Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Miracles

aka CAT

I recently chanced upon an article about miracles that sums them up nearly as well as the people who either do or do not believe in them, e.g. from Yes, miracles happen. I know because people keep telling me about them By Don Jacobson, two quotes:

• Miracles are not reserved for the elite. I couldn’t find evidence of any kind of grading system that matches the strength of the miracle to the goodness of our souls.  Believe me, some of the people that God helped out were major screw-ups. Miracles aren’t a reward for good behavior. In fact, I don’t even think they’re a reward at all.                                            

But they’re not all equal [...]

• Look around you. There are a lot of “lucky” things happening. It’s like the English writer and lay  theologian G.K. Chesterton said, “The believers in miracles accept them (rightly or wrongly) because they have evidence for them. The disbelievers in miracles deny them (rightly or wrongly) because they have a doctrine against them.

Have a blessed Sunday.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, aka CAT said:

I recently chanced upon an article about miracles that sums them up nearly as well as the people who either do or do not believe in them, e.g. from Yes, miracles happen. I know because people keep telling me about them By Don Jacobson, two quotes:

• Miracles are not reserved for the elite. I couldn’t find evidence of any kind of grading system that matches the strength of the miracle to the goodness of our souls.  Believe me, some of the people that God helped out were major screw-ups. Miracles aren’t a reward for good behavior. In fact, I don’t even think they’re a reward at all.                                            

• Look around you. There are a lot of “lucky” things happening. It’s like the English writer and lay  theologian G.K. Chesterton said, “The believers in miracles accept them (rightly or wrongly) because they have evidence for them. The disbelievers in miracles deny them (rightly or wrongly) because they have a doctrine against them.

Have a blessed Sunday.

I believe in miracles because I had one. I suffered a ruptured Brain Aneurysm and survived. I was working one evening and felt a little strange very nervous. When I got into my car I felt like I was going to fall asleep right on the spot. Then I had the worst pain in my head and heard a pop real loud. It scared me so I got into my car and started driving home. I went through every red light to try to get home right away. Then my eye felt like it had fallen down to my cheek. I started to vomit very badly and just made it home. I live with my son and my brother and my brother usually is asleep by 9pm strangely he was still awake at 12am. I told him "I think I had a stroke" He called the ambulance and they took me to radiology to give me an MRI after that I do not remember anymore. When I woke up the doctor told me, "your a miracle" but I will have to operate on your head you have a brain aneurysm that burst. I found out later that I had woken up 3 weeks later.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, aka CAT said:

I recently chanced upon an article about miracles that sums them up nearly as well as the people who either do or do not believe in them, e.g. from Yes, miracles happen. I know because people keep telling me about them By Don Jacobson, two quote

Sums up using inadequate math. Sums it up aka dismisses it. Says this component is anectdotal and then ends with believe or not believe.

Miracles are not proof for one to believe. Never were. Sign of Jonah is you leaving darkness, belly of beast, or see others. That is all proof this generation will be given, red letter reference.

Miracles are not reserved for the elite. I couldn’t find evidence of any kind of grading system that matches the strength of the miracle to the goodness of our souls.

Miracles are reserve when elite fail at their duties and responsibilities.

MIRACLES ARE FOR THE POOR spirit or wealth status or any other category mentioned in Beatitudes. Count last one too as most dont.

Wiki tells

The ninth beatitude, 5:11-12, refers to the bearing of reviling and is addressed to the disciples.[7][8] R. T. France considers verses 11 and 12 to be based on Isaiah 51:7.[9]

The Beatitudes unique to Matthew are the meek, the merciful, the pure of heart, and the peacemakers.[6] The other four have similar entries in Luke, but are followed almost immediately by "four woes".

If you aint a disciple you will be insulted. Bless all nine. No woe no woe and sprig of woo and two shakes of wu tang.

Good souls are we all and the ones not being taken care of get miracles as recepients of them.

The ninth category nake miracles happen for others.

We can be a few catetorgories. Blessed to all as all fit in one.

New miracles now happen as old ones is stuff all can do now.

New miracles are for your own direction as you believe but need direction and pauses to switch focus.

New miracles also can be done alone by one who can walk on a jumping board, balance, tip toe but step repeat back, and boom water will rise in air.

That is healing of lands and souls detached. So you lost your heart in Tennesse. Or you gave up under that tree. We return you.

One witness will see for their confirmation.

