Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Premature lambs kept alive in artificial womb

Still Waters

Scientists have been able to keep premature lambs alive for weeks using an artificial womb that looks like a plastic bag.

It provides everything the foetus needs to continue growing and maturing, including a nutrient-rich blood supply and a protective sac of amniotic fluid.

The approach might one day help premature human babies have a better chance of survival, experts hope.

Human trials may be possible in a few years, according to researchers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39693851

• Like 5

Will babies soon be born from BAGS? Scientists raise premature lambs in incredible plastic 'womb'

The device was tested on foetal lambs equivalent to 23-week-old human infants
    It proved to be a success, allowing them to develop normally in the incubator
    It aims to help tiny babies safely develop their organs during the critical period
    Scientists believe the artificial womb could be ready for human trials in 5 years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4443674/Artificial-womb-premature-babies-alive.html

• Like 1

I think it's wonderful and hopefully in time they can create one for babies a little under 23 weeks to. Atleast 8 of the babies born in my family were premature (my big brothers were due to mom getting Pre Eclampsia they were 14 weeks early back in 72 and thankfully made it) and thankfully all are happy healthy adults now.

• Like 2

Threads Merged