Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man found living above public toilet for 3 yr

Still Waters

A man found living in the attic of a public toilet in a park here had been there for the last three years before he was arrested last week, police have learned.

According to the Usuki-Tsukumi Police Station, Takashi Yamanouchi, 54, was arrested on suspicion of trespassing on April 13 after an electrician doing maintenance on the facilities saw him and contacted city authorities the previous day.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170422/p2a/00m/0na/014000c

• Like 1

Kinda sad really when you realize that the economic travesty is hitting other countries, not just the U.S.

When people are tired and desperate they are willing to do just about anything and live almost anywhere just to have something that resembles a shelter.

I hope that the authorities can help him instead of throwing him in prison.

• Like 8

Ive been homeless. If I was that worker....Id have made him some sandwiches...or stuffed some money in his hands to feed himself...

however... public toilets,,,.... and man in the roof.... could raise suspicions of voyeurism

• Like 7

Yeah, that is possible too but I am thinking the man figured that since a public restroom facility is so..public that his comings and goings would not be noticed.

• Like 3

It sounds to me like he simply wanted shelter, but who knows what his motives were?   Like seeder, I (and my family) were homeless for a few months when I was 13.  You are very grateful for any shelter where you can rest your head and have access to food and water.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Ive been homeless. If I was that worker....Id have made him some sandwiches...or stuffed some money in his hands to feed himself...

however... public toilets,,,.... and man in the roof.... could raise suspicions of voyeurism

Sadly true, seeder.  I thought the same thing and was ashamed of myself for it immediately.  It's sad that people immediately think the worst these days.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tcgram said:

It sounds to me like he simply wanted shelter, but who knows what his motives were?   Like seeder, I (and my family) were homeless for a few months when I was 13.  You are very grateful for any shelter where you can rest your head and have access to food and water.  

I was without a roof for a brief while (thank God) and the part of it that I remember the most vividly was the feeling that I'd become invisible.  I don't get into larger cities much these days but when I do and see a homeless person, I make SURE to make eye contact and offer a word - and some money if I have it.  Just being recognized as still being human and having some value can make all the difference in a struggling person's life.

• Like 3

he settled in the attic above the public toilets three years ago when a previous inhabitant moved out.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170422/p2a/00m/0na/014000c#csidx4dc03f7eb2cef50957977c7faf50d42 onebyone.gif?action_id=4dc03f7eb2cef50957977c7faf50d42

previous? sounds like a regular motel!

But this is disturbing:

Police reportedly found at least 300 2-liter and 500-mililiter bottles filled with what appears to be the man's urine,

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170422/p2a/00m/0na/014000c#csidx6f57b75506586a2a055899dc86e4702

Errr, why did he not just flush it down the toilet when no one was about? better still - go and use the toilets. He sounds a bit potty to me (excuse the pun) 

• Like 5