Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cultural Christian but Apatheist

Carnoferox

Are there any others out there who were raised Christian, but have since become indifferent to religion and non-religion alike? I would like to hear any of your thoughts on the matter.

Edited by Carnivorfox
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Carnivorfox said:

Are there any others out there who were raised Christian, but have since become indifferent to religion and non-religion alike? I would like to hear any of your thoughts on the matter.

Can you clarify, please?  Are you saying you grew up in a church attending family but went your own way later?  Or did you ask for Christ to be your Lord and later change your mind?  Or did you believe at some point but now have doubts?  No judgment here, I'm just curious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carnivorfox said:

Define  apatheist .

is it  an individual that  has no interest in the topic of God?

eta

Cultural Christians are individuals who identify themselves with Christian culture while not being observant followers of Christianity. This kind of identification may be due to various factors, such as family background, personal experiences, and the social and cultural environment in which they grew up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Christian

Edited by Ellapennella

1 hour ago, and then said:

Can you clarify, please?  Are you saying you grew up in a church attending family but went your own way later?  Or did you ask for Christ to be your Lord and later change your mind?  Or did you believe at some point but now have doubts?  No judgment here, I'm just curious.

I was raised in a church-going, non-denominational Protestant family. I was once a believer, but have since really stopped caring about belief in God.

56 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

Define  apatheist .

is it  an individual that  has no interest in the topic of God?

eta

Cultural Christians are individuals who identify themselves with Christian culture while not being observant followers of Christianity. This kind of identification may be due to various factors, such as family background, personal experiences, and the social and cultural environment in which they grew up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Christian

I would personally define apatheism as not really caring if a higher power existed or not. If God was proven or disproven, it would have little to no effect on my life. I don't want to discuss whether or not God exists, but I was just wondering if there were others who thought the same way.

Edited by Carnivorfox
  • Like 4

I would say that yes Christianity was a large part of my early life, more indirect though. My grandmother (who's seems to be immortal) was a harsh and very strict Christian d-bag. One of my aunts was a Jesus freak, and the rest seemed to have this spiritual aspect of their lives, I was the blasphemy among them. Magick was considered a grave sin against god and I became an occultist because of it. I did try out Christianity when my wife and I were dating, got baptised and all that. We had a falling out with the church elders and the fact that we loved the Harry Potter movies/books (which actually got us kicked out of the church). My wife went straight into atheism after that and I was more of an agnostic occultist for several year. Then about 2012 my life went through a dark phase and I gave up believing in any god/s/ess's, spirits, angels, even demons. I just said screw it. Became a bit of an iconoclast and fell into Apatheism. Because I really don't care if god exist or not and religion is a sham. 

• Like 5

I was raised in a church-going, non-denominational Protestant family. I was once a believer, but have since really stopped caring about belief in God.

I would personally define apatheism as not really caring if a higher power existed or not. If God was proven or disproven, it would have little to no effect on my life. I don't want to discuss whether or not God exists, but I was just wondering if there were others who thought the same way.

I was raised catholic and rebelled and exited early.   I have a an interest in comparative religion as I see it is a large part of the collective human experience and part of my studies and experience in cultural anthropology. 

Personally, I suppose one could say I am  apathetic about it ....   more ;   if 'God'  exists or not  that has little effect on my life . What does have effect on me and my life , is how I manage it .  So I am more interested in that . . . . .    and the  dynamics of the psyche  .

So I suppose I , personally  do not care about my belief in God or not.     But I do feel I have the 'God Dynamic'  nutted out . 

• Like 4

Indifference to religion does not necesserely make one apathetic towards the idea of 'God'.

The question is whether you are interested in finding out more about the deeper layers of reality, metaphysics, the fundamental nature of the Universe, creation and creator(s) ect. You don't need religion to be interested in those great mysteries.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Carnivorfox said:

Actually if the existence of gods was proven it WOULD have a significant impact on your life, in the same way as if it was proven that any aliens had been visiting earth  for some time.  We have a choice whether to believe or not, but we cannot logically or rationally reject the consequences of knowledge. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Indifference to religion does not necesserely make one apathetic towards the idea of 'God'.

The question is whether you are interested in finding out more about the deeper layers of reality, metaphysics, the fundamental nature of the Universe, creation and creator(s) ect. You don't need religion to be interested in those great mysteries.

