Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

April 23rd - Saint George's Day -

bee

We tend not to make a big fuss about England's national day -

But please feel free to make a little fuss if you want to - :) 

~~~~HOME SWEET HOME~~~~ 

• Like 4

Interestingly, according to Wiki pedia. the Free Encylopedia. he was, assuming that he did in fact exist at all, probably from either Turkey or Palestine. So I'm sure I'll be doing something appropriate! :D

* This is something I didn't know:  The earliest dedication to the saint in England is a church at Fordington, Dorset that is mentioned in the will of Alfred the Great.[29]

That's just down the road from me  although the current one dates from the 19th c.

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 4

I know - not sure how we ended up with St. George - 

He's not very popular with Dragons either - 

• Like 2

The Robin ~  our beloved national bird seems to have a slightly different personality to other
birds - they aren't so scared of humans and can be quite tame ... coming closer than any of the
others --- watching what we are up to in the garden and swooping down for worms -

In the morning when I go out to put the seeds and meal worms and whatnot out for the birds I say --

"Where's my little beauty?"... and more often than not there he (or she) is ...first to the table..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_robin

Erithacus rubecula with cocked head.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Interestingly, according to Wiki pedia. the Free Encylopedia. he was, assuming that he did in fact exist at all, probably from either Turkey or Palestine. So I'm sure I'll be doing something appropriate! :D

* This is something I didn't know:  The earliest dedication to the saint in England is a church at Fordington, Dorset that is mentioned in the will of Alfred the Great.[29]

That's just down the road from me  although the current one dates from the 19th c.

well fancy that

and so you are in the perfect position to pop to that church in Fordington and do a little Morris Dance or
go and toast our Fair Isle then pour a libation into the ground to celebrate ~

let us know how you get on

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

St Edmund the Martyr was England's original patron saint. He was the King of East Anglia from 25th December 865 until he was killed by the invading Great Heathen Army on 20th November 869. He met his death at an unidentified place known as Haegelisdun, after he refused the Danes' demand that he renounce Christ: the Danes beat him, shot him with arrows and then beheaded him, on the orders of Ivar the Boneless and his brother Ubba. According to one legend, his head was then thrown into the forest, but was found safe by searchers after following the cries of an ethereal wolf that was calling, in Latin, "Hic, Hic, Hic" – "Here, Here, Here".

Edward III, King of England from 1327 to 1377, replaced St Edmund as the patron saint of  England with St George, who Edward associated with the Order of the Garter. There is a campaign, though, to have St Edmund replaced as England's patron saint, with the Cross of St Edmund - currently the flag of Suffolk - becoming England's flag.

flag-stedmund.jpg

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bee said:

We tend not to make a big fuss about England's national day -

But please feel free to make a little fuss if you want to - :) 

~~~~HOME SWEET HOME~~~~ 

Here's the current Google Doodle:

st-georges-day-2017-5695595158175744.2-2

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

According to one legend, his head was then thrown into the forest, but was found safe by searchers after following the cries of an ethereal wolf that was calling, in Latin, "Hic, Hic, Hic" – "Here, Here, Here".

or perhaps had been drinking a bit too much. :-/ 

• Like 1

Scones ready to go in the oven, clotted cream in the chiller, home-made strawberry jam....can't wait for high-tea :tu:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, keithisco said:

Scones ready to go in the oven, clotted cream in the chiller, home-made strawberry jam....can't wait for high-tea :tu:

And James Bond is coming on on ITV in an hour. I might watch that with some cans of Spitfire ale. That is a very English thing to do.

• Like 5

I've been on a St Georges day march today lead by a pipe band in full regalia with several other marching bands cubs, boy and sea scouts and various other institutions, we marched to St Georges church where a service was held.

My contribution to the list of British culture, the meaning of this one is lost in the mists of time.

• Like 5

Here's something suitably English down on the Sea front today..

Jaguar Mk 2;

WGqfNt6OT8xsAXMX_wL0CpiD1kH86WQeY0-5pwFW1SBtLwV0NIN0vCt-qKEhSOrJrzt7xcfMslQlKcjTecIyUZ1RFLQlVnuxU_XwVIjnBaykqgpcJO7rCQjOUGCAwsiYXz1KolrmelhMMFukpCcemjC5CsG_tkPnMrtfjmxHZ491G0n5_wvaSQjuJtiSqbnmedVtXnqLm113GrlSx4bPTXwRznZv_0uqsO2qlyhY1TafhQYA8bdbAqyjq4xjFA17V7CIADjvclzevLEADVdqye1z0oVD8UDkIZ-xjk4jDMvkulzsHyXkaIW_VMRDe_PWilGuMF4rEh3wNUZqtoMh9xJdKJkGWuwj7hKonUgMUdVkGbUixF-odyMdeZp0gEUeS6DSgEO8Prnl5RnS3hq4xCAh77lzIT403uiPZhJQZ8FZcKidG_alsChbKgngq6EuRCwpUsruYUPOXsYMOtOwXFDoGZGxXz5afH4AJLFyqxw18uq2OaNrB3LIw-ib_4oy41XvYB-3tQ6FsnaYhZdGeg_pzBPY-1D-ffrQjRu9bkFW4EwYdKlZRIS0tbPy6xaH7RXo6yFo8b_XZOhvYYcHKHXbSGZ6xBidy0Bnf5SzVE0rPSNYGdWxhA=w1321-h743-no

