of the creature in these new reports differ from the Mothman. The following account comes from an anonymous Chicago police officer:

http://www.ghosttheory.com/2017/07/26/chicago-phantom-the-strange-sightings-of-a-flying-humanoid

On 6/5/2017 at 7:04 AM, AustinHinton said:

A lot of people don't realize just how big predatory birds can be. When they have a fleeting encounter of one up close at night, I can understand why they might think it's something unknown. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

General NE Illinois update..

Large Gliding Being Over Elgin, Illinois

I received the following account from a witness (BW). The location was 2531 Technology Dr. in Elgin, IL. Here is the initial report, with updates & edits I included after I had the opportunity to interview BW by telephone:

I may have seen the being gliding west, away from Chicago. I work in Elgin about one mile north from I-90 and about 45 mins northwest of Chicago. I was outside of my work and looking skyward at the time. The being was very high up but I could tell it was very big, but it was the odd shape. It was at the height of mid-flying airplane. This was right around 11:45AM on August 1, 2017. It looked just like the thing in that pic that you have on your 1st sighting (2011). The pic with the Native American statue. It looked darker though, but that could have just been the distance that it was, because it was high and it was going away from me also. I was hoping it would turn around but it just kept going on a straight glide westward. I was getting my phone out too late it would have looked like a dot if I would have tried to get a pic, that's why I was hoping it would turn around. I didn't notice it flapping its wings, that's why I keep saying that it was gliding. It kept in a very straight direct motion. I plan on taking breaks for the next few weeks around this time in case it passes again....

http://www.phantomsandmonsters.com/2017/08/large-gliding-being-over-elgin-illinois.html

• 4 weeks later...

The idea of this thing gliding harmlessly through the skies makes me slightly nonplussed.

It's a bit like Aliens. They've been coming here for years but only to taunt us from a distance using their PhotoBlur Tech ™️.

• Like 1