Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why don't people return their shopping carts?

Claire.

Since my last post on this thread, I have come put of work to find a lovely scratch in my paint by someone either intentionally hitting my car or leaving it to run wild in the lot and taking refuge on my bumper.  That is the second one in a year and it p***es me off to no end that these asses have no care about anyone but themselves.  Self-centered lazy people really need a lesson on manners.

• Like 2

Make your kids fully return them. Let them keep the quarter, or whatever.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 2

Here we have to put a dollar in to get a cart. However when the weather is really bad, like minus 25 with wind and snow. Screw the dollar and leave the cart.

I think the real reason is that by returning the cart you are exercising, most people don't like to exercise. I mean it's a little extra walking and all. They lose strength in their couch potato muscles if they do.:lol:

• Like 5

The area i live not only do some not return them but you can come across one whats just upside in the street.

• Like 1

a walmart store i shop at used to let people enter a contest to win a walmart card worth, i think, $25 or $50 when they returned a cart to the store.  i don't know why it was stopped.

• Like 1

We need a few  extra carts left out for the shopping cart people to use.  This country would be knee deep in cans and bottles without the vigilant service of the shopping cart people. You can only carry so many in garbage bags.

I usually return mine. That said, sometimes I'm just really tired, and I'm just trying to get through yet another errand. And I see the guy in the lot gathering up the carts. Certainly, wouldn't do it on a stormy day so the thing would ram into someone's car. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I usually return mine. That said, sometimes I'm just really tired, and I'm just trying to get through yet another errand. And I see the guy in the lot gathering up the carts. Certainly, wouldn't do it on a stormy day so the thing would ram into someone's car. 

You're a brave woman, to roll a chunk of metal across a parking lot during a storm.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 3:28 AM, XenoFish said:

I think the real reason is that by returning the cart you are exercising, most people don't like to exercise. I mean it's a little extra walking and all. They lose strength in their couch potato muscles if they do.:lol:

Hey, this is me too, I return carts-- any reason to clock my Fitbit steps, any way to exercise, I look for it.. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

I work for Giant (East Coast supermarket; I'm a bagger) and I even put it back where it belongs. Sometimes one of my co-workers will be out there and come to get my cart. Don't wanna be a jerk and I hate it when people leave their carts where ever.

The people who leave cold items in non-cold places are the reason why food prices are going up. (: Stores gotta make up the cost of spoiled cold items. Also when people don't want their deli items anymore is a complete and total waste of the workers time! I mean you wanted that deli and now you don't want it? WASTE OF THEIR TIME! 

Short: Don't be a jerk or I will make your ears bleed.

Edited by Princess Serenity
  • Like 1

On April 28, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Goodf3llow said:

First world problem..

Unless you are from a third world country, you're punching down.

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/27/2017 at 0:23 PM, Claire. said:

Why Don't People Return Their Shopping Carts? Where does this disregard come from?

Like most habits, it comes from early childhood conditioning when a kid is taught that others will pick up after them or that they are NOT responsible for something once they've used it.   I had a young friend who was carelessly damaging some other kid's toy and when I asked him why, he smugly said, "It ain't mine!"   He was programmed, by his parents or someone, to have absolutely no regard for anything that does not personally belong to him!   My parents had conditioned me to consider others and their stuff so that kid's selfish/careless attitude amazed me and it still does.   

On 4/29/2017 at 9:29 AM, Noxasa said:

I absolutely disagree with most people on this tread.  Now, leaving a cart to take up parking spots is another matter, that's just rude to other people that have nothing to do with the store's business.  If I decide not to return a cart to the storefront I will typically secure them to a nearby island in the parking lot if available.  I would not leave a cart somewhere that would allow it to freely travel after I leave it, like on a hill or something.  Other than that, I have no issue leaving a cart to be collected by employees of the store that I patronized.  It's the cost of doing, and attracting my, business.

I pretty much agree with you that being considerate of others and responsible for how and where I leave a cart matters to my set of values.  I was raised to be considerate of others and that early conditioning applies to shopping carts as well as table manners and common respect.  It's all about your upbringing!

On 5/4/2017 at 5:51 PM, No Solid Ground said:

In a radically capitalist consumer culture, people are implicitly trained from childhood to not do anything that doesn't directly benefit themselves. Culturally conditioned selfishness, alienation from community, and a lack of social responsibility.  

Yep, it comes down to good or bad PARENTING!  My parents taught me to be considerate of others!  And their parents taught them to be considerate of others, etc, etc.  It's a hand-me-down game.  Lazy parents produce lazy kids, careless parents produce careless kids, selfish parents produce selfish kids and on and on.......... Parents how are careless with shopping carts are definitely teaching their kids to be careless with shopping carts....... where will it end????

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 6:10 PM, No Solid Ground said:

Not where I live. The grocery store I shop at has a team of two people who patrol the parking lot all day retrieving carts. I recently sat outside the busy store eating lunch for an hour and watched to see if anyone returned the cart or took them to the cart storage areas in the parking lot. During that hour only one man did.  

LOL, one man who must have had adequate parents/parenting!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 2:52 AM, Claire. said:

Follow-Up: The Reasons People Don't Return Their Shopping Carts

It looks like the shopping cart question hit a nerve.

It seemed like a simple question: Why don't people return their shopping carts? It turned into a full discussion in many corners of the web. Shopping carts are pervasive, and it turns out we have a relatively nuanced relationship with them. Many of the responses fell in line with the original categories but revealed complicated assessments of morality, civility, and economics. Many people believed that returning a cart to a corral when it was present (to be clear, the article was never about returning to a store) was reflective of their behavior in other situations.

Read more: Scientific American

I have only seen one person allude to childhood conditioning or training which might come close to what I experienced as a child with adequate and inadequate parental training and programing which taught me to be considerate of others and their stuff.  I am not perfect at it but I do think of how I'd want someone to consider me and my car when they carelessly walk away from their shopping cart while leaving it in a harmful or inconvenient place.   "Do unto others...."  was our basic childhood conditioning!  I know that most cultures avoid looking at parents and parenting with any kind of honesty or discernment but (good or bad) parenting is the bottom line in most social behaviors - in my opinion and experience.

On 5/20/2017 at 7:58 PM, tcgram said:

I always take the carts back and will yell at my kids if they try to leave them just anywhere in the lot.   I was raised that it's common courtesy to return carts to the corral.   I even did so when I had my hip surgery and had to walk with a cane.  

I solute your healthy, sensible parenting and also the parents who raised you.  The issue of parenting has only come up once since I started reading this thread and yet, good (or bad) parenting is at the heart of this entire issue, in my opinion.  With any luck, your kids will carry on your good habits and those of your parents into the next generation

• Like 2

On 5/20/2017 at 10:44 PM, WoIverine said:

Make your kids fully return them. Let them keep the quarter, or whatever.

Yes, it starts with responsible parenting!

• Like 2