Never alone truly but no people or crowds just a flaneurisy and urban explorer. It happens by graceful and slow dance steps. Never walkibg backward but step back firm so energy is forward always. But you would see me walk backwards. If you were the janitor working past six or twilight. When we cant see well indoors. And you should be home. Major bless to him or her and families too.

Miracles also will appear as oddities of time line changes as one swears no you said sorry friend forgive me and they forgave and said sorry frienf forgive me too. But you swear no it ended bad. Proof that it changed. But real proof is that they rememver but trauma is gone.

Editors of past events will see this.

Believe me, some of the people that God helped out were major screw-ups. Miracles aren’t a reward for good behavior. In fact, I don’t even think they’re a reward at all.    

Reward good behavior and punish bad? Western fallacy.

A man horribly commuting by car saves a drowning driver who slipped off in a storm. He is a hero. Goes home and beats wife by the stare that is not at them or away but perpindicular that chills and killls the room with heavy opression

Abuse and trauma areas of mind light up. Same as fist hits. To her self or wall.

Asians say anyone would help. Not heroic just humanity in tandem works. Their closeness also helps with diseases like plague.

Next example.

A man shoots up spree taking out females mainly.

We say evil shame disown.

They say he was lonely with inadequate social connections. They all failed. Not the victims including him.

A woman now drowns all babies. Evil. Kill the witch. Prison horror. But postpartum fools is disease we didnt treat. We fail at honoring and using all resources to them and widows and oprhans and foreigners and strangers.

Asians say come on in want a meal if in rural or neighborhood. If in retail pay up tourist. I recommend asking for goof cat.

Because now some say miracles are not rewards they dont even get fair share of normal stuff that makes us whole and they wont bless others.

CAT is a wonder worker.

Equal only in being dismissed by attack or believed and defended. Waste of time.

"They are not all equal" can mean some or even all are equal. If not "all equal" then they are "all equal". Clarify or not it is bad term.

Stop using luck in your own dialogues and stop wishing.

Yes lots of bless always it aint luck but cooperation and altruism even at a distance. Honor the contributors and your own contributions to the good glue (bad breaks are bad never good). Good glue not good breaks. But good brakes is valid if your car stops on point.

Believers in miracles accept right or wrong but that is at a distance reading guidepost for inspiration and also personal testimony of good folk they know well.

Makers and receivers of miracles need no belief aftet the fact their belief in self and others alone produced miracle.

Imagine a car not driving but spilling fuel and engine falls out. Comedic yes but that is what puttibg belief after a miracle is. 

Yes religion is not domain of miracles like believing in miracles is for believers of systems and doctrines and tenets.

He has it right it is religion and doctrine that denies miracles both in what most think denial is aka con and even pro miracle people who put belief after and dont do their own miracles for others.

Have a blessed Sunday.

The disbelievers in miracles deny them (rightly or wrongly) because they have a doctrine against them.

Repeat value.

As we all reject doctrine now especually doctrine of others lol, disbelievers of miracles will diminiish.

Good bless both by GK and CAT 

..uhh cat chesire?

Some say screw gk and his religion. Screw into you got loose and yes screw religion as it is broken beyond repair but some place is needed to place surplus screws at. Not bundled but into wood.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton, KC*SG, better known as G. K. Chesterton, was an English writer, poet, philosopher, dramatist, journalist, orator, lay theologian, biographer, and literary and art critic.

We need more women like this.

Pride consists in a man making his personality the only test, instead of making truth the test. The sceptic feels himself too large to measure life by the largest things; and ends by measuring it by the smallest thing of all.” – The Common Man

Religous folk are true skeptics of faith and piety. Skeptics possess more even if mislead it is lead to gold faster than REVeLATION says big world event soon, liars, and old testament say withches evil and so is leather and nylon shoes then ..use all laws or  none even the ten, and paul says eternal damnation and i say yes for eternity is within time and space, we aint going to leave and continue by new planets, we leave time and space, timeless and no infinity aka finite. No finish and no being in or out of it.

We ascend.

back to gk

1. Back To Nature – “Properly speaking, of course, there is no such thing as a return to nature, because there is no such thing as a departure from it. The phrase reminds one of the slightly intoxicated gentleman who gets up in his own dining room and declares firmly that he must be getting home.” – The Chesterton Review, August, 1993

And

Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere.” – ILN, 5/5/28

Just  not as boundaries but paths. Line that right. No limit soldiers.

