Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is soda bad for your brain?

Claire.

Is soda bad for your brain? (And is diet soda worse?)

Excess sugar -- especially the fructose in sugary drinks -- might damage your brain, new research suggests. Researchers found that people who drink sugary beverages frequently are more likely to have poorer memory, smaller overall brain volume, and a significantly smaller hippocampus. A follow-up study found that people who drank diet soda daily were almost three times as likely to develop stroke and dementia when compared to those who did not.

Read more: Science Daily

• Like 2

sugar, dairy and processed wheats... yuck yuck and yuck. 

Life and health are so much better without them. 

• Like 3

Hang on, didn't we research the other day about the possible benefit of fructose on the brain? I'm taking no chances anyway, I'm sticking to tea, orange juice, beer, lager and whisky/whiskey. 

• Like 3

Hmm It hasn't seemed to effect me at all 

200_s.gif

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I was going to type something clever here but mmmm Pepsi. lol

In S.King's GUNSLINGER series, one of the characters experiences a cold Pepsi for the first time.  He hadn't ever had that amount of sugar or caffeine before and King details what the effects would be on the body for someone not accustomed to it.  It rings true and it also makes you think about how much we just become numb to from what we take in regularly.  He also gets into his longings for a "tooter fish" sandwich. :w00t:  I read that 15 years ago, I think, and to this day I still think "tooter fish" when I bite into a Tuna sandwich... so easily amused.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true, but soda is delicious and if it isn't going to cut my life by more than a few years I'm not giving it up since the only alternative is to only drink water.

• Like 1

Soda is pretty bad for you. So I'm sure it's true

But in the idea of research integrity it is worth pointing out that correlation does not equal causation. People who drink alot of soda probably do alot of other unhealthy habits that goes in to this too

• Like 2

I honestly can't remember the last soda i drank...

But as bad as they are i can't tell you how many people i have preached to,yes "preached too" that artificially sweetened drinks are twice as bad!

Some of the studies are already out there and more are coming...

Diabetics hate me lol,but i tell them for their own good!

Just drop that crap completely!

• Like 2

as big soda drinker and a diabetic who was just in the hospital for a 40 blood sugar my response to this question is  'I don't really care" I will drink diet coke until I pass and then they will go out of business from a lack of sales.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mysticwerewolf said:

as big soda drinker and a diabetic who was just in the hospital for a 40 blood sugar my response to this question is  'I don't really care" I will drink diet coke until I pass and then they will go out of business from a lack of sales.

Sorry to hear that man,and no worries i save my preaching for those i know personally :lol:

I know and i get it diabetics crave sugar almost to the point a crackhead craves a rock (no offense) it's just how it is for some...

Some people are born and through genes diabetes is likely,but now days our conveniant sugar everywhere society is ballooning the problem into a national catostrophe!

• Like 1

sorry I didn't mean to be abrupt, or seem like it but your right we do crave sugar ( you don't know how bad that craving sometimes gets.) it may be bad for us but it helps the craving  and it keeps us away from the sugar that could do us in.

• Like 1