Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dakota Pipeline Suffers First Spill

OverSword

17 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Going back to the subject of oil and alternatives, I think the main areas that will need to be focussed on are air travel and heavy goods vehicles; there are already practical alternatives for cars, buses and shipping (there's a lot of research into hybrid/electric propulsion for short distance ferries and the like, and gas is looking very much like the fuel of the future for deep-sea shipping), but it's for aircraft and long distance trucks that they're going to have to concentrate on next, electric propulsion generated by solar panels has been demonstrated on ultra-light aircraft (Solar Impulse), but it'll take a lot of development to make it practical for airliners capable of carrying hundreds of people. Perhaps airships might make a comeback, that's what I've often thought about; they have very big lifting capacity, even if they are a lot slower, and they could incorporate solar panels into the skin and have virtually unlimited endurance. But would it be possible to power something with the capacity and the speed of a current jet airliner by electric power? Could hydrogen or something be a practical alternative? 

It's possible but because hydrogen's density is low it either has to be cooled or stored at very high pressure and the specialized equipment to do that will add weight to the aircraft.

I doubt that this is an idea that many would give the time of day to again: Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion

3 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I doubt that this is an idea that many would give the time of day to again: Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion

There are several very good reasons why nuclear propulsion for aircraft was abandoned back in the 60's.

- The effects of what happens if a plane craches.

- The neccesary shielding would make the planes very heavy.

- You need to  keep the reactor cool even when the plane isn't flying, so they could only operate from specially prepared airports. 

- Cost.

- The development of intercontinental ballistic missiles meant that there wasn't any need for them in the first place.

- There is of course also the question that not may people would like to have nuclear reactors flying over their heads all the time.

Nuclear proppuslion for aircraft is one of those technologies that sound good on paper but in practice they don't work. I can see a possible future for nuclear powered spacecrafts though. We allready have done so on a small scale.

On 2017-05-11 at 10:37 AM, aztek said:

fact is pipelines are not only a lot cheaper, than truck or rails, but also safer.  so i do not get these environment warriors mentally at all, 

http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-01-27-oil-pipelines-vs-rail-transport-the-statistics-on-spills-vs-safety-point-to-a-clear-winner.html#

we have to move oil, there is no debate about it, pipelines are safest way, so what are they complaining?

Agree completly

Edited by The Silver Thong
It`s in French
  • Like 2