Have a blessed decade and epoch CAT myaan do?

https://youtu.be/nWgMFP9-Jy0

I like em yellow better than john deere green. But go hibachi.

Edited by I hide behind words
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, aka CAT said:

Have a blessed Sunday.

I think that there are NO miracles. Only people do not know all. And things  whitch they do not understand  mark a miracle.

4 hours ago, I hide behind words said:

Sums up using inadequate math. Sums it up aka dismisses it. Says this component is anectdotal and then ends with believe or not believe.

Miracles are not proof for one to believe. Never were. Sign of Jonah is you leaving darkness, belly of beast, or see others. That is all proof this generation will be given, red letter reference.

Miracles are reserve when elite fail at their duties and responsibilities.

MIRACLES ARE FOR THE POOR spirit or wealth status or any other category mentioned in Beatitudes. Count last one too as most dont.

Wiki tells

The ninth beatitude, 5:11-12, refers to the bearing of reviling and is addressed to the disciples.[7][8] R. T. France considers verses 11 and 12 to be based on Isaiah 51:7.[9]

The Beatitudes unique to Matthew are the meek, the merciful, the pure of heart, and the peacemakers.[6] The other four have similar entries in Luke, but are followed almost immediately by "four woes".

If you aint a disciple you will be insulted. Bless all nine. No woe no woe and sprig of woo and two shakes of wu tang.

Good souls are we all and the ones not being taken care of get miracles as recepients of them.

The ninth category nake miracles happen for others.

We can be a few catetorgories. Blessed to all as all fit in one.

New miracles now happen as old ones is stuff all can do now.

New miracles are for your own direction as you believe but need direction and pauses to switch focus.

New miracles also can be done alone by one who can walk on a jumping board, balance, tip toe but step repeat back, and boom water will rise in air.

That is healing of lands and souls detached. So you lost your heart in Tennesse. Or you gave up under that tree. We return you.

One witness will see for their confirmation.

Never alone truly but no people or crowds just a flaneurisy and urban explorer. It happens by graceful and slow dance steps. Never walkibg backward but step back firm so energy is forward always. But you would see me walk backwards. If you were the janitor working past six or twilight. When we cant see well indoors. And you should be home. Major bless to him or her and families too.

Miracles also will appear as oddities of time line changes as one swears no you said sorry friend forgive me and they forgave and said sorry frienf forgive me too. But you swear no it ended bad. Proof that it changed. But real proof is that they rememver but trauma is gone.

Editors of past events will see this.

Reward good behavior and punish bad? Western fallacy.

A man horribly commuting by car saves a drowning driver who slipped off in a storm. He is a hero. Goes home and beats wife by the stare that is not at them or away but perpindicular that chills and killls the room with heavy opression

Abuse and trauma areas of mind light up. Same as fist hits. To her self or wall.

Asians say anyone would help. Not heroic just humanity in tandem works. Their closeness also helps with diseases like plague.

Next example.

A man shoots up spree taking out females mainly.

We say evil shame disown.

They say he was lonely with inadequate social connections. They all failed. Not the victims including him.

A woman now drowns all babies. Evil. Kill the witch. Prison horror. But postpartum fools is disease we didnt treat. We fail at honoring and using all resources to them and widows and oprhans and foreigners and strangers.

Asians say come on in want a meal if in rural or neighborhood. If in retail pay up tourist. I recommend asking for goof cat.

Because now some say miracles are not rewards they dont even get fair share of normal stuff that makes us whole and they wont bless others.

CAT is a wonder worker.

Equal only in being dismissed by attack or believed and defended. Waste of time.

"They are not all equal" can mean some or even all are equal. If not "all equal" then they are "all equal". Clarify or not it is bad term.

Stop using luck in your own dialogues and stop wishing.

Yes lots of bless always it aint luck but cooperation and altruism even at a distance. Honor the contributors and your own contributions to the good glue (bad breaks are bad never good). Good glue not good breaks. But good brakes is valid if your car stops on point.

Believers in miracles accept right or wrong but that is at a distance reading guidepost for inspiration and also personal testimony of good folk they know well.

Makers and receivers of miracles need no belief aftet the fact their belief in self and others alone produced miracle.

Imagine a car not driving but spilling fuel and engine falls out. Comedic yes but that is what puttibg belief after a miracle is. 

Yes religion is not domain of miracles like believing in miracles is for believers of systems and doctrines and tenets.

He has it right it is religion and doctrine that denies miracles both in what most think denial is aka con and even pro miracle people who put belief after and dont do their own miracles for others.

