Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Compelling evidence Tower of Babel was real

Claire.

It must have been quite an experience to see that place, Taun.  I think it (might) have even been worth suffering the heat.  Maybe :) 

Nimrod was the ruler who built the original but it was indeed in what is currently known as Babylon.  The plain of Shinar.  I think discoveries like this should cause people who think they either already know the story or who reject it outright as myth, to reconsider.  I have the strong feeling that when we finally understand it all, we are going to realize that the truth was there all the time and we weren't seeing the forest for the trees.

• Like 7

@Taun Thanks for your service, we are brothers-in-arms.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

@Taun Thanks for your service, we are brothers-in-arms.

Thank you for yours... I was Army Signal Corps. You?

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Taun said:

Thank you for yours... I was Army Signal Corps. You?

US Navy (Radioman) on assignment with the Marines in Vietnam, a few years earlier than you. ;)

• Like 5

Claire you have done it again.  Thanks for the thread.  Have you considered creating your own science blog?

• Like 6

13 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

US Navy (Radioman) on assignment with the Marines in Vietnam, a few years earlier than you. ;)

I signed up in '71 - went to Iraq at age 50 with a bunch of young'uns... I volunteered for Nam (thus proving I was never very smart) but I guess the Army thought I was nuts so they sent me to Europe instead... It was horrible... While my brothers-in-arms were out there in the jungles fighting Charlie, I had to stay on the Italian Riviera drinking wine, eating pasta and surrounded by movie stars and bikini clad women... It was terrible... I don't know how I made it... (:P)

I did eventually make it to Nam - but TDY (Temporary duty) for a bit less than a month - so I don't claim it - never left Saigon....

It's great to meet another Signalman... signalguy... signalperson... er... Sparky!

But all that is a bit off topic... as Tatetopa said... Well done Claire!

Edited by Taun
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Taun said:

I signed up in '71 - went to Iraq at age 50 with a bunch of young'uns... I volunteered for Nam (thus proving I was never very smart) but I guess the Army thought I was nuts so they sent me to Europe instead... It was horrible... While my brothers-in-arms were out there in the jungles fighting Charlie, I had to stay on the Italian Riviera drinking wine, eating pasta and surrounded by movie stars and bikini clad women... It was terrible... I don't know how I made it... (:P)

LOL, you got my attention!

I did eventually make it to Nam - but TDY (Temporary duty) for a bit less than a month - so I don't claim it - never left Saigon....

Then you know about "The jewel of Indo-China" Man, I was glad to get out of there. R&R in Bangkok didn't hurt my feelings though. *wink*

I was based out of Danang from 66-67 (Yes, I'm old) :lol:

It's great to meet another Signalman... signalguy... signalperson... er... Sparky!

Hey, you know what they called us! ;) I was a 3rd class Radioman, voice radio and teletype operator. My claim to fame was being "Danang Control" which consisted of directing vessels to the proper berths, and sending messages to our brothers in the s***. I was lucky, I only got shot at one time, got dinged by AK-47 fragments that hit us while riding in a vehicle. And only one attack by the VC with 6" Chinese rockets. Hell, when a guy is a tender 18 years old, it didn't bother me that much. If that happened today I would have to be committed! 

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

LOL, you got my attention!

Then you know about "The jewel of Indo-China" Man, I was glad to get out of there. R&R in Bangkok didn't hurt my feelings though. *wink*

I was based out of Danang from 66-67 (Yes, I'm old) :lol:

Hey, you know what they called us! ;) I was a 3rd class Radioman, voice radio and teletype operator. My claim to fame was being "Danang Control" which consisted of directing vessels to the proper berths, and sending messages to our brothers in the s***. I was lucky, I only got shot at one time, got dinged by AK-47 fragments that hit us while riding in a vehicle. And only one attack by the VC with 6" Chinese rockets. Hell, when a guy is a tender 18 years old, it didn't bother me that much. If that happened today I would have to be committed! 

