Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hubble Pictures Too Crisp, Challenging Theories

Kira

Clarity is what astronomers and the public have come to expect from the Hubble Space Telescope. But the sharpness with which Hubble photographs distant galaxies has scientists pondering why the pictures are not blurry, as some new calculations suggest they should be, and whether some basic assumptions about space, time and gravity might have to be rethought.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Space.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magikman

• racerette

• Saru

• Bloated Corpse

I'm not surprised but I wonder why the interstellar dust wouldn't make light a little fuzzy. Then again the universe is big and most of it's secrets are unknown so who knows.

Guest Dis-believer

That's because the Hubble Photo's are a fake!! Computer generated...

The original theories stand.

Dis-Believer,

What original theories are you referring to ?

There's no evidence here to prove that someone has been faking all the Hubble pictures, what are you basing that on ?

"There's no evidence here to prove that someone has been faking all the Hubble pictures, what are you basing that on?"

Ignorance, probably. unsure.gif

The photo's are computer enhanced, not generated. Obviously, viewing the raw pictures would be very non-descript and uninteresting. Using filters that involve the full light and/or heat spectrum greatly enhances and accentuates the probable image one would encounter if viewed at an acceptable distance.

Magikman

Edited by Magikman

Here's a LINK to an article that explains the use of various filters and the effects their implementation have on Hubble images.

Magikman cool.gif

Hi, I'm new here so I thought I'd post my first post. Please congratulate me!

Anyway, it is very interesting. If the photos are digitally enhanced won't that distort our views of the universe. Surely, if they're enhanced they'll no longer be acurate. That's just my opinion. I'd like to see some of the photos before they get edited. Does anyone know if it is possible to view such a thing? I know this may sound a little odd, but maybe seeing the original photos (with all blurring and imperfections included) we may get a clearer view of the universe. Not sure if 'clearer' was the right word to use there....

As for the theory that they may be fakes. Yep, it's possible... they could be... but it's difficult to say...

congrats on your first post and welcome to the forum!!!!

I'm sure MM will know where to view pre-edited pictures...he seems to know everything!!! biggrin.gif

If the photos are digitally enhanced won't that distort our views of the universe?

Not exactly sure what you mean by this BoB, your 'view' of the universe is already substantially distorted by the earth's atmosphere, pollution, and visual aptitude. Unedited photos won't give you a 'clearer' picture either, considering that the images are mostly of objects many light years distant. Accuracy is a function of detail, especially if you are depending on 'light shift' to determine the distance of an object, or chemical analysis of gases for the composition of a nebula. These attributes cannot be had or their images realized without special filters. Still, all you need do is visit the Hubble website if you want an example of unedited photos. CLICK HERE to get an overly simplified explanation as to how image data is analyzed and enhanced to provide the images you see.

Alternately, you can visit the Virtual Telescope website HERE which offers minimally enhanced images that gives a closer representation of what you might 'see' with your own eyes.

Magikman

* - Welcome to the forum by the way. smile.gif