The disbelievers in miracles deny them (rightly or wrongly) because they have a doctrine against them.

Repeat value.

As we all reject doctrine now especually doctrine of others lol, disbelievers of miracles will diminiish.

Good bless both by GK and CAT 

..uhh cat chesire?

Some say screw gk and his religion. Screw into you got loose and yes screw religion as it is broken beyond repair but some place is needed to place surplus screws at. Not bundled but into wood.

Gilbert Keith Chesterton, KC*SG, better known as G. K. Chesterton, was an English writer, poet, philosopher, dramatist, journalist, orator, lay theologian, biographer, and literary and art critic.

We need more women like this.

Pride consists in a man making his personality the only test, instead of making truth the test. The sceptic feels himself too large to measure life by the largest things; and ends by measuring it by the smallest thing of all.” – The Common Man

Religous folk are true skeptics of faith and piety. Skeptics possess more even if mislead it is lead to gold faster than REVeLATION says big world event soon, liars, and old testament say withches evil and so is leather and nylon shoes then ..use all laws or  none even the ten, and paul says eternal damnation and i say yes for eternity is within time and space, we aint going to leave and continue by new planets, we leave time and space, timeless and no infinity aka finite. No finish and no being in or out of it.

We ascend.

back to gk

1. Back To Nature – “Properly speaking, of course, there is no such thing as a return to nature, because there is no such thing as a departure from it. The phrase reminds one of the slightly intoxicated gentleman who gets up in his own dining room and declares firmly that he must be getting home.” – The Chesterton Review, August, 1993

And

Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere.” – ILN, 5/5/28

Just  not as boundaries but paths. Line that right. No limit soldiers.

Have a blessed decade and epoch CAT myaan do?

https://youtu.be/nWgMFP9-Jy0

I like em yellow better than john deere green. But go hibachi.

Conciseness on your part would be refreshing.  As English doesn't seem to be your first language, realize your verbosity the more vague for its often being contradictory.  If the contradiction is owing in any part to sarcasm, then device fails you.  What's more, I have little tolerance of artifice.

Implicit was the fact that I didn't think the first quote quite did justice to miracles.  However, in all modesty, I cannot claim to deserve to have witnessed and received, known, as many miracles as have I.  Documented, one had a one-in-a-billion probability.  Still, I assert "not all miracles are equal," because people are not the same.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lumpino said:

I think that there are NO miracles. Only people do not know all. And things  whitch they do not understand  mark a miracle.

I had hoped this wouldn't digress into yet another believers v. nonbelievers thread, as even Don Jacobson, except to make a point, cannot improve upon Chesterton:

The believers in miracles accept them because they have evidence for them. The disbelievers in miracles deny them because they have a doctrine against them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Justice please said:

I believe in miracles because I had one. I suffered a ruptured Brain Aneurysm and survived. I was working one evening and felt a little strange very nervous. When I got into my car I felt like I was going to fall asleep right on the spot. Then I had the worst pain in my head and heard a pop real loud. It scared me so I got into my car and started driving home. I went through every red light to try to get home right away. Then my eye felt like it had fallen down to my cheek. I started to vomit very badly and just made it home. I live with my son and my brother and my brother usually is asleep by 9pm strangely he was still awake at 12am. I told him "I think I had a stroke" He called the ambulance and they took me to radiology to give me an MRI after that I do not remember anymore. When I woke up the doctor told me, "your a miracle" but I will have to operate on your head you have a brain aneurysm that burst. I found out later that I had woken up 3 weeks later.

Thank you, Justice please.  It is a wonder that you made it safely home before your being hauled to a hospital.  Three weeks is a long time to be unconscious.  Whereupon you awoke, did you remember the circumstances leading up to your consequently being hospitalized?

• Like 1

The reality of miracles is subjective and based on individual belief. With that said I'm exiting the thread.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

The reality of miracles is subjective and based on individual belief. With that said I'm exiting the thread.

We agree on the fact that we disagree.

Have a lovely day.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Conciseness on your part would be refreshing.  As English doesn't seem to be your first language, realize your verbosity the more vague for its often being contradictory.  If the contradiction is owing in any part to sarcasm, then device fails you.  What's more, I have little tolerance of artifice.

Implicit was the fact that I didn't think the first quote quite did justice to miracles.  However, in all modesty, I cannot claim to deserve to have witnessed and received, known, as many miracles as have I.  Documented, one had a one-in-a-billion probability.  Still, I assert "not all miracles are equal," because people are not the same.  

