Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why can't you shake hands with a robot?

Claire.

Why Can't You Shake Hands with a Robot?

It's quite common for humans – especially those who work in manufacturing – to tie a knot, strip the casing off a cable, insert a pin in a hole or use a hand tool such as a drill. They may seem like simple tasks, but are really very complex and involve extremely fine finger and hand motions. Though robots are getting more and more involved in factory work and in a wide range of other types of jobs – including in the service industry and health care – their dexterity is not nearly as impressive.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 1

You just never know where those digits have been...:huh:

;) 

• Like 2

When most people refer to "robots" they mean humanoid appearing robots... The vast majority of robots look nothing like a human and there are many automated (i.e. robotic) production lines that strip insulation, solder, weld, crimp, etc. with precision and "dexterity" few humans can match... When I worked for a Hard Drive manufacturing Company, I was an Assembly line programmer for the "Pick and Place" robots that assembled the circuit boards... That's what I think of when I think of robots...

"Limiting" a machine to the movements that mimic human hand and arm motions starts you out with a major handicap (no pun intended)...

Robots can't shake hands with people because they've got more important things to do... like taking our jobs!

Edited by Hi-NRG Eurobeat Man

This is a vid of a similar system to what I worked on...

Not the sasme make, model or manufacturer, but gives a decent idea of what I'm talking about..

• Like 1