Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

confederate monument removed with snipers

OverSword

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Yet again, the building in which Hitler was born, still stands. There is no plaque, monument or statue (rightly so in my opinion) that designates it as such.

There is a memorial stone however.

5 minutes ago, Michelle said:

There is a memorial stone however.

I thought that Austrian law forbade it.

Edit: It's a memorial to the victims. Okay, I see.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

In 1989, the new mayor, Gerhard Skiba, took the initiative. In April 1989, (two weeks before the centenary of Hitler's birth) a memorial was placed directly in front of the house on public ground.[3] The stone for the memorial came from a quarry on the grounds of the former Mauthausen Concentration Camp, near Linz, Austria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_birthplace_memorial_stone

Learn something new every day.

6 minutes ago, Michelle said:

In 1989, the new mayor, Gerhard Skiba, took the initiative. In April 1989, (two weeks before the centenary of Hitler's birth) a memorial was placed directly in front of the house on public ground.[3] The stone for the memorial came from a quarry on the grounds of the former Mauthausen Concentration Camp, near Linz, Austria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_birthplace_memorial_stone

Learn something new every day.

"For Peace, Freedom and Democracy. Never Again Fascism. Millions of Dead Remind [us]". is again quite a bit different than, "Adolf Hitler was born here".

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

"For Peace, Freedom and Democracy. Never Again Fascism. Millions of Dead Remind [us]". is again quite a bit different than, "Adolf Hitler was born here".

It is still a place of significance which should be a reminder to all.  

• Like 1

Still, I ask myself, "What did the Crescent City White League do, that deserves commemoration?"

I'm strange in that way. I also hate roadside memorials to crash victims.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Still, I ask myself, "What did the Crescent City White League do, that deserves commemoration?"

I think roadside memorials to crash victims serve the desirable purpose of reminding us that such things are real, not just news items, and can happen to us here and now.  Maybe as a result someone will slow down.

The melody from "Dixie" appears for a few bars in one of my otherwise favorite melodies, "American Patrol." I always cringe when they reach that point.  "Dixie" is a perfectly fine melody, except that to me it reminds me of the evil of slavery, not the country of the southern US.

Memorials to the South of the American Civil War are to me like memorials to the NAZIs, distasteful and bitter.  I hate to think what I would want if one were a great work of art -- fortunately none are but all are mundane and blah.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm not sure. I may research it but not tonight. I'm more concerned about the future removal of the Robert E. Lee monument in Lee Square. It's a national landmark.

There is nothing strange about hating roadside memorials. On a particularly hazardous stretch of road they are a distraction

• Like 2

Not great works of art at all. We have indoor plumbing too.

Stone Mountain

https://www.google.com/search?q=stone+mountain+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiTuZiqkcbTAhXL4yYKHdTZAGgQsAQIIQ&biw=1366&bih=662

The largest bas-relief in the world.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

Just now, Michelle said:

I'm not sure. I may research it but not tonight. I'm more concerned about the future removal of the Robert E. Lee monument in Lee Square. It's a national landmark.

There is nothing strange about hating roadside memorials. On a particularly hazardous stretch of road they are a distraction

Not Lee. Really? From what I've read he was an honorable man, by any standard.

And before anyone reminds me that more Americans died in their Civil War than have died in all their other wars, combined...

Robert E. Lee would have beaten Ulysses S. Grant in any presidential election.

Just not the war.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

And before anyone reminds me that more Americans died in their Civil War than have died in all their other wars, combined...

Just not the war.

It really is getting out of hand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

I think roadside memorials to crash victims serve the desirable purpose of reminding us that such things are real, not just news items, and can happen to us here and now.  Maybe as a result someone will slow down.

Regarding roadside memorials, I remember, as a kid, our family in the mid 70's driving through north-west Montana. There were no speed limits, just reflective white crosses on the corners where people died.

I think they stopped because there become too many.

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Regarding roadside memorials, I remember, as a kid, our family in the mid 70's driving through north-west Montana. There were no speed limits, just reflective white crosses on the corners where people died.

I think they stopped because there become too many.

Well, let's be honest -- if one wants to attract tourists with the beautiful scenery, interspersing the road with reminders of death is counterproductive.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Just not the war.

That's the balanced perspective.

the one that will prevail will be "dirty slave owning racism defender, why should we remember him?"

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

Well, let's be honest -- if one wants to attract tourists with the beautiful scenery, interspersing the road with reminders of death is counterproductive.

The most hairpin corner of road in the southwest of Ireland (over a two hundred foot cliff on the coast) had a tiny dangerous pull out for a shrine to some patron Saint.

Probably the Saint of, "Ohmygod,We'regonnadie!".

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

That's the balanced perspective.

the one that will prevail will be "dirty slave owning racism defender, why should we remember him?"

By any assessment he wasn't a 'bad man'.

I respect hm in the same sense that I respect Rommel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Hate them all you like, but maybe slowing down and thinking while driving is a good thing, eh?

We could all use a reminder once in a while.  ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Hate them all you like, but maybe slowing down and thinking while driving is a good thing, eh?

We could all use a reminder once in a while.  ;)

I drive the limit, at most.

They're largely crass morbid depictions, at best.

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

I drive the limit, at most.

They're largely crass morbid depictions, at best.

Then you are one of the few....

What? A cross is just a cross. Oh wait, Canada, what do they do up there, hang posters? 

1 minute ago, AnchorSteam said:

Then you are one of the few....

What? A cross is just a cross. Oh wait, Canada, what do they do up there, hang posters? 

Black light, as a rule.

.... :blink:

Your kidding, right?

We may have a new Mystery to explore.