Forgive me I was wrong. Sarcasm is not my intent but you tell me it is in delivery.

Sorry for artifice I do intend to make art as it meant that first. I apologize for you saying it is a trick. I accept but am confused but accept.

I was commenting on article not your opinon, i will try and learn to comment to opinion again.

Many miss miracles and that is cool and I hope to one day hear you saw one, for another maybe, thank you for your modesty.

Agreed  not all miracles are equal with my only nuances being in perception and also realization. But maybe it is same stuff? Us?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yes subjective it is and it is interpreted by personal belief. I dont disagree but offer to add also interplay of group beliefs affects interpretation too.

Exit yes but enter again I hope.

What about the fallacy of miracle Xeno? Any thoughts?

13 minutes ago, I hide behind words said:

Forgive me I was wrong. Sarcasm is not my intent but you tell me it is in delivery.

Sorry for artifice I do intend to make art as it meant that first. I apologize for you saying it is a trick. I accept but am confused but accept.

I was commenting on article not your opinon, i will try and learn to comment to opinion again.

Many miss miracles and that is cool and I hope to one day hear you saw one, for another maybe, thank you for your modesty.

Agreed  not all miracles are equal with my only nuances being in perception and also realization. But maybe it is same stuff? Us?

Do you consider yourself spiritual?

In mentioning The Beatitudes, were you suggesting some people are more blessed?-- for their being more deserving?

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Justice please said:

Wow you take a real ebergizer bunny lickin and keep going. Miracle yes. But if you endure in other categories awesome build you got.

Build is game speak for character status in strength wisdom endurance charisma and intelligence.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, I hide behind words said:

Yes subjective it is and it is interpreted by personal belief. 

That, unlike what XenoFish stated, doesn't necessarily suggest miracles unreal--

simply, do you believe miracles actual? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aka CAT said:

Do you consider yourself spiritual?

In mentioning The Beatitudes, were you suggesting some people are more blessed?-- and, thus, more deserving?

I prefer that spirt flows and Spirit operates in me more fully. I am very fleshy minded or carnal minded in bible talk. Cause I hace to annouce Spirit-spirit I am not spirtual.

Beatitudes are for those less blessed and in return augmented by being called to become Blessed. Or as some say plainly that one had bad breaks and still does but she is grateful for what she has. So is content, I wish I was like that and will be when I enter Blessed state.

For me it is self bless by patience and self kidness and others blessing you in heart and mind.

All are on some category of the nine.

So all are deserving? But honestly I see none deserve and we are given out of kindness of other hearts for starters.

What do you see? Who deserves more? Who less? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

That, unlike what XenoFish stated, doesn't necessarily suggest miracles unreal--

Yes, I was just inquisitve about cognitive bias making miracles fallacy. My dumb mistake sorry xeno.

I think people saying i got a miracle i am close to god and perfect is unreal perspective. They got it but because so far from god and need help more. Miracle finds them so far away. Or the farland in prodigal son parable.

My dad cried and rarely does when i said god meets us halfway. He said no he goes 95% even 100...

And told me about prayer to save town where believer said "god spare us? If i find 20 souls? Sorry god what i dont.mean to bug but 10? Then 5.

Also wondering about Xeno still but glad he is not suggesting miracles unreal and i should not ask. Just want him to come back to thread.

I will try not to bully you off. Sorry xeno if i am forgive me.

Edited by I hide behind words
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Did I explicitly state that? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, I hide behind words said:

I prefer that spirt flows and Spirit operates in me more fully. I am very fleshy minded or carnal minded in bible talk. Cause I hace to annouce Spirit-spirit I am not spirtual.

Beatitudes are for those less blessed and in return augmented by being called to become Blessed. Or as some say plainly that one had bad breaks and still does but she is grateful for what she has. So is content, I wish I was like that and will be when I enter Blessed state.

For me it is self bless by patience and self kidness and others blessing you in heart and mind.

All are on some category of the nine.

So all are deserving? But honestly I see none deserve and we are given out of kindness of other hearts for starters.

What do you see? Who deserves more? Who less? 

Believing in the one God (the omnipresent, among other superlatives, God), I do not regard spirit inside nor outside but everywhere.  The blessed, by abiding in and by the Holy Spirit, might be deemed more deserving.  Even so, flawed as are we creatures, we do not merit God's unconditional love, boundless bounty, limitless forgiveness and mercy ...&c.   Therefore, the fact that we cannot actually earn blessings explains my favorite quote by Cathleen Falsani, “Justice is getting what you deserve. Mercy is not getting what you deserve. And grace is getting what you absolutely don't deserve."