Aston martin Vantage:

fHwDkvbDe4oark2MbieYexFOg53bbnMM1dcc1CM-qHPirj3GpgbeL6QkAcAE-CDtqhMfyG_eTVEeiquWxlB1JxYJVEjI5WsGqY13JhHrCvfUIdXt97DOJ4IJMnDNO8f-xB1kBHrTtKBwlIGkncBq9ehK6clKgNC_iS1zTfSvEU7__QGr7wFhcTcyy0qIQCxnF9GPGTfdCN0t907cyOD0p4xaYKd6C9qVdumtefU5SuTOvjlhfGwRuMnkw-VfQt8rdGVTEBIDaOYbfb15lOCWXWFZzX1gBnl2_d1-ypGOPRwHxM2hKiLSIghCshQNpkbB1tY_v_7IO1eOA-yUxyvoL5pDzK8ysg2KUtkc-ePkoEDNpBef5V4H3UCMcr7XutOU5Sd9srbZDDyj1WFswF9Aegtkbd17w9jf3BcKtAHdHy8F8xKWlNJZOoyWwH8vw8xYECt8z_xBCEiXHYyUq6gYx6cikhaK2QBfjynplDWRZgxkKPyEEWDtlfUmClYQzn2b6UCDOhJEeT7wB7MC-0494Zjt_NNFlDxLPivmZKbbdqjJ9n2RGDorKgCPYi3oIh3kRNCjJuSuhqj5_dAFTWC8OE7LD0iP2O0Y97w83-zP6YQ2bSyUCsrbXQ=w1321-h743-no

Mini Cooper (original):

hDH-YYNA4iLShnfb9GX17lZbetFhGgfrpNU1I839i9A1SWKOvHJH9FyRSndIyHVeqNXsMtHzpIeBT_0M1kzH0wtBlzm-_MBsBfjuQ8U2poSSmxYZ1vc7Zf_SiD-b70VQiF6tnXphU762w1LcQkOmjuEWKzEfgRLlI0E36OWXsJbJ8wSoekr9UXn8uWNilutMPW-5Tow7x4xofHLtwLZWNy93cnOz6MeJQ_0UO68DW1audMDSauxB3u-1fFFCJIhBZBEa8sd4IiEddyyJnE5x3Eg1hkYkf4d1ntOvfFzTnEWjLtiVA74rchS4FThUjiwv2hqUdQZQcm7KJvQ7J_CVkKd4suhkQSTXQHCTkjgX1lTqk429JlsfMu0ZRwNuImM2TzfNnUTyzL1yaMV1bd-M9n74ChdBBeJbQArZNsHUlPAabIFWilZKcNb8ytEy-ATrWnYEWYjELiW9RLYyM6hw6jFpbFOPiYX2RwozsJv8ss4EJEo9x1NdQ-U__omo2yIEDyTf0pJ3uZynOWV95ombUHCItqA3rRinHNVxds4aahQo-nGBCYgN8ME65vlc0TcpCdeX7EC4OeUqfmMtB_zWOYmn29cHGOlsrTDm8zPK6R_mH1SorQ=w418-h743-no

• Like 2

St Georges Day as passed by again with little fanfare.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

St Georges Day as passed by again with little fanfare.

At least we'll get a bank holiday when Jezza takes the reigns... in his dreams.

A little hard to forget the multiple stories over the years of Labour local councils trying to ban the display of our national flag though, lest it offend minorities :rolleyes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

I've been on a St Georges day march today lead by a pipe band in full regalia with several other marching bands cubs, boy and sea scouts and various other institutions, we marched to St Georges church where a service was held.

My contribution to the list of British culture, the meaning of this one is lost in the mists of time.

1953? Dancing in the streets on sunny days would have helped to take people's minds, temporarily, away from mind-numbing poverty, bombed out cities and rationing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

At least we'll get a bank holiday when Jezza takes the reigns... in his dreams.

A little hard to forget the multiple stories over the years of Labour local councils trying to ban the display of our national flag though, lest it offend minorities :rolleyes:

Emily Thornberry has been at it again: http://www.express. co.uk/news/uk/795110/Emily-Thornberry-St-George-s-Day-Labour

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 2