Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Goodreads 108 Best Nonfiction Ghost Books

rashore

While wandering around some book reviews, I came across this list.... Goodreads top 108 nonfiction ghost books.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/5950.Best_Nonfiction_Ghost_Books

I found the list kind of interesting. I've only read maybe 6-10 of the books on the list. A lot of the books are more location specific that I haven't read up on in book form- I tend to more midwest-ish action there. But a lot of the location books I'm aware of because I've seen the information about them or that place through online reading. Like I've read the Haunted Heartland book itself, along with some of the companion books, but I've only read on the Virginia stories online.

There was another handful of titles I recognized but haven't read. And a large amount of books I've never even heard of. I've also read a goodly handful or few true story books that weren't on the list.

If nothing else, figured it would be an interesting conversation starter. So much reading is online now, books and book reviews not as much..

• Like 1

I have read many  ghost story books...am i biting at your thread here rashore?...because i do believe ."non fiction" is debatable.

:whistle:

but i will look at some of these....for entertainment purposes.

many "true" ghost stories have proven to be fiction...Amittyville by Jay Anson being one of the famous one....it is not non fiction.

this is not right:

You can read book The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson in our library for absolutely free. ... Categories: Nonfiction.

Ps : the horror at High Hopes is true...the ghost stories after are pure fiction.

Edited by freetoroam

JEEEEZE just gone onto the list and Amittyville is on it.

The rest look pretty suspect too.

how the heck do they get away with calling these non fiction?

Heh, I have to agree with you free about how much non is in these non-fiction books. I figured probably 6-10 books might better qualify as closer to actual non... but most of them are "true" accounts types of things. But I went with how Goodreads listed it because I thought it part of the novelty of the list. And that's why I think I've read a good handful of other books of this particular kind of genre- lots of "true" ghost stories and the like. It's a lot of why I got interested in some of the spooky stuff early on. How much "true" could there be? And how much was actually crap?

And yep, Amityville Horror- it's the earliest "true" horror/ghost book I vividly remember. It was read to me the year it was released when I was a toddler before I learned how to read myself at my own insistence- my older brother and sister were being read to and I couldn't sit out, lol. I've revisited it a few times through my adulthood. It's still a crazy story, but wow, do I know a lot of factual things a lot better now, heh. But- how many folks read the original book compared to all the online info now-a-days? I include online versions of the book as well as printed versions vs a website that has the info on it.

• Like 1

I am reading a crime book at the moment and it has a chapter about High Hopes in Amittyville. 

I do not understand how some of these alleged ghost stories can be categorized under non fiction.

unless they feel it will bring in more money, but it is deception and we have enough people having their minds confused and mixed up by what they are reading or watching today with these kind of stories...sticking non fiction on them does not help matters.

i find some very good references on line...and although i love my books, it is far quicker to cross reference on line, especially with a ghost story being claimed as true....although i still have had to bring out a book sometimes.

Surprised Hans Holzer only had one entry on the list and it's the very last one.