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Did I explicitly state that? 

What is sheerly subjective and based upon belief isn't necessarily a reality.  So, for your apparent disbelief in God and, thus, acts of God, your statement

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

The reality of miracles is subjective and based on individual belief. 

did infer that miracles are merely perceived real.

Edited by aka CAT

A miracle can be something major or minor and it largely depends on your perspective. The subjective view you take upon the objective reality. A miracle for person A, might just be what person B calls luck.  Are we going to talk about gross displays of power such as someone walking on water, or turning bottled water into Jack Daniels? Perhaps we're looking at minor/major life occurrences that seem to defy odds? Both the word Luck and Miracle are interchangeable to me. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

A miracle can be something major or minor and it largely depends on your perspective. The subjective view you take upon the objective reality. A miracle for person A, might just be what person B calls luck.  Are we going to talk about gross displays of power such as someone walking on water, or turning bottled water into Jack Daniels? Perhaps we're looking at minor/major life occurrences that seem to defy odds? Both the word Luck and Miracle are interchangeable to me. 

Let's take the one-in-a-biilion occurrence where a hitherto not-so-outstanding person suddenly exhibits and is subsequently proven to have a gift that only eight out of nearly as many billion people on Earth can evidence.  Do you not think such an instance more than extraordinary?-- beyond lucky?   

3 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Let's take the one-in-a-biilion occurrence where a hitherto not-so-outstanding person suddenly exhibits and is subsequently proven to have a gift that only eight out of nearly as many billion people on Earth can evidence.  Do you not think such an instance more than extraordinary?-- beyond lucky?   

That depends on what this "gift" is. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I agree miracle is more about luck or a good surgeon, or going to the doctor at the first sign of something or landing on your feet after being hit by a car on a bicycle ( this happened to my oldest son) it is the wonder of modern medicine or the things we take for granted, or just the amazing human body, and its ability to come back or adapt. I don't think claiming an angel sighting in a  hospital is a miracle, it is the most common story told in that setting. I would also add that miracle stories seem to convey a great sense of appreciation and gratitude--  which I can understand and I think some of the things I have gotten through are incredible too, but to qualify as a miracle it has to be out of the ordinary, not something that is common to humanity as a whole, such as delusions, NDE's, hallucinations, etc. as opposed to "just" uncommon or novel  for the person. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I agree miracle is more about luck or a good surgeon, or going to the doctor at the first sign of something or landing on your feet after being hit by a car on a bicycle ( this happened to my oldest son) it is the wonder of modern medicine or the things we take for granted, or just the amazing human body, and its ability to come back or adapt. I don't think claiming an angel sighting in a  hospital is a miracle, it is the most common story told in that setting. I would also add that miracle stories  seems to be convey  a great sense of appreciation and gratitude--  which I can understand and I think some of the things I have gotten through are incredible too, but to qualify as a miracle it has to be out of the ordinary, not common to humanity as a whole, not just uncommon for the person. 

I think that a lot of people focus on the grandiose displays rather than the subtle joys of life. They want big miracles and special powers or whatever. The way I see it (perhaps only myself) is that life is a miracle. A one in a billion chance and it happened, that doesn't automatically mean that there was a god behind it because we'll never know. However we can appreciate life itself. A lot of people in the occult focus on thaumaturgy (wonder working), when I can't help but think of how my words might have affected someone today. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I think that a lot of people focus on the grandiose displays rather than the subtle joys of life. They want big miracles and special powers or whatever. The way I see it (perhaps only myself) is that life is a miracle. A one in a billion chance and it happened, that doesn't automatically mean that there was a god behind it because we'll never know. However we can appreciate life itself. A lot of people in the occult focus on thaumaturgy (wonder working), when I can't help but think of how my words might have affected someone today. 

Exactly, I would say something similar, even in some horrible settings there are great things too. Personally, coming out of an abusive childhood, I learned gratitude, not for the childhood, but for the fact that there is good in life too, one tends to notice it more, ironically. And, yes, yes, yes, just appreciating life is enough-- because in the course of living it has its great unassuming moments that do feel miraculous to each of us. Just that I can love others is a pretty cool perk.:wub:

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 5

• The topic was locked