Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
UM-Bot

DARPA investigating fast learning methods

7 posts in this topic

let the integration begin..

I know kung fu

Seems a bit naive as there is a lot more to learning than simply acquiring knowledge. Even then there are individual differences that require we appropriately link new learning into prior learning in order to retrieve and use the knowledge. The real questions begin with how will the learning be used. For example, does this learning need to be understood in a problem solving context? Does it need to occur in the context of social interaction? The needs should drive the methods.

Keep people happy while learning. I don't remember who did the research but they scanned the brain while teaching students something new and found that the group that was learning in a fun happy manner was able to learn faster, with much more learned(bandwidth I guess) and with much greater retention. 

Darpa pay me 1 million dollars for pointing you to research that's been out at least 30 years. 

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Nzo said:

Darpa pay me 1 million dollars for pointing you to research that's been out at least 30 years. 

Give 'em a call. According to one commenter on the story they might!

Posted (edited)

Isn't training also you to give you "muscle memory" so the action becomes more instinct and automatic.  Just because someone knows everything about something isn't all of it.  For instance, you can teach a person to bowl or play baseball or football from an academic standpoint.  But without actually doing it and seeing if you have the ability it's a bit pointless.  If repetitive usage can be learned anyone could be an expert in any endeavor.  OK, learning how to use electronic equipment might be possible as the how to part is the most important, but anything needing physical prowess, I seriously doubt it.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but don't different people use different "triggers" to learn and remember things?

Edited by paperdyer
gramatical fix