Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Addicted to love?

Claire.

Addicted to love? Craving comes in two forms, and both can hurt.

You can’t eat, you can’t sleep and all you can think about is your next fix. You may be addicted to love.

Intense romance can often come with symptoms resembling addiction – euphoria, craving, dependence, withdrawal and relapse – and brain scans have shown that it can be linked to drug-addiction-like activity in the brain’s reward centres.

Read more: New Scientist

• Like 5

I didn't need a scientific study to tell me that. :D

Good article

• Like 4

Very rigid, defined categories in that article...although it is just one study.  Those addictive feelings are also possible with crushes and unrequited love, i.e. not in a relationship with the loved one.

I used to be addicted to love, i.e. getting a 'hit'/high when I saw the person.  I remember cycling out of my way (on my route to work) in order to just get a glimpse of the person (knowing where they were).  I even wrote a whole diary of poems to the loved one...I was quite obsessed (secretly so though) but it was infatuation.  I ditched the poem diary!

• Like 5

I contend anything that has an affect can be related to in an addictive manner.

Our notions of drugs needs to be radically expanded...

the addiction of emotional interplay with television, radio and internet forums for example...

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, sees said:

Very rigid, defined categories in that article...although it is just one study.  Those addictive feelings are also possible with crushes and unrequited love, i.e. not in a relationship with the loved one.

I used to be addicted to love, i.e. getting a 'hit'/high when I saw the person.  I remember cycling out of my way (on my route to work) in order to just get a glimpse of the person (knowing where they were).  I even wrote a whole diary of poems to the loved one...I was quite obsessed (secretly so though) but it was infatuation.  I ditched the poem diary!

Either very sweet or extra creepy.  Was the poetry good?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sees said:

That's stalker level creepy.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Either very sweet or extra creepy.  Was the poetry good?

I wasn't a stalker so yes, very sweet actually.  As for the poetry - it was free verse and very, VERY romantic....so appraising it depends on your tastes e.g. whether you would relate to that feeling.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's stalker level creepy.

Condemning and judging on one detail, huh?  How little you know because I wasn't a stalker i.e. I didn't follow the person or ever once harrass or persecute them - that manipulative feeling was a million miles from where I was at!  The person never even knew how I felt!! 

It was my magical secret and felt incredible! color.gif

Ha...trust you to pick out the negative...jeez!  I expected nothing less.  780422031.gif

(I should have known better than to open out here...hmm...lesson learnt).

Edited by sees
  • Like 3

I have several deep abiding relationships with people, animals and some places that are not aware of the depth of their influence on me... well perhaps some of the animals and trees may... hard to say, since there's no way for me to project how they process...

nonetheless.  I get you sees, there is nothing creepy in your sentiments (once you clarified).  In fact, the loving nature of your very sentimental sentiments I would wish those would become more like sediment in the foundations of more people's awareness... were I to be inclined towards wishing... (oh wait, I am... hmm)  :D

• Like 5

and come to think of it... it's probably good that some folks aren't aware of the depth of their influence on others...

that's a mighty figurative pen which can be wielded like a sword, if you're aware of how to do it...

edit to add:  an example of those who seem to be very aware of this influence and use it selfishly and poorly in my opinion are televangelists and figure heads of entertainment/media/politics.  Have any of you been to a political rally?  When approached neutrally, one can observe many similar responses in the crowd mentality of rock concerts and the more fervent religious ceremonies (not the brain numbing sunday varieties, but the rolling and dancing and screaming type).

Edited by quiXilver
add a thought
  • Like 2

I used to be addicted , but I wised up then realized it's only an instinct you fell for that's not necessary to have. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sees said:

Condemning and judging on one detail, huh?  How little you know because I wasn't a stalker i.e. I didn't follow the person or ever once harrass or persecute them - that manipulative feeling was a million miles from where I was at!  The person never even knew how I felt!! 

It was my magical secret and felt incredible! color.gif

Ha...trust you to pick out the negative...jeez!  I expected nothing less.  780422031.gif

(I should have known better than to open out here...hmm...lesson learnt).

When it looks like obsession, it must be obsession. 

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

When it looks like obsession, it must be obsession. 

Yes and obsession is not necessarily stalking!  Perhaps you should look up what stalking entails....quite nasty and a million miles from the beautiful, gentle and secret feeling I had.

• Like 2

Reminds me so much of a guy I was friends with, he'd meet a pretty girl and become obsessed with her it was creepy at times.  

• Like 3

It's not unusual for people to occasionally go a little out of their way to see someone they like. Stalking is more involved than that. Much more. Others do the opposite and avoid the object of their affection entirely. Everyone's different.

I've never experienced the type of crazed euphoric emotions outlined in the article, nor do I know what obsession feels like, so I have no real understanding of any of it. But I do know that compassion and understanding accomplish a great deal more than judgement does.

I'm also not fully convinced that certain kinds of 'love' or attraction are indeed addictions, and would like to see more studies done as i believe certain emotions and consequent behaviors are influenced not just by a chemical reaction in the brain, but by a combination of factors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

That's what the stalker thinks too.

What you are missing is that I did not contact the person I loved at all with how I felt...clue in the word 'secret'

I just occasionally cycled past  where the loved one worked just to catch a brief glimpse and get a 'lift'/high from it....romantic and not remotely sinister.

I didn't think that needed spelling out but clearly, in your case, it does!  Others here understand and have 'liked' my posts for that I am grateful!

Edited by sees
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, sees said:

I remember feeling like that.   A very, very, long time ago.   I still dream about her to this day ....

But I guess I got over my addiction, cos I never fell in love again

• Like 2

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I always feel like somebody's watching.

I'm just an average man, with an average life.  I work from nine to five; hey hell, I pay the price.  All I want is to be left alone in my average home.  But why do I always feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Essan said:

I remember feeling like that.   A very, very, long time ago.   I still dream about her to this day ....

But I guess I got over my addiction, cos I never fell in love again

Oh that's sad....I would have thought that getting over it = able to fall in love again, no?  That you still dream of her suggests that there isn't 'closure'.  I do understand though that special feeling.

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I always feel like somebody's watching.

Secret admirer?  :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, sees said:

Oh that's sad....I would have thought that getting over it = able to fall in love again, no?  That you still dream of her suggests that there isn't 'closure'.  I do understand though that special feeling.

I never fell out of love (and I guess I'm one of those people who can only love one person at a time ...) , but I got over the "addiction" bit :  I've not been past her house in over 20 years .....  :D

(Yeah, I am a bit sad, but, hey, that's how life turns out sometimes.  She's happy and that's what matters)

Edited by Essan
  • Like 2