My view is that the great mysteries are better tackled scientifically, and if no scientific approach is available, then left alone as unanswerable.  Otherwise one just ends up with a variety of fantasies, some of them unhealthy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Actually if the existence of gods was proven it WOULD have a significant impact on your life, in the same way as if it was proven that any aliens had been visiting earth  for some time.  We have a choice whether to believe or not, but we cannot logically or rationally reject the consequences of knowledge. 

Maybe for you it would, but it wouldn't for me personally. It wouldn't affect my lifestyle and it wouldn't change my view of the world.

Edited by Carnivorfox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

Seems to me religion becomes a stumbling block along the way. Always ready

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carnivorfox said:

If God was proven or disproven, it would have little to no effect on my life. I don't want to discuss whether or not God exists, but I was just wondering if there were others who thought the same way

It is not really a case of god being disproven...as a god has not been proven and i do not believe one will ever be, as a god is a man made idea from the days well before what he now knows about our evolution on this planet, how our sun and moon work and  when man looked up at the skies back then...they believed something was out there which created our planet and man...well something did, but it was certainly IMO not a god.

i am a staunch non believer in a god...but i can tell you for sure, if a god was proven, it would have a dramatic impact on my life, my whole mindset would have to change.

3 hours ago, Carnivorfox said:

Maybe for you it would, but it wouldn't for me personally. It wouldn't affect my lifestyle and it wouldn't change my view of the world.

So if a powerful race of aliens landed on earth, this would not affect either your knowledge or understanding OR affect your life.? I very much doubt this It would affect everything from the economy to the political system to the latest memes on the internet. Think indigenous peoples when advanced european races arrived It would be impossible for anyone's lifestyle to remain the same,. Jobs would be lost/created  investments lost/ created,  wars ended /begun  Heck, think of the tourism opportunities.

I guess that is why a powerful race of aliens never lands here .  Just lone aliens that visit and do favors for the 'special people' . 

6 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

So if a powerful race of aliens landed on earth, this would not affect either your knowledge or understanding OR affect your life.? I very much doubt this It would affect everything from the economy to the political system to the latest memes on the internet. Think indigenous peoples when advanced european races arrived It would be impossible for anyone's lifestyle to remain the same,. Jobs would be lost/created  investments lost/ created,  wars ended /begun  Heck, think of the tourism opportunities.

I think you've misunderstood here. An alien race landing on earth is not the same as discovering the existence of a deity. God has little to no impact on my life already, so merely discovering his/her/its existence or non-existence wouldn't change a thing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carnivorfox said:

I think you've misunderstood here. An alien race landing on earth is not the same as discovering the existence of a deity. God has little to no impact on my life already, so merely discovering his/her/its existence or non-existence wouldn't change a thing.

NO i didnt misunderstand.  i gave a clear example  of one way in which we could KNOW if gods existed eg they visited us. What is god but an alien entity after all?

. Either event, occurring in reality, would have huge impacts on your life  And a god would not even have to land on earth. We might discover it in other ways via new scientific technologies or physical messages verified by science  Now in reality you would not be able to continue your life as normal, knowing gods actually existed  it would make a similar difference to your life a s knowing that the earth is  an oblate spheroid and not flat  Ie it would change what you knew was possible even if you never moved a mile from your home 

On 4/27/2017 at 4:42 PM, Carnivorfox said:

I am most assuredly an apatheist. I just don't care anymore about the subject. It just has no place in my life.

• Like 3

Oh look, another thread turns into Mr Walker is always right and everyone else is wrong...

• Like 2

On 4/27/2017 at 3:22 PM, Carnivorfox said:

I was raised as a fundamentalist Christian and spent a part of my adult life trying to live the walk. Through a series of events I became disillusioned and if im completely honest, informed so I walked away. I have since incorporated some buddhist principles in my life but am definitely not a "practicing buddhist" in a religious sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I am most assuredly an apatheist. I just don't care anymore about the subject. It just has no place in my life.

I often wonder why I even bother post in half of the places I do on UM. (Good to see you back:tu:)

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Oh look, another thread turns into Mr Walker is always right and everyone else is wrong...

Saint Walker is here to correct all us sinners once again. Who want's to bet that this'll be a walker thread by page 3?

