Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drug addicts are stealing cattle

Claire.

On 4/30/2017 at 5:21 PM, aka CAT said:

Good evening.

May your back soon mend.  I'm curious as to whether or not any therapeutic exercises were recommended for you to speed your recovery or whether you’ve the benefit of a good chiropractor, but you, too, are more than welcome to PM me anytime-- thanks for the invitation, as there is so much for us to discuss.

Wondering how commonplace are covered arenas up North, I didn’t want to presume you had ready access to one.  Neither would I want to ride in temperatures below 40 degrees, while horses that are acclimated to cold weather are fairly comfortable when it’s above freezing.  If not, a sheltered windbreak and plenty of dry grass go a long way to keep the ‘hay burners’ warm during the most frigid of wintry spells. 

Anyway, much as I wish you were happily back in the saddle, grooming horses can be mutually therapeutic, physically for them and mentally for us, and don’t you just love hugging them? In regard grooming, as lack of such applies to wild horses, I saw what happened when a neighbor neglected the tail of stallion.  Not long after the steed predictably developed a tangle at the base of his tail bone, the hair was somehow pulled off to where he was left with what resembled a giant rat’s tail.  Do you reckon wild mustangs need periodically get caught in torrential downpours or swim to maintain their ‘fly swatters,’ i.e. their long manes and tails?

Goodness, I’ve nearly proven that I can also talk to no end about horses.  Nevertheless, I did want to herein state the fact that my mention of ‘Mr. Perfect’ was figurative for such is not the name of the one stallion that, as far as I’m concerned, couldn’t be more genetically ideal for the previously mentioned mare; she, a quarter horse, has produced two foals by him.  While all of our adult horses are affectionate, intelligent and athletic, uniquely competitive, the eldest of our full siblings couldn’t be more all-around sound; he is very hardy, strong and fast.  

How fast?  As he is only progressively getting faster and faster, that is yet to be proven.  Even so, it is how fast he has already proven that is funniest about ‘Mr. Perfect,’ since my gelding has beaten horses by stallions whose stud fees were twelve to thirty-five times more expensive.  So, contrary to some people’s presumptions about me, I am still far more frugal than actually wealthy.

Gotta feed my hungry cowboy before I get to respond to others’ replies.

0:-) MGby.

Hi, akaCAT,

Thanks for your kind wishes, and yes I am in pain management currently, and doing a little better. You mentioned grooming as therapy, and that's exactly what I've been doing. He loves it as well, since he basically gets a massage along with extra treats, and is one of the cleanest horses ever. And yes, the hugs are great,too.

As to how common indoor arenas are here - they are very common for boarding stables here, necessary actually, but not so common with private farms. Some people here board their horses during winter so they can continue riding, then take them home for spring and summer. Luckily my boarding stable has an arena, but it's still too cold in winter for me most days.

I have often wondered myself how wild horses maintain a healthy condition, and I really don't have an answer. I would think excessive rain would contribute to coat problems, lack of farrier care to hoof problems, etc., and I really don't understand how they remain so healthy. I guess they're just a tougher animal than the domestic and sometimes overly bred horses most people are used to.

When you mentioned " Mr.Perfect" as the stud you chose for your mare I was fairly certain that I had heard that name before, and that he was a Quarter Horse. Then you said the name was used figuratively, as in finding "Mr.Right" for your mares. I thought I was going crazy, lol, because of my certainty of hearing that name before, so I looked into it to save my sanity. Yes, there is an actual "Mr.Perfect" Quarter Horse stud. I'm not sure how perfect he really is,since I didn't see a picture of him, but his pedigree was shown. That's definitely your area as I don't know much,if anything really, about QH bloodlines. At least my sanity was saved, lol. 

I'm so glad you have been successful with your foals. That's great to hear. You say they are fast? Do you race them, run barrels or use them for roping? I always liked to watch the reining part of shows. Those moves!

Did you watch Nat Geo last night? About the cattle rustling? I did, and even though the segment was only about 15 min. Long, it was still very interesting. One lady estimated her total losses at over $150,000.00. Unbelievable. I was floored. It's a far more serious crime than I initially thought.

Well, it's time to go do some grooming and get some hugs! Have a great day and ttyl. Bye

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Future ghost said:

I have often wondered myself how wild horses maintain a healthy condition, and I really don't have an answer. I would think excessive rain would contribute to coat problems, lack of farrier care to hoof problems, etc., and I really don't understand how they remain so healthy. I guess they're just a tougher animal than the domestic and sometimes overly bred horses most people are used to.

They are doing projects to make wild horses live alone in European parks. They use traditional hardy breeds which are often left to manage on their own for a good part of the year. Among which they count Exmoor pony and the Pottok horse. I would guess for feral horses, like Mustangs, natural selection just get rid of the too fancy genes and favor the hardy ones. Let it go for a few centuries and they will be quite fit to withstand the outdoor lifestyle.

For more info:
https://www.rewildingeurope.com/wp-content/uploads/publications/rewilding-horses-in-europe/index.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gingitsune said:

They are doing projects to make wild horses live alone in European parks. They use traditional hardy breeds which are often left to manage on their own for a good part of the year. Among which they count Exmoor pony and the Pottok horse. I would guess for feral horses, like Mustangs, natural selection just get rid of the too fancy genes and favor the hardy ones. Let it go for a few centuries and they will be quite fit to withstand the outdoor lifestyle.

