Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

N Korea in another 'failed' missile launch

Still Waters

North Korea has test-fired another ballistic missile, South Korean and US military officials say.

The missile exploded shortly after take-off, they said - the second failed launch in the past fortnight.

US President Donald Trump accused North Korea of showing "disrespect" towards China and its president.

The missile was fired from a site in South Pyeongan province, north of Pyongyang, in the early hours of Saturday local time, South Korea said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39750240

• Like 3

I wonder if someone might be messing with the computerized elements of these missiles to cause such failures?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I wonder if someone might be messing with the computerized elements of these missiles to cause such failures?

There has been some discussion and speculation about the possibility of North Korea's missiles falling prey to US cyber-attacks (and other possible left-of-launch strategies), and whilst I don't doubt we are capable of wreaking havoc with their computer systems, there's no evidence that we are doing a very good job of it.

This recent Foreign Policy article examines this very issue and outlines why they think it more a fantasy than reality.

Edited by Claire.
Grammatical correction.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Made in China!.  An all-out missile assault on an enemy would probably result in the biggest toll of Friendly-Fire Casualties ever.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Lilly said:

Its not about missiles failing soon after launch, the problem is North Korea will keep on doing it which worries Japan and South Korea. If they have intellgience on where the missiles are made, then they could target those facilties rather than the missiles on a launch pad.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lilly said:

Exactly my thought.

• Like 2

This is the second missile  from NK  to blow up since Trump  clamped down on them. Its either the NK doing this to prove they can do this and then blowing  up the missiles  them selves,  or we have a new technology  of laser blowing them up :)

Edited by docyabut2

Missile didn't even make it out of best korea

18 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Made in China!.  An all-out missile assault on an enemy would probably result in the biggest toll of Friendly-Fire Casualties ever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/kim-jong-uns-rockets-are-getting-an-important-boost--from-china/2017/04/12/4893b0be-1a43-11e7-bcc2-7d1a0973e7b2_story.html?utm_term=.428b8e17b854

Literally made from Chinese components.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, and then said:

Ist it odd that both of these latest  two missile tests failed since the US stepped in ?

• Like 1

The North Koreans don't seem to be blaming any sort of outside interference, which puzzles me if in fact there was, why wouldn't they raise a stink about it?  

My personal opinion is that the government is pushing the scientists and engineers too hard and haste makes waste.  It might also be that the scientists and engineers don't want this program to succeed -- at least some of them.

Of course one can also blame the leadership for meddling -- managers who don't know the details always mess things up.

One thing seems clear -- such a chain of failures is unprecedented and needs explanation that goes beyond simple incompetence.  If the regime weren't so secretive maybe we would have a clue.

2 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

The North Koreans don't seem to be blaming any sort of outside interference, which puzzles me if in fact there was, why wouldn't they raise a stink about it?  

My personal opinion is that the government is pushing the scientists and engineers too hard and haste makes waste.  It might also be that the scientists and engineers don't want this program to succeed -- at least some of them.

Of course one can also blame the leadership for meddling -- managers who don't know the details always mess things up.

One thing seems clear -- such a chain of failures is unprecedented and needs explanation that goes beyond simple incompetence.  If the regime weren't so secretive maybe we would have a clue.

What are they going to say, Frank? That the US and S Korea are sabotaging our great leaders nuclear missiles? Or that our missiles are old and obsolete... i think the Americans and Chinese are trying to find a peaceful end to the situation and they're all doing their little bit to make fatboy look stupid. 

On 29 April 2017 at 8:51 PM, Lilly said:

I think Obama had a virus program that was part of his carrot and stick approach to the North Koreans. It seems that Trump is copying the same strategy. Shock horror.  

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

What are they going to say, Frank? That the US and S Korea are sabotaging our great leaders nuclear missiles? Or that our missiles are old and obsolete... i think the Americans and Chinese are trying to find a peaceful end to the situation and they're all doing their little bit to make fatboy look stupid. 

If I were in the fat boy's shoes and was being sabotaged, I would make a lot of noise about it.  True that implies a certain vulnerability, but it also implies hostility by outsiders and therefore an excuse for what is happening and an excuse for doing nasty things like kidnapping and lobbing shells over the DMZ and so on (nothing likely to cause a real reaction though).

Yes I agree the Chinese want a peaceful solution.  I am not so sure about Trump -- he is probably restrained by the difficulty of doing things way up there -- but I think he would love to take out a lot of specific targets (nothing nuclear, mind you).  I think too he would get away with it and make himself a hero.  Maybe he is more cautious than he seems to be.  At any rate from unrelated comments he has made about the difficulty of being President, it occurs to me he has had a few nightmares about what he does might cause.

In the end, the North Koreans will probably step back -- for awhile -- continuing the work without public events.

4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I think Obama had a virus program that was part of his carrot and stick approach to the North Koreans. It seems that Trump is copying the same strategy. Shock horror.  

Oh I don't doubt it, but surely the N. Koreans are taking measures.  It is just the N. Korean silence on this that puzzles me.  Ah well, most of the world puzzles me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

If I were in the fat boy's shoes and was being sabotaged, I would make a lot of noise about it.  True that implies a certain vulnerability, but it also implies hostility by outsiders and therefore an excuse for what is happening and an excuse for doing nasty things like kidnapping and lobbing shells over the DMZ and so on (nothing likely to cause a real reaction though).