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

NO i didnt misunderstand.  i gave a clear example  of one way in which we could KNOW if gods existed eg they visited us. What is god but an alien entity after all?

. Either event, occurring in reality, would have huge impacts on your life  And a god would not even have to land on earth. We might discover it in other ways via new scientific technologies or physical messages verified by science  Now in reality you would not be able to continue your life as normal, knowing gods actually existed  it would make a similar difference to your life a s knowing that the earth is  an oblate spheroid and not flat  Ie it would change what you knew was possible even if you never moved a mile from your home 

For it to have an effect on me I would have to care in the first place. The whole point here is that I don't care.

Edited by Carnivorfox

For it to have an effect on me I would have to care in the first place. The whole point here is that I don't care.

lol I understand you think this way, but when the currency collapsed, or there were riots in your home town, you would be forced to care. It might be something as minor as your favourite sports show being canceled as news was broadcast constantly, and world wide. This is the difference between reality and belief. With belief we have choices, because beliefs only exist in our mind .With reality  we are forced to accommodate that reality  because it is physical and impinges on us in physical ways. If we refuse to accept or accommodate a factual reality, we can only do so by becoming delusional.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

OK so argue me, logically, how anyone could be uncaring or unaffected by the discovery of a genuine alien race with interests  on earth .

Then explain why it would /could be any different, if we discovered a  genuine  physically existent race or being so advanced that humans considered it god.

Think about the experience of ALL indigenous peoples, when first contact  with europeans occurred, and ask yourself why we would be any different . Whole sections of the economy and social order would collapse, as the premises the y are based on were undercut. New technologies, medicine, and beliefs would radically and dramatically change all elements of society. 

Lets suppose a race turned up and said,  " Just pop into our mobile clinic for 10 minutes, and we will not only cure every illness disability etc,  you have, but also give you an extra 1000 years of life.  All you have to do is swear allegiance to the xian hegemony  above all other conglomerates, and seal the bargain with a drop pf blood to be used for dna identification, and as a guarantee  you keep your agreement. Plus we will aso throw in, at no extra cost to you, a replicator which will create any item you desire, from raw materials and energy" :) 

You really think anyone would be able to remain uncaring, or unaffected, by such a reality?  

If you think i am wrong, explain how and why, and i will consider your response.

PROOF of a (or any) god's existence would irrevocably change humans for ever, just as first contact changed indigenous peoples for ever.  No one would be exempt from the effects. Because the concpet of god is so antagonistic to many it is easier for some to think about this( and explore the possible consequences)  by using the example of a powerful advanced alien race and the effects knowledge of this/contact with them, would have on humanity.

Edited by Mr Walker

5 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

OK so argue me, logically, how anyone could be uncaring or unaffected by the discovery of a genuine alien race with interests  on earth .

Then explain why it would /could be any different, if we discovered a  genuine  physically existent race or being so advanced that humans considered it god.

Think about the experience of ALL indigenous peoples, when first contact  with europeans occurred, and ask yourself why we would be any different . Whole sections of the economy and social order would collapse, as the premises the y are based on were undercut. New technologies, medicine, and beliefs would radically and dramatically change all elements of society. 

Lets suppose a race turned up and said,  " Just pop into our mobile clinic for 10 minutes, and we will not only cure every illness disability etc,  you have, but also give you an extra 1000 years of life.  All you have to do is swear allegiance to the xian hegemony  above all other conglomerates, and seal the bargain with a drop pf blood to be used for dna identification, and as a guarantee  you keep your agreement. Plus we will aso throw in, at no extra cost to you, a replicator which will create any item you desire, from raw materials and energy" :) 

You really think anyone would be able to remain uncaring, or unaffected, by such a reality?  

If you think i am wrong, explain how and why, and i will consider your response.

PROOF of a (or any) god's existence would irrevocably change humans for ever, just as first contact changed indigenous peoples for ever.  No one would be exempt from the effects. Because the concpet of god is so antagonistic to many it is easier for some to think about this( and explore the possible consequences)  by using the example of a powerful advanced alien race and the effects knowledge of this/contact with them, would have on humanity.

I will NEVER engare you in conversation beyond this post because you simply steamroll over everything and everyone and insist that you are correct and that your way of thinking is correct.

No, sport, I'll sit this one out. 

• Like 3