Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Eagles sue Hotel California- in Mexico

rashore

The Eagles have filed a lawsuit accusing the owners of a Mexico hotel of using the name "Hotel California," arguably the band's most famous song, without permission.

In a complaint filed late Monday, the Eagles said owners of the 11-room Todos Santos hotel in Baja California Sur "actively encourage" guests to believe the hotel is associated with the band, in order to sell t-shirts and other merchandise, and make guests feel welcome.

This allegedly included piping "Hotel California" and other Eagles songs through the hotel sound system, and selling t-shirts in that refer to the hotel as "legendary," resulting in apparent confusion among many guests who posted online reviews.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-music-eagles-hotelcalifornia-idUSKBN17Y1TU

And for those that don't care for reuters, a few other sites...

CTVnews: http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/eagles-sue-mexican-hotel-california-1.3397523

Brietbart: http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2017/05/02/eagles-sue-mexican-hotel-california-opened-decades-release-famous-song/

tmz: http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/02/eagles-sue-hotel-california-in-mexico/

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stubbly_Dooright

• Oniomancer

• griss47

• Unusual Tournament

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This small hotel has been around for a while, why are they just suing now?

That song was about the music/celebrity culture and how they were trapped in it, not an actual physical hotel.

15 hours ago, Goodf3llow said:

$$$$$

19 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

That song was about the music/celebrity culture and how they were trapped in it, not an actual physical hotel.

I always thought that song was about the occult. :o I didn't know what it really meant until now, or yesterday, when Don Henly mentioned the same thing you did. There was even a time, years and years ago at a Christmas party, a friend's boyfriend was translating each lyrics while the song was playing, to point out how each was talking about the occult and sacrifices. Either he was mistaken, or he successfully hosed me in on that. :w00t: 

Well, on to the next 'real meanings of songs', where Phil Collins wasn't talking about taking revenge on the guy who let his drunk friend drown, and that The Police actually wrote about stalking and not an sweet romance song. ;)  :devil: 

4 hours ago, griss47 said:
20 hours ago, Goodf3llow said:

$$$$$

Kind of reminds me of this.  

Though, I am extremely :angry: on that. 

As for my thoughts on the Mexico hotel suit, why use something belonging to another, to advertise or attract? In the end, it got them bad publicity as well as the suit. 

Though, here's a question, and I'm reminded of this, how much we worry, when words, names, and phrases get copy writed, that it might prove financially dangerous to even speak? 

23 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

...well not really as the hotel owners were playing eagle songs and selling merchandise.