Yes I agree the Chinese want a peaceful solution.  I am not so sure about Trump -- he is probably restrained by the difficulty of doing things way up there -- but I think he would love to take out a lot of specific targets (nothing nuclear, mind you).  I think too he would get away with it and make himself a hero.  Maybe he is more cautious than he seems to be.  At any rate from unrelated comments he has made about the difficulty of being President, it occurs to me he has had a few nightmares about what he does might cause.

In the end, the North Koreans will probably step back -- for awhile -- continuing the work without public events.

I don't know Frank. I think what fatboy knows, wants and needs and what he tells his people are two different things. I imagine if he somehow gave the impression of a failed state to his people then his hold on power would crumble. This way he can understate his abilities but give the impression of great strides forward for the "revolution." Remember all the bluster and rhetoric that Trump had not so long ago? Well that seems to have given way to a more pragmatic approach. It seems that fatboy isn't the only one that bit off more than he can chew. 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I don't know Frank. I think what fatboy knows, wants and needs and what he tells his people are two different things. I imagine if he somehow gave the impression of a failed state to his people then his hold on power would crumble. This way he can unstate his abilities but give the impression of great strides forward for the "revolution." Remember all the bluster and rhetoric  that Trump had not so long ago? Well that seems to have given way to a more pragmatic approach. It seems that fatboy isn't the only one that bit off more than he can chew. 

I personally don't think Trump has learned anything -- I don't think he is capable of it.  What has happened is the system has gotten in his way -- he has learned that there are such things as courts and another political party and members of your own party who may have different views.  As you probably know by now, I have nothing but disgust for Trump and for those who elected him.

I really don't understand how the N. Korean regime, after decades of horrible misrule and suffering and steadily declining population and life standards, how it stays in power.  The only answer I can think of is terror.  Propaganda may have something to do with it too, since I see daily on this board how Russian propaganda influences some people, but it is hard to give that full credit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

I personally don't think Trump has learned anything -- I don't think he is capable of it.  What has happened is the system has gotten in his way -- he has learned that there are such things as courts and another political party and members of your own party who may have different views.  As you probably know by now, I have nothing but disgust for Trump and for those who elected him.

I really don't understand how the N. Korean regime, after decades of horrible misrule and suffering and steadily declining population and life standards, how it stays in power.  The only answer I can think of is terror.  Propaganda may have something to do with it too, since I see daily on this board how Russian propaganda influences some people, but it is hard to give that full credit.

Can't say that i hate Trump. He has moxy. I'm guessing that Trump was thinking that being POTUS was going to be more easier. Its about compromising and getting other people to do what you need. Something that prolly is new to him. He's got the people skills so no reason why he can't learn. I think Obama offered to council him. Maybe he should take up the offer or maybe find a republican that he respects to advise him.

Terror. Apparently fatboy's appetite for killing relatives and trusted family advisors is second to none. He's paranoid. That's why he's gone all Genghis khan.   

5 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Can't say that i hate Trump. He has moxy. I'm guessing that Trump was thinking that being POTUS was going to be more easier. Its about compromising and getting other people to do what you need. Something that prolly is new to him. He's got the people skills so no reason why he can't learn. I think Obama offered to council him. Maybe he should take up the offer or maybe find a republican that he respects to advise him.

Terror. Apparently fatboy's appetite for killing relatives and trusted family advisors is second to none. He's paranoid. That's why he's gone all Genghis khan.   

I don't hate trump -- what good would that do me -- I just have utterly no respect for him.  I would compare him to Teddy Roosevelt if he had the intelligence he thinks he has -- he does have balls -- but on the wrong person that can be a disaster.  He is also a con artist -- most real estate types are, and, of course, a narcissist -- look at all the hair business.

He has surrounded himself with sycophants -- most strong leaders do and I don't think that is so bad.  When one is having strategy meetings one does not need someone pointing out all the negatives -- one is there to get things done.  The negatives should be brought out in private, or, if one is a really smart man, like Reagan or Clinton, think of what they are on one's own (although Clinton's recklessness just overwhelms me).  

As for fat boy, I would compare him to Nero, and I think he will come to a similar end.

• Like 2

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Claire. said:

There has been some discussion and speculation about the possibility of North Korea's missiles falling prey to US cyber-attacks (and other possible left-of-launch strategies), and whilst I don't doubt we are capable of wreaking havoc with their computer systems, there's no evidence that we are doing a very good job of it.

This recent Foreign Policy article examines this very issue and outlines why they think it more a fantasy than reality.

And more...

http://38north.org/2017/04/jschilling042117/

Edited by Golden Duck
Gremlims trying to post first time
  • Like 2

Personally, I think the North Koreans just aren't all that good at missile technology (right now). However, that could change rapidly if they were to get their hands on some better equipment or some assistance from Iran. I've heard it said that North Korea could pose an actual threat in only a few short years. I suspect this is why we're seeing an escalation of the situation, a 'nip them in the bud' type of thing.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2017 at 5:22 PM, Mr.United_Nations said:

Its not about missiles failing soon after launch, the problem is North Korea will keep on doing it which worries Japan and South Korea. If they have intellgience on where the missiles are made, then they could target those facilties rather than the missiles on a launch pad.   

Too be honest fat boy couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo.

The problem is that like all engineers they learn even from the failures. Eventually they will get the missile right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, A rather obscure Bassoon said:

Too be honest fat boy couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo.

For now anyway. But, like The Russian Hare said, "Eventually they will get the missile right." And, I'm pretty sure that's what has everyone all worked up.

It goes up and comes right back down. I wonder if it's a metaphor for his sex life. Maybe that's why he's so p***ed all the time? 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry