Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan's 'burning pavement' mystery solved

UM-Bot

"When the joggers ran along the pavement the lime ended up being absorbed by their shoes."

Ha ha! Serves you right for being smug, sanctimonious and self righteous! 

:D 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 1

It turned out that their symptoms were the result of chemical burns - something that should have only been possible if they had come in to contact with strong chemicals. - See more at: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/306841/japans-burning-pavement-mystery-solved#sthash.dPwjfNtq.dpuf

If this had happened on Eastleigh, they would have brushed it off as JUST chemicals....sorry, Manfred got me on this and I just can not belieeeeeve the brazenness.

It was discovered that it was just a couple of chemicals in the drains had mixed, producing a gas.”

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15240028.Emergency_services_called_after_shoppers_struggle_to_breathe_in_toilet/

By now you would think this kind of thing would not happen, but they got a job to do and they will do it what ever way is quickest cheapest. and they wonder why people get cancer.

Edited by freetoroam

Just now, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

"When the joggers ran along the pavement the lime ended up being absorbed by their shoes."

Ha ha! Serves you right for being smug, sanctimonious and self righteous! 

:D 

The quote said joggers not cyclists !!!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Twin said:

So..... they got lime disease?

And had to hotfoot-it to the doctors.

Good puns.  Lime is pretty insoluble, but highly alkaline.  I don't see  how their shoes absorbed the lime without leaving whitish spots on the soles.  If they were jogging barefoot, I can see the lime causing issues.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:25 PM, Farmer77 said:

The quote said joggers not cyclists !!!! 

You have them over there too then? 

• Like 1

Just now, oldrover said:

You have them over there too then? 

Maddening jerks in spandex yelling "same road same rules" at motorists while following none of said damn rules themselves? Yeah we got em LOL 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Maddening jerks in spandex yelling "same road same rules" at motorists while following none of said damn rules themselves? Yeah we got em LOL 

Oooooh god, I thought it was just here.

I lost it completely with a group of them a couple of years ago, as in jumping out of the car and demanding they get off and discuss what they'd just called me. They decided they didn't, I still bask in that moment. 

• Like 2

I would never run or cycle in way of heavy traffic.

Cycle downtown where sidewalks are for pedeatrians unless roads are busy busy then safety first.

I run on edge of road only on stretches with hard terrain and ditches and dips and poles all in one sections, I would not risk a brokem ankle, even if edge of road is the edge. And cars must push to side a bit.

But cars first even in parking lots as i lose not them if we collide.

Cannot abide by parking lot walkers who make me wait when backing out or to comtinue anywhere outside of crosswalk or store/business front.

• Like 1

To me as a chemist, this "explanation" seems to be mistaken.  Lime would extract from the pavement as calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 which is alkaline enough.  But on contact with air it absorbs carbon dioxide forming CaCO3 which is chemically the same as ordinary limestone or marble.  I await correction on this. 

Edited by Codenwarra
Only a third of the text actually uploaded.
  • Like 1