Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

United Airlines in new PR headache

Still Waters

United Airlines is facing another public relation headache after a potentially record-breaking giant rabbit perished onboard one of its transatlantic flights.

The 90cm continental giant rabbit named Simon, which was 10 months old, died while travelling from London Heathrow to O’Hare airport in Chicago, the Sun reported.

Annette Edwards, a breeder from Worcestershire, told the newspaper that Simon was expected to grow to be the world’s biggest rabbit after his father Darius grew to 1.32 metres. She said his buyer was famous.

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/2090862/united-airlines-new-pr-headache-after-giant-rabbit-dies-flight

• Like 3

A giant rabbit hopping onto a flight to O'Hare and dying despite having a full set of lucky feet should inspire better headlines.  Anybody got one?

• Like 4

This seems silly to me.  

The Internet is still reeling from the unexplained death of Simon, a giant rabbit reportedly destined to be the world's largest, after he was flown from London to Chicago on a United Airlines flight.

Simon, a three-foot continental rabbit was reported to be in good health before the journey but died on the way to his new owner int he U.S. The incident has prompted outrage at United Airlines from animal lovers on social media, and renewed the debate surrounding animal air transport safety.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/04/27/united-giant-rabbit-death-sparks-social-media-outrage-prompts-calls-for-change-from-animal-groups.html

• Like 2

The very thought of a possible meeting with the POTUS was too much for the bunny ...

~

Threads Merged.

23 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

This outrage must not stand

Relative of yours? :D

• Like 4

On 4/26/2017 at 9:51 AM, Still Waters said:

The 90cm continental giant rabbit named Simon, which was 10 months old, died while travelling from London Heathrow to O’Hare airport in Chicago, the Sun reported.

Apparently it didn't die in flight.  It died afterwords.  

Kind of silly that certain groups are calling for airlines to keep animals in the cabin for their safety.    Do you really want to smell animal crap while you are traveling.   I think it is usually an issue with the anxiety of the animal being too high and they cannot take it. 

It died afterwards? My guess was that for one it's a gigantic rabbit and probably wasn't destined to live long and for two that perhaps it became frightened to death in flight. When I had a rabbit I remember reading that rabbits can scare themselves to death. She's got something to prove here and I don't think United should automatically assume responsibility or that this is a pr headache for them. Above all that airplanes aren't zoos. I've always felt there was an inherent risk taking animals on commercial flights.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Apparently it didn't die in flight.  It died afterwords.  

This report says -

Simon, who was 3ft long and whose breeder said he could have become the largest rabbit in the world, died on a United flight from London Heathrow to Chicago O’Hare airport. The rabbit, who was brown, had been purchased by someone in the US.

In Simon’s case, the cause of death has yet to be determined. But United issued a statement Thursday saying that Simon was seen moving in his crate 35 minutes after the plane landed and was later found motionless.

“Our customer declined our offer to have an examination conducted to determine a cause of death,” a United spokesperson told the Guardian.“The safety and wellbeing of all the animals that travel with us is of the utmost importance to United Airlines and our PetSafe team,” the spokesperson said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/27/united-airlines-animals-deathes-more-2016-other-carrier

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

This report says -

I guess we are both right in a  way.   It did die while in United care.

The airline told Chicagoist that Simon was actually alive after landing in Chicago “and showed no signs of distress,” but died shortly after being transferred to the airline’s PetSafe kennel facility.

• Like 1

How is 35 minutes after the flight landed still under United's care? Plus she refused a free examination? This lady is just jumping on the blame United bandwagon. 

• Like 1

I heard that it was a famous celebrity who had ordered the rabbit. 

So it was probably a novelty possession and when they heard it died they couldn't care less, hence the no autopsy. 

All speculation of course. 

11 hours ago, F3SS said:

How is 35 minutes after the flight landed still under United's care?

I would imagine the rabbit was still classed as under their care until its new owner took hold of it?

• Like 3

I read that the rabbit was put in a freezer and that is what killed it.  I am trying to find the article again.  If that is the case, gross neglect on United's part.

Found it: 

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4457524/amp/Giant-rabbit-Simon-died-United-staff-FROZE-him.html

So, if this is true, 16 hours in the cold killed the poor bunny.

Edited by glorybebe
Added link
  • Like 2

On 4/29/2017 at 6:50 AM, glorybebe said:

I read that the rabbit was put in a freezer and that is what killed it.  I am trying to find the article again.  If that is the case, gross neglect on United's part.

Found it: 

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4457524/amp/Giant-rabbit-Simon-died-United-staff-FROZE-him.html

So, if this is true, 16 hours in the cold killed the poor bunny.

Who knows what the truth is, United Airlines are denying that claim.

However, United Airlines told The Sun the suggestion Simon had been accidentally frozen was "completely false". A spokesperson said: "Simon was cared for at the PetSafe kennel facility which is kept at room temperature (on average 70°F)."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/united-airlines-denies-staff-accidentally-131819065.html

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

United needs different people at the top, and probably a different board too.  At this point I would neither own their stock nor buy their tickets, and I think a lot of people are like me.  Without a broad-based change in the corporate culture, they will go downhill fast.

I remember a flight desk manager telling me, "it is not our job to get you to Kansas City when you want to get there." Now that may be a true answer but is it a good one or is it likely to cause me to never fly that airline again?

11 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Now they are saying that United cremated the rabbit's remains without consent of the owners.  http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2017/05/08/attorneys-claim-giant-rabbit-possibly-died-freezer-after-united-flight/312724001/

Seems like he was being shipped in to win the Iowa State Fair prize for biggest bunny.

The rush cremation sounded odd to me.  If they had nothing to hide, why would they do that?  Even if they did everything right and did not freeze thd bunch you death, disposing it right away makes them look guilty.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For sure time for a New Makeover at United ! ASAP ! I will never fly them  ! To many screw up`s !

• Like 2

Just now, DONTEATUS said:

For sure time for a New Makeover at United ! ASAP ! I will never fly them  ! To many screw up`s !

it is time for ua to follow pan am.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aztek said:

it is time for ua to follow pan am.

I agree, but instead there will be a merger, a name-change, many promises ... and then more of the same old crap. 

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda bunny, I meen funny O’Hare airport

Edited by The Silver Thong