Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bermuda Triangle 'methane bubbles' debunked

Still Waters

In recent years, theories have popped up that a rush of methane bubbles from the seafloor could be what's causing ships to sink in the Bermuda Triangle. It might sound plausible at first, but bubble physicist Helen Czerski explains why this theory is completely false. 

http://uk.businessinsider.com/bermuda-triangle-methane-bubble-myth-false-2017-4

• Like 4

So she's just debunking. Not offering any other theories as to what's causing the ships to vanish or sink. We go back to alien involvement?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nonentity said:

So she's just debunking. Not offering any other theories as to what's causing the ships to vanish or sink. We go back to alien involvement?

No we go back to nothing to see here. 

8 minutes ago, seanjo said:

There is no mystery, an area of the World that has more leisure boats than anywhere else, "captained" by enthusiastic amateurs...mystery solved...

There is but no one actually knows. However this area is known for hurricans and fast devloping storms

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, Nonentity said:

She hasn't debunked anything. Hydrates suddenly releasing methane will sink a ship under quite specific conditions. Some losses (particularly in the North Sea) have been attributed to this phenomenon, with one lost ship found within  the crater created by its hydrates suddenly out-gassing. What it comes down to is the position of the ship relative to the methane bubble/s that determines whether or not it will become overwhelmed and sink.

She goes on to make the entirely false statement that ALL ships are built with airtight compartments so they cannot sink... hardly worth commenting on this claim actually.

• Like 2

Of course it's not the methane. Everyone knows it's Bigfoot hiding down there sinking ships with his psychic powers.

• Like 4

Farcical explanations for a farce. 

Literally everybody knows it's the energy vortices created by the sunk Atlantean pyramid at the bottom of the ocean there, with the added possibility of built-in, still functional, left on crystal weaponry. Still waiting for closer investigation, just like in the case of the Baltic Sea Anomaly. Forever waiting...

Edited by Rolci
  • Like 1

What Bermuda triangle?  The thing has been a hoax from day 1.  

Edited by Codenwarra
A more complete answer
  • Like 3

Good old Vincent Gaddis (inventor of the BT theory). Both Lloyds of London and the US Coast guard assert that the rate of lost ships/planes is no higher in that region than any other, by area. In fact, according to the Coast Guard, the disappearance rate is insignificantly small compared to the amount of traffic that region sees. Yet, the myth continues :)

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 2

According to a Nova show, there are more lost planes over the continental US than over the area called the Bermuda triangle. More are lost over land than over water.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2017 at 10:48 AM, keithisco said:

She hasn't debunked anything. Hydrates suddenly releasing methane will sink a ship under quite specific conditions. Some losses (particularly in the North Sea) have been attributed to this phenomenon, with one lost ship found within  the crater created by its hydrates suddenly out-gassing. What it comes down to is the position of the ship relative to the methane bubble/s that determines whether or not it will become overwhelmed and sink.

She goes on to make the entirely false statement that ALL ships are built with airtight compartments so they cannot sink... hardly worth commenting on this claim actually.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3226787/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/could-methane-bubbles-sink-ships/

I found the above link which supports your statements. What I think is telling though is that

No one has ever seen such an eruption, and no one knows how large the bubbles coming off a methane deposit would be.

The fact that a ship sank near a hydrate crater simply means it sank near a hydrate crater. Planes have crashed into volcanoes. That does not mean the volcano caused the crash.

The fact that no one seems to see these events unless it sinks their ship makes it seem unlikely to me.

• Like 1

I agree with you about the hydrate crater-there is no evidence to suggest a synchronous event.

Hydrate bubble release has been filmed (small scale) by the Nautilus and Alvin remote operated submersibles, and research has been performed to see if the theory holds water (pun intended) by various institutes and even the BBC...

Still no one has observed such an event. The people in the video are simulating an event that might not exist.

We do know that bubbles can form at depth. I would think that if a sinking requires a near hit there would be sightings of such events over a long period of time. The gas is flammable. Yet no tales of lanterns setting off explosions in the air or people being smothered by releases of gas. You would think that gas bubbles rising such as this might also lead to death of wildlife.  It seems to me that anything this big that has supposedly happened would leave behind something to show it happened.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Still no one has observed such an event. The people in the video are simulating an event that might not exist.

We do know that bubbles can form at depth. I would think that if a sinking requires a near hit there would be sightings of such events over a long period of time. The gas is flammable. Yet no tales of lanterns setting off explosions in the air or people being smothered by releases of gas. You would think that gas bubbles rising such as this might also lead to death of wildlife.  It seems to me that anything this big that has supposedly happened would leave behind something to show it happened.

True, and even if everything lined up perfectly and that one-in-a-billion chance event happened AND it was enough to capsize a boat, it still wouldn't be enough to account for very many disappearances. Having spent a considerable amount of time on the ocean in my life, I can confidently say that, with all the things that can go wrong on open water, you don't need anything supernatural to explain being lost at sea (aliens aren't required either).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Calibeliever said:

True, and even if everything lined up perfectly and that one-in-a-billion chance event happened AND it was enough to capsize a boat, it still wouldn't be enough to account for very many disappearances. Having spent a considerable amount of time on the ocean in my life, I can confidently say that, with all the things that can go wrong on open water, you don't need anything supernatural to explain being lost at sea (aliens aren't required either).

I was watching the video and thinking if this were actually methane being pumped into the shallow water let's hope it doesn't catch fire and produce a large fuel air explosion.

• Like 1