Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Medieval books offer hope for new antibiotics

Still Waters

For a long time, medieval medicine has been dismissed as irrelevant. This time period is popularly referred to as the “Dark Ages,” which erroneously suggests that it was unenlightened by science or reason. However, some medievalists and scientists are now looking back to history for clues to inform the search for new antibiotics.

The evolution of antibiotic-resistant microbes means that it is always necessary to find new drugs to battle microbes that are no longer treatable with current antibiotics. But progress in finding new antibiotics is slow. The drug discovery pipeline is currently stalled. An estimated 700,000 people around the world die annually from drug-resistant infections. If the situation does not change, it is estimated that such infections will kill 10 million people per year by 2050.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/medieval-medical-books-could-hold-recipe-new-antibiotics-180962947/

• Like 4

I remember hearing a year or so ago that a recipe from an old Viking writing held the way to make an antibiotic that wipes out MRSA. Never saw anything else about it. I hope someone somewhere is working on making it feasible to mass produce. A lot of medieval and American Indian cures did work. Old wives tales aren't always just tales.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, susieice said:

I remember hearing a year or so ago that a recipe from an old Viking writing held the way to make an antibiotic that wipes out MRSA. Never saw anything else about it. I hope someone somewhere is working on making it feasible to mass produce. A lot of medieval and American Indian cures did work. Old wives tales aren't always just tales.

But not profitable for the pharmaceutical companies if natural healing could replace synthetic medicines.

• Like 5