Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Voynich manuscript 'written in two languages'

UM-Bot

Well, this is a cool development. I hope the team, or if not; somebody else, decides to translate it. Just for curiosities sake. Is the assumption it's based on how to plant stuff based on a fully translated page? As in, they know it's likely it's just a gardening book? Or is it an assumption based purely on the drawings? If the latter, couldn't the drawings be a red herring? As in, they're there to make any attempt at breaking the cipher seem worthless or of little value?

I mean, I've read how innocuous things are often added to coded messages to make them seem innocent or gibberish, perhaps the drawings are the same? I doubt there is anything earth shattering in the book but it'd be a great bit of fun to read anyway. Perhaps when the words are translated there is a hidden message or wisdom by, I dunno, taking certain words on certain lines and creating a sentence that way? (obviously you could do that with any book and make sense, but it's an example).

If the exact cipher code could be provided online and a high quality transcript of what the book says, the public could do it.

Or perhaps... There is something amazing in the book that the Russians have translated and they don't want others getting it?!

• Like 1

From the manuscript having 3 different languages, it sounds like three people or groups of people wrote it.  I can see German and English as English is mostly based on German.  From what I've been told, Italian and Spanish are similar as well.  I guess Italian and Spanish were derived from Latin.

The Russians may not want help in translating this as it may contain something that's against their beliefs or they just want all the glory in the accomplishment.

5 hours ago, paperdyer said:

From the manuscript having 3 different languages, it sounds like three people or groups of people wrote it.  I can see German and English as English is mostly based on German.  From what I've been told, Italian and Spanish are similar as well.  I guess Italian and Spanish were derived from Latin.

The Russians may not want help in translating this as it may contain something that's against their beliefs or they just want all the glory in the accomplishment.

Or just one person well educated or versed in languages, as it could easily be the case, given that back then people able to write and read were usually scholars.

Everybody knew latin, it was like nowadays English and the international language for culture. 

And Church's official language. 

Italian and Spanish are orally similar, but quite differently written. 

Anyway you guess right, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Romanian are all derived from Latin (they are called Romance languages). 

I'd be interested to know what did they use as a reference to compare with, because for instance the Italian from the XV century is way different from today's, not only phonetically and syntactically, but also in the actual words. 

An average Italian person today would find very difficult to read and understand a text from that time.

Same goes for English and German. 

So, coupled with the co-author's asinine comment regarding the usefulness (or lack of thereof) of understanding the manuscript, this article leaves me quite perplexed. 

• Like 2

How to preserve sacred esoteric knowledge without risking destruction (like with Bible, Magick, witchcraft, etc.):
Write a book in 3 different languages. Remove all spaces. Remove all vowels. Add some nice pictures of plants for distraction. All done, works a treat. '500 years later...'

• Like 1

On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 5:07 AM, seanjo said:

A drug dealers code book!!!

What you selling?

^bless

Nah, man... that don't work right away takes forever but controls you way to hard.

^bless is 1/2 of that so you are already 1/2 natural bless^

Bless...er. What? 

^you got 1/4 bless

Do I got a quarter bless?

^bless yourself by -Do (multiplied by) -¿tone?

I got quarter bless

^bless flip real soon, got truckers atlas that roads itself, and got your own 4 corners 

Like that perpindicular some say is cross.

^bless yes see king arm crossed stand high proud/see king arm crossed same pose but on back -pride +++telling his princes about clouds and stars

And I'll flip it now bro sis and say quarter turn either way I see queens rule then 180° or turn two corners and queen tells man carry this ^bless for me

Kain: The Pillars don't belong to them, Raziel... they belong to us.
Raziel: Your arrogance is boundless, Kain.
Kain: There's a third option, a monumental secret hidden in your very presence here. But it's a secret you have to discover for yourself. Unearth your destiny, Raziel. It's all laid out for you here.
Raziel: You said it yourself, Kain... there are only two sides to your coin.
Kain: Apparently so, but suppose you throw a coin enough times... suppose one day, it lands on its edge.

--soul weaver ii

And we count heads, tails, edge, and alloy. Who has a head and a tail? Then perfect balance for that side inbetween both light and dark, right and wrong, this and that not this vs that, then you have noble within known as goddess annointed or deity powered.