For more info:
https://www.rewildingeurope.com/wp-content/uploads/publications/rewilding-horses-in-europe/index.html

Wow, thanks Gingitsune, extremely informative! Mans interference into the natural breeding selection of animals has often resulted in weaker animals, and this confirms it. Someone needs to send this info to the B.L.M. here in the States so they'll realize how good wild horses can be for the environment, instead of rounding them up and disposing of them as fast as they can. Thanks again!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Someone needs to send this info to the B.L.M. here in the States so they'll realize how good wild horses can be for the environment, instead of rounding them up and disposing of them as fast as they can. Thanks again!

i'm pretty sure doing good for horses is not on their agenda at all.   quite the  opposite actually.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Future ghost said:

Wow, thanks Gingitsune, extremely informative! Mans interference into the natural breeding selection of animals has often resulted in weaker animals, and this confirms it. Someone needs to send this info to the B.L.M. here in the States so they'll realize how good wild horses can be for the environment, instead of rounding them up and disposing of them as fast as they can. Thanks again!

Why would black people care about... oh, wait, you mean the Bureau of Land Management. Too many damn TLI's. :D Never mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Future ghost said:

Hi, akaCAT,

Thanks for your kind wishes, and yes I am in pain management currently, and doing a little better. You mentioned grooming as therapy, and that's exactly what I've been doing. He loves it as well, since he basically gets a massage along with extra treats, and is one of the cleanest horses ever. And yes, the hugs are great,too.

As to how common indoor arenas are here - they are very common for boarding stables here, necessary actually, but not so common with private farms. Some people here board their horses during winter so they can continue riding, then take them home for spring and summer. Luckily my boarding stable has an arena, but it's still too cold in winter for me most days.

When you mentioned " Mr.Perfect" as the stud you chose for your mare I was fairly certain that I had heard that name before, and that he was a Quarter Horse. Then you said the name was used figuratively, as in finding "Mr.Right" for your mares. I thought I was going crazy, lol, because of my certainty of hearing that name before, so I looked into it to save my sanity. Yes, there is an actual "Mr.Perfect" Quarter Horse stud. I'm not sure how perfect he really is,since I didn't see a picture of him, but his pedigree was shown. That's definitely your area as I don't know much,if anything really, about QH bloodlines. At least my sanity was saved, lol. 

I'm so glad you have been successful with your foals. That's great to hear. You say they are fast? Do you race them, run barrels or use them for roping? I always liked to watch the reining part of shows. Those moves!

Did you watch Nat Geo last night? About the cattle rustling? I did, and even though the segment was only about 15 min. Long, it was still very interesting. One lady estimated her total losses at over $150,000.00. Unbelievable. I was floored. It's a far more serious crime than I initially thought.

Well, it's time to go do some grooming and get some hugs! Have a great day and ttyl. Bye

Dear Future Ghost,

Should you like to privately disclose the nature of your injury and the subsequent hurdles you have had and yet have to overcome, please PM with the expectation of my being empathetic in many regards.

Enclosed arenas certainly have many climatic, weather related, advantages.

No, I only wish I saw the National Geographic special about cattle rustling, which could be devastating for any sized operation.

Our efficient livestock businesses are small.  My husband likes to keep a dairy cow along with roping stock for practices.  The milk cow annually adopts an extra nursing calf and the steers are parcel with our having both heading and heeling horses.  Then, as my research involves our related mares’ having been race bred subsequent to one’s been proven on the track, we have prospective barrel horses as well.

All of the above began as a result of my cowboys’ earning one of his grandfather’s well bred fillies.  Her being a descendant of Pretty Boy (PB) makes possible what is nearly unheard of today for people’s long since breeding horses solely for speed.  Back then, it was still possible for a halter horse to also be a leading producer of race horses.  And, because the champion halter filly of PB’s lineage was a dun, her stripes and black points potentiated all-around athletes of rare colors and patterns, e.g. the previously mentioned bay roan, the rarest of colors for quarter horses, produced an exceptionally flashy filly that continues to exhibit great stamina while running well over 440 yards. 

What I wrote above is shocking to most people in today’s race horse industry.  Nonetheless, from a line of horses previously unproven on the track, I (inspired by Frank ‘Scoop’ Vessels) produced a winner in just one generation.  Now, I’ve a chance to prove a second generational horse AAAT.  Moreover, as it often takes people of nearly unlimited means up to ten years to win in excess of their expenditures, I yet have hope to not only soon break even but, with a little luck, profit from my thus competing for a mere two years.

Wild horses have long been only so wild.  Symbiotic has been their relationship with man for his eliminating common threats, e.g. wild cats, bears ...&c., their seeking protection from and tending to stay near us goes back a long way.  So, familiar with their reproductive and herd behaviors, I am not especially mystified by how mares’ greater chances of survival favored the continuance of their species.  After all, it is the species’ tolerance for some inbreeding that lets people successfully line breed them for the traits that they deem most advantageous.  Lastly, insofar as natural maintenance of their feet and long hair is concerned, again, rocky surfaces essentially rasp their hooves and I can only imagine water’s somehow rinsing out the tangles that inevitably form their manes and tails..

Talk to you later-- ttyl, was an acronym new to me.

Hugs, CAT

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

Looking back after my initially having left and returned only to run out of time while doing some last minute editing, I notice I left a couple of ellipses.  The first one just looks like a grammatical error, whereas the second omission of a word changes the meaning of part of a sentence.  That part was meant to appear as follows: 

I can only imagine water’s somehow rinsing out the tangles that inevitably form in their manes and tails.

Edited by aka CAT

I'm sorry but I find this too funny. What are the drug dealers going to do with a cow?! Can you imagine one of the addicts trying to steal a animal that won't move?

• Like 1

Anyone here ever seen the documentary "Cocain Cowboys"...?

Guess this gives that name a whole new meaning :lol:

• Like 3