Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you think of paranormal investigaters?

Sariegn

aquatus, I assure you, I am not trying to “pick a fight” with you or anyone else. However, in your initial posts in this thread you came across as arrogant and condescending.

I came very close to majoring in nuclear physics and over the years, have contributed to Nuclear Regulatory Commission publications. Accordingly, I probably know as much, if not more, than you do about “scientific methodology.”

Anyone who has studied even basic science knows there are circumstances to which the scientific method does not apply. First, the “methodology” to which you refer is applicable only when one is able to isolate a phenomenon and conduct repeated testing, making limited changes, in a controlled environment. If one is unable to isolate a phenomenon, then testing is impossible.

For example, if a “ghost-hunter” had all his equipment set up in an old house where a ghost is said to appear on the stairway—for some reason ghosts seem to like stairways—in order to accomplish anything, first, the ghost would have to be present. Okay, let’s assume the hunter got really lucky and the ghost chose that moment to glide down the stair. The “ghost-hunter” notes electromagnetic changes, a drop in temperature, an increase in positive ions, and manages to get a bad photo that may show something. What would he have proven? Nothing. First, there are variables to consider because many things can cause electromagnetic changes, drops in temperature, an increase in positive ions, and bad photos. From a scientific standpoint, he could not control or repeat the experiment because ghosts, which do not conform to the laws of nature, cannot be isolated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sariegn

• aquatus1

• lee77

• regmanabq

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, guys, you are both intellectual geniuses--we stand in awe of your brain power. So cut it out already!

What began as an interesting thread has turned into a painfully boring debate of the intellects. I feel sorry for the poor kid who started this blog.

Howdydoo, I believe you have a point. Lee, I think we agree on a great many things, however we seem to be talking about two different things. To prevent a hijacking of this thread, I withdraw.

Yay their done argueing... grin2.gif

Seems everyone has their own opinions on how ghosts should be investigated. Its natural that we all dont beleive the same things. If everyone got along and agreed this world would be very scary... blink.gif

I think this will be my last on this topic. No sense in banging your head against a wall.

Sorry Lee but you don't seem to be discussing and rather spouting off your personal opinion only. I chose to respond once and then stop wasting everyones time. IF you really want to argue PM me and we can go on for eternity about things.

1- I never said anything about ghosts using batteries.

2- Electricity was once thought to be supernatural. Believe what you will that scientists have known about it for centuries, but show me the texts or get off it. I seem to remember prominent scientists of the time laughing at every single great discovery ever. Scientists are not supermen, they get it wrong sometimes too and many tend to think like you "if you can't prove it yet, it's not science" as long as you don't refer to any of their ongoing experiments to prove their own half cocked ideas. Sometimes science is egotistical.

3-I know you say people are charlatans. But you never say why. That's just wrong and if it were my board you would have to explain yourself.

4- I'm sorry some people ruined your graveyard or upset your tenants. But to lump all ghosthunting in with the bad few is unfair to the many good ones out there. I used to party in graveyards as a teen and I was the only who always made sure everyone picked up after themselves.

Just because you have a camera and call yourself ghost hunter does not make it so. Yes, there are many wannabes that make it hard for serious research and some may even have fancy letters on their shirts.

5- I live in NM and almost majored in physics too. Many of my friends and family work for nuclear weapons labs. Are you telling me I know all about nuclear science because of that? Don't tell me what you almost did, tell me what you know and where your sources are.

And I'm spent. Tired of fighting with close minded skeptics. The nuclear bomb was thought for sure to be impossible and even if it were so they knew it would blow up the world. They set it off anyway and we are all still here.

Scientists do not always agree and the basis of the whole process is that which you can't prove yet. Don't say it's impossible, anything, until you know for sure. You might just get surprised.

Someone who posts here regularly—and who has suffered many unwarranted attacks by certain members—sent me several emails asking that I join this message board.

I never said you, specifically, claimed ghosts drain batteries or whatever.

I did not explain why I called Dave Oester and Sharon Gill charlatans because I had already done so on page 4 of the topic entitled, "i don't mean to be a stick, but orbs are fake."

If you will read my posts, you will see I am not a skeptic, nor am I closed-minded.

But I’ve had enough and will never open this topic again.

And it was getting to be more interesting hmm.gif . I feel that a scientific methodology being used by paranormal investigators is more relevant to this thread than wether an unproven phenomenon exists.

To Lee77: You had a science background that is good, can you imagine writing a thesis based on supernatural occurence? or publishing a report on a journal on paranormal phenomenon? This are unacceptable in science, better if you had mentioned that you do not understand what has happened. Now I am a physicist in a scientific community and can safely assure you that "supernatural" is not a legitimate explaination in a scientific paper.

I can accept the existence of unknowns but I acept that they can be scientifically quantified?

your a 14 year old paranormal investigator...with no equipment...and you say a ghost tried to kill you...

i am 18 and am no where near as prepared as real paranormal investigators. All i have is a camera and the will to try and prove whether ghosts are real or not. If you believe completely that everything is a ghost then you are not a investigator, you are a hopeless believer. Leave the investigations to those who really want to prove something, even if that means proving ghosts do not exist.

and by the way, ghosts dont try to kill people. It is not a characteristic of a "ghost."

These boards are good until you have 13 yea old children making up stories about how ghosts tried to kill them or how they see dead people or how they are possessed by the devil from a ouiji board...honestly there are some people here (me being one of them) that does not appreciate your crap. there are all ready enough hoaxes out there.

I have met several local paranormal investigators, and they are all very normal people with full-time jobs and regular lives. They have an interest in the "paranormal" and usually do their investigating as a hobby, and/or because they believe that they have experienced something "paranormal" in nature and would like to help others who share this belief. I think that paranormal investigation would make a great hobby - whether or not science supports it. Lots of people have fun with it - and it can be fascinating stuff, for those who can manage to lighten up for five seconds....

I can't imagine how incredibly boring it must be to demand scientific proof and facts for everything that is suggested to you. Ghosts aren't real - fine. We get the point. Why don't we all go ahead and tell the kids that Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny aren't real while we're at it? After all, there are no scientific facts to prove their existence! (Though I think that St. Nicholas was actually a real person... wink2.gif )

Don't get me wrong - I'm not of the class of people who sees a photo of some dust particles or a bug in flight and claims "ghost" - and I DO admit that there are some investigators out there who jump to conclusions. The investigators that I know personally are serious about what they do, but they also have a good time doing it. Real or not. Hoax or not.

The reason I made this topic is because thats my hobby in the summer. I wonder what people think of us, Strange? Intresting? Or just crazy? Its not that we are bored and fearless, i get scared to death by ghosts. I cant stand to look at them but i still search. I like this hobby because death doesn't bother me, and i have a abnormal feeling when the ghosts are near me.

433765[/snapback]

I think of them as a person that wants to know it all. what i'm saying is they need to find out what's going on so they can handle there job alot well instead of thinking of some stupid cover ups i think they want us to know about what happens in everyday life. yes.gif