• Like 1

Back in those days, anything in written form that was frowned upon by the powers that be will end anyone in a huge bonfire blaze, right in the middle of the Town Square for all to wonder and admire ...

~

• Like 1

Just now, third_eye said:

Back in those days, anything in written form that was frowned upon by the powers that be will end anyone in a huge bonfire blaze, right in the middle of the Town Square for all to wonder and admire ...

~

loved those brown shirts that id be willing to shape shift into flames that dance both tap and goosestep, just to shine a smile on their faces.no hit her youth is where it was at, behind the scenes, bonfires for dance over beltane and sympathetic or imitative magica, and then come morning league girls would roll around the field of dew to gather their faces that glisten of youth fountain elixir. glad one of them was from the isles.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 4:52 AM, UM-Bot said:

Russian scholars have been making headway in deciphering the pages of the mysterious medieval text.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/306853/voynich-manuscript-written-in-two-languages

oh someone free source this so amateur parapolysemist can practice. it be so easy yet challenging to give a translation and maybe another for fun.

hope it was written for that purpose, even not knowing and seeing the art of editing of it all might work as a cryptolabyrinth to reimprint on a mind like mine and yours.

Edited by I hide behind words

Somehow this whole business reminds me of that with the Copiale cipher. The funniest part for me is always people crying "hoax" as soon as they're confronted with something they don't understand. I always wonder if these individuals realize it or not that they're not helping. For some, developing a baseless opinion, it seems, is the end of their "creative" abilities. Or should I say "for most"? What year is it again? Or is the post-modern information age synonymous with the dark ages?

Edited by Rolci
  • Like 3

Interesting research. Yes, I also think that the contents of the book might be uninteresting but that doesn't matter I think, it is not the content that is the interesting part about this book, the interesting challenge is how the book is encoded and how to decode it, and also why the author(s) have chosen to encode the contents like they did.

• Like 1

I am interested to know what the illustrations of women next to stars means. One has 30 pairs, each female is paired with a star, holding the star,  sometimes tethered by her arm to the star. In astronomical section.

Then there is an image of a walled castle and outside on the ground are stars. On page 158.

On 4/26/2017 at 4:32 PM, third_eye said:

~

back in those days ???  

The True Story of a Government-Ordered Book-Burning in America 

https://www.countway.harvard.edu/events/true-story-government-ordered-book-burning-america-wilhelm-reichs-books-and-journals

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

I am interested to know what the illustrations of women next to stars means. One has 30 pairs, each female is paired with a star, holding the star,  sometimes tethered by her arm to the star. In astronomical section.

Then there is an image of a walled castle and outside on the ground are stars. On page 158.

God or Goddess associated with a star or asterism is a common theme throughout history

Image result for dendera zodiac

- yellow portions .

or, more recently than this, it could be a  ' person's  star' ......  at times ; that one nearest the ascendent in the natal horoscope. 

... just hope yours is not Algol !   ( Ra's al Ghul, { Arabic} the Demon's Head , a Mischief-maker , Rosh ha Satan, Satan's Head { Heb.} , Tseih She, the Piled-up Corpses ,  The 'Head of Medusa',  The Gorgon. It is of the nature of Saturn and Jupiter. " It causes misfortune, violence, decapitation, hanging, electrocution and mob violence, and gives a dogged and violent nature that causes death to the native or others. It is the most evil star in the heavens.  " [Robson*, p.124.]

{ It is an eclipsing binary; every 68 hours and 49 minutes this Demon Star ‘blinks’ for roughly 8 hours as the dimmer star of the pair passes between the brighter and the earth. } 

"the Gorgon's head, a ghastly sight,

Deformed and dreadful, and a sign of woe." — Bryant's translation of the Iliad.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, back to earth said:

... back in those days ???  

Ya knows what I means ya smarty pants ... :lol:

~

On 29/04/2017 at 11:08 PM, I hide behind words said:

To me it almost looks like they are meant to be stars associated with the zodiac? I don't know much about historical astrology so I don't know if it's a thing, but to me it looks that way. Secondary stars and/or spirits (or characteristics even?) associated with the zodiac at the centre, personified as naked women (because scribes often were perverts)

• Like 1

i doubt doubt.

It's so doubtful

• Like 1