I was (at the time) an Infantry RTO (Radio Operator assigned to an Infantry squad) But my primary MOS was Strategic Communications (Data). I've been teletype (we call them RATT Rigs - Radio Teletype), Morse code, DSTE (Digital Subscriber Terminal Equip - Computer comm before there were personal comps), Voice and Satellite Comm... Even did some old school semaphore and wig-wag believe it or not...

But maybe we should take this to another thread and let poor Claire get on with her Tower of Babel posts... (sorry for the hijack Claire)...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Taun said:

I was (at the time) an Infantry RTO (Radio Operator assigned to an Infantry squad) But my primary MOS was Strategic Communications (Data). I've been teletype (we call them RATT Rigs - Radio Teletype), Morse code, DSTE (Digital Subscriber Terminal Equip - Computer comm before there were personal comps), Voice and Satellite Comm... Even did some old school semaphore and wig-wag believe it or not...

But maybe we should take this to another thread and let poor Claire get on with her Tower of Babel posts... (sorry for the hijack Claire)...

You're right, sorry Claire, a couple of old guys got sentimental. :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

You're right, sorry Claire, a couple of old guys got sentimental. :)

You 'old guys' can get sentimental anytime you want. Your experiences are fascinating — and appreciated.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Claire you have done it again.  Thanks for the thread.  Have you considered creating your own science blog?

Thanks Tatetopa. Every member of my family is in the sciences. I took a totally different road, but I love all things science and maybe one day I will shock them all and indeed start a blog!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Claire. said:

Thanks Tatetopa. Every member of my family is in the sciences. I took a totally different road, but I love all things science and maybe one day I will shock them all and indeed start a blog!

Seriously, you have a talent for bringing interesting topics together from a wide range of subjects.  Kinda what every educated modern citizen should know.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Seriously, you have a talent for bringing interesting topics together from a wide range of subjects.  Kinda what every educated modern citizen should know.

Again, thank you. I'll seriously consider it as it's a great idea.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While the article itself is cool and all, the photos Taun shared are the best part!

Edited by BeastieRunner
  • Like 2

It's said that Nimrod was the son of Cush, who's father was Ham. Ham was the son of Noah, pretty cool huh? ^_^

• Like 5

I'm not so sure this is an good representation of the original Tower of Babel. The article says it probably dates to 600 BC, and ancient Babylon was in it's hayday around 1800 BC, so that's 1200 years. That's like finding a sculpture of Julius Caesar carved in the 12th century and saying it could be an actual likeness of him.

I think a 7 tiered ziggurat probably would fit the bill of the origin of the myth however.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I'm not so sure this is an good representation of the original Tower of Babel. The article says it probably dates to 600 BC, and ancient Babylon was in it's hayday around 1800 BC, so that's 1200 years. That's like finding a sculpture of Julius Caesar carved in the 12th century and saying it could be an actual likeness of him.

I think a 7 tiered ziggurat probably would fit the bill of the origin of the myth however.

I know this is from wiki, but it may explain why a 7th century BC carving might be reasonably accurate...

The Tower of Babel has been associated with known structures according to some modern scholars, notably the Etemenanki, a ziggurat dedicated to the Mesopotamian god Marduk by Nabopolassar, king of Babylonia (c. 610 BCE).[5][6] The Great Ziggurat of Babylon was 91 metres (300 ft) in height. Alexander the Great ordered it demolished circa 331 BCE in preparation for a reconstruction that his death forestalled.[7][8] A Sumerian story with some similar elements is told in Enmerkar and the Lord of Aratta

Back in the day they use to repair and rebuild these monuments on a fairly regular basis...

• Like 3

If the video represented an actual finding of the original tower built by Nimrod (not Nebuchadnezzar 2), I'd be very surprised if it would be made publicly available.

Edited by WoIverine

The tower predated Nebuchadnezzar II by quite a bit if my Biblical knowledge is correct. It predated Abraham and thus the Jewish nation I believe. The prophet Daniel and his friends (Jews) came along much later and were taken into captivity by Nebuchadnezzar I, as part of the Babylonian captivity, thus N II rule is at a much later date than Babel. 

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 6