Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bird nests used to look more like fortresses

Claire.

Bird Nests Used to Look More Like Fortresses

Which came first, the cup or the dome? Unlike the old chicken-versus-egg conundrum, this question appears to have an answer. A new study suggests that the familiar open-cup style—built by nearly three fourths of today's passerines, or perching birds—is a modification of roofed spherical structures that just a handful of species now make.

Read more: Scientific American

• Like 2

It seems as though the roofed nest would be the way to go. What I derived from the article is that most birds today are just a bunch of lazy slackers!

• Like 1

My little Diamond Doves in my avairy should read this they built a nest with about 4 bits of coconut fibre,I took the eggs out built them a proper nest put the eggs back now there sitting tight how lazy are they

• Like 1

'Lazy' is not a word I would use to describe most birds. There is a science to nest building that's influenced by location, climate, availability of materials and other factors. All nests are based on the requirements of a particular species. Some nests are simple, others more elaborate and intricate. Experience is also a factor. Some birds continually refine their structures as their nest building skills improve. And some birds don't bother with nests at all.

In the case of domed nests, I can understand the need if nests are closer to (or on) the ground where the risk of predators is greater, but they would be a hindrance to larger birds such as eagles, for example. So again, it's not a matter of laziness, but one of practicality and necessity.

Here's an interesting article showcasing some amazing bird nests from around the world: The one made from mud and manure is just too cute.

• Like 1

If I was a bird, I'd want to be a Purple Martin and live in a gourd. Talk about wind and weather proof.

• Like 1