Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theism and Atheism Vs Agnosticism

Conspirologist

12 hours ago, Mystic Crusader said:

One of the darkest.

Highest poverty rates, idolizers of the nihilistic gang lifestyle, the worst tyrants.

And so, in what period of previous history would you prefer to live, and why?

7 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

And so, in what period of previous history would you prefer to live, and why?

Strictly from a point of morality, before the fourth dynasty of Egypt, before the rise of the Abrahamic religions.

12 hours ago, Mystic Crusader said:

Strictly from a point of morality, before the fourth dynasty of Egypt, before the rise of the Abrahamic religions.

Warfare and slavery were common during that time as during just about every time before the present.

I have yet to hear of any period in human history when war wasn't rampant. Right now is the least warlike time in all of human history. Violent crime, at least in the US, has been going down for decades. Abortion rates have been steadily going down for decades, because of education and birth control, except in Southern states, which still have high abortion rates because of "abstinence only" education (a proven failure) and difficulty finding information about birth control, all caused by Christian extremism.

I agree that the Abrahamic religions are anti-moral. Most of their teachings (stone rape victims to death, etc.) are monstrous. There are a few good bits but they're surrounded by horrors.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Blizno said:

Warfare and slavery were common during that time as during just about every time before the present.

I have yet to hear of any period in human history when war wasn't rampant. Right now is the least warlike time in all of human history. Violent crime, at least in the US, has been going down for decades. Abortion rates have been steadily going down for decades, because of education and birth control, except in Southern states, which still have high abortion rates because of "abstinence only" education (a proven failure) and difficulty finding information about birth control, all caused by Christian extremism.

I agree that the Abrahamic religions are anti-moral. Most of their teachings (stone rape victims to death, etc.) are monstrous. There are a few good bits but they're surrounded by horrors.

Though, I agree with you of us going through the least warlike time, I do wonder at the divisiveness this country at the moment. (Thanks to the election, maybe? ;)  :o ) And, I agree you on your points. 

What I bolded, (it's not that I disagree with you) growing up secular, I really wouldn't know, based on the lack of experience and not knowing the bible. (any version) But, I do get that there is a lot that would contradict itself, and a lot that would either contradict our laws and rights today, or at the least, be out of date. Yet, I hear so many that boast being biblical and wanting everyone to be biblical, and I get :unsure: 

Are they really being one hundred percent biblical? And if they want me to be, are they ready for me to exercise any of it to them? 

;)  :rolleyes: 

On 2017-6-2 at 11:40 AM, Mystic Crusader said:

fair enough, but of course one cannot separate out morality or even belief systems from technology and science.

That would be a period with good (for its time) science and medicine yet still your life would be very hard, dangerous and probably short  No antibiotics No vaccines  so almost anything could kill you. No effective anaesthetics so having a tooth removed would be painful and any significant trauma would likely cause death  You would be put to death or into slavery for many many reasons  with no basic human rights or rights of appeal. You would have no freedom of movement and little freedom of expression  Your life would be dependent on the vagaries of the nile and of the   amount of surplus foods available to you Even a good life would be one of hard physical labour and little recreation or  time off.

For me the present is the golden age  but the future will be even better   But then i measure it on a " liveability  index." which includes all elements of life. For example i think the 50s were a better time to be young than  today, in social terms ,but not in economic or medical ones. We have lost a lot of the freedoms we enjoyed then, yet are materially richer, live longer, have better medical technologies